Sign in to follow this  
solwell1

Four seasons?

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

How do you get snowfall with visible lush summer green vegetation?  It would look absurd...! !

If they can transform 2d images into a 3d world, don't you think they have the know how and computing power to transform a summery scenery into a winter scenery? Or simply use e.g. winter images as data source instead? With access to billions of high resolution satellite images, analyzing and simulating climate conditions doesn't seem like their biggest problem to solve.

I've been told that X-plane did it completely wrong from the beginning, making it harder and harder to implement seasons and as far as I know they've pretty much given up on that. Seeing how MSFS is implementing things, it's a totally different story. Implementing seasons for them doesn't seem that hard. It might even make sense to not have it from the beginning as they're likely still learning and optimizing the core engine. Do one thing first and do it really well, then add upon that. I'm not that worried.

2 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

If they can transform 2d images into a 3d world, don't you think they have the know how and computing power to transform a summery scenery into a winter scenery? Or simply use e.g. winter images as data source instead? With access to billions of high resolution satellite images, analyzing and simulating climate conditions doesn't seem like their biggest problem to solve.

I've been told that X-plane did it completely wrong from the beginning, making it harder and harder to implement seasons and as far as I know they've pretty much given up on that. Seeing how MSFS is implementing things, it's a totally different story. Implementing seasons for them doesn't seem that hard. It might even make sense to not have it from the beginning as they're likely still learning and optimizing the core engine. Do one thing first and do it really well, then add upon that. I'm not that worried.

Good point!

I hope you are right!

Chris Camp

5 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

So they will re-texture 2 petabytes of scenery for four different seasons = 8 petabytes at what cost. they used Bing summer texture because they had access to it at no cost.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

6 minutes ago, rjfry said:

So they will re-texture 2 petabytes of scenery for four different seasons = 8 petabytes at what cost. they used Bing summer texture because they had access to it at no cost.  

No one is retexturing anything. If they get it working, it'll be shader based.

• Like 1

@rjfryThat is not how they’ll do it, technology has moved on considerably in the last 13 years. They’ve already said the engine is capable of doing it. 

Edited by Superdelphinus

4 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

@rjfryThat is not how they’ll do it, technology has moved on considerably in the last 13 years. They’ve already said the engine is capable of doing it. 

Like I say let me know when they have implemented it I will have a look before buying, I have spent 20 years flying in seasons which I enjoy more now and I am not ready to give that up.

Flying out of Innsbruck in winter keeps me flying. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

If it looks like other engines that use similar technology it will look far better and more dynamic than you’ve seen in fsx/ p3d, which are essentially just baked in postcards to whatever season they’re depicting. 

• Upvote 1

Ok just putting a non educated prediction on this topic, not only do I reckon they will properly depict season, I would not be surprised if they could inject forest fires and its smoke and active volcanic ash clouds and particle ingestion 

Please dont ask for a link it's just my 2 cents, on what could be possible, complete conjecture.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

8 minutes ago, stephenbgs said:

Ok just putting a non educated prediction on this topic, not only do I reckon they will properly depict season, I would not be surprised if they could inject forest fires and its smoke and active volcanic ash clouds and particle ingestion 

Please dont ask for a link it's just my 2 cents, on what could be possible, complete conjecture.

It is possible now too, so why not.

48829339992_b0e89124e6_b.jpg

48828802578_7c289016e1_b.jpg

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

11 minutes ago, stephenbgs said:

Already been done in FSX special effects slider to max fireworks in the water wales orcas sea birds animals in Africa. 

Raymond Fry.

49 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

Capable and cost effective are two different issues though!

2 petabytes per season and having to pay for additional satellite imagery may be the tipping point!

Although I would gladly pay extra for it!

Chris Camp

6 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

It is definitely not in the current build, but they confirmed they are working on it and it is one of the highest priority areas so I think it’s safe to assume it will be in when it goes gold. 

Where was that confirmed?

When it goes Gold ?? is that after they finish working on the Xbox port over say 2021. 

I will be deep into P3Dv5 by then.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

3 minutes ago, rjfry said:

When it goes Gold ?? is that after they finish working on the Xbox port over say 2021. 

I will be deep into P3Dv5 by then.

<deep southern accent>....well good for you.

This could be the opening for ORBX I will gladly forgo the 2 petabytes of scenery for BASE ,OLC , for all regions with seasons and pay for it and then be able to sim off line. 

Raymond Fry.