Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
solwell1

Four seasons?

Recommended Posts

AFAIK there will be no seasons upon release. Not being able to fly e.g. in the Austrian, French or Swiss alps, or Alaska in winter is a real downer 😞

Edited by FDEdev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just posted about this too, sorry for the duplicate.  Yeah, I want seasons.  X-enviro in X-plane is the only real game in town on that platform that looks good (but it's still in development), P3D has seasonal tiles that are not dynamic.  I really hope that MSFS comes up with something better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a few times that it’s number 1 or 2 in their priority list now so no doubt (in my mind at least) that visible seasons will be in there at launch - it looks like the actual weather part of it already is. One downside to the weather as it is at the moment that I read or watched somewhere, was that it currently operates in ‘squares’ and could jolt from one set of conditions to another if you were crossing over between squares, but I think they are still working on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, we must must define what a season is. I see three main parameters

- the variation of the height of the sun in the sky over the year.

- real-time, seasonal weather including precipitations and fog. 

-  how much the ground reflects the weather : snow accumulation, ice, drought etc.  

The first two will be implemented with a notable improvement of the atmospheric light. The third is still in doubt at that stage. This is at least what I understand.

  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals -

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superdelphinus said:

One downside to the weather as it is at the moment that I read or watched somewhere, was that it currently operates in ‘squares’ and could jolt from one set of conditions to another if you were crossing over between squares, but I think they are still working on it. 

Snow accumulation in FSX/P3D is by squares.  The actual weather transitions the way you'd expect.  Usually. 🙂

Hook


Larry Hookins

 

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously we're all guessing here as there is no official statement. However, everything points to no at the moment. Not only have they not showing any winter images but they only mentioned rain as precipitation.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sticky said:

Obviously we're all guessing here as there is no official statement. However, everything points to no at the moment. Not only have they not showing any winter images but they only mentioned rain as precipitation.... 

It is definitely not in the current build, but they confirmed they are working on it and it is one of the highest priority areas so I think it’s safe to assume it will be in when it goes gold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, domkle said:

Again, we must must define what a season is. I see three main parameters

- the variation of the height of the sun in the sky over the year.

- real-time, seasonal weather including precipitations and fog. 

-  how much the ground reflects the weather : snow accumulation, ice, drought etc.  

The first two will be implemented with a notable improvement of the atmospheric light. The third is still in doubt at that stage. This is at least what I understand.

Add:   - colour of vegetation and leaves on/off trees..

  • Upvote 5

Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHAT A REAL BUMMER...!!!!

 

I could care less about the orange leaves BUT:

 

This means no more ICING EFFECTS on any AC!!!

 

De-Icing now will be useless... They might as well remove Piot Heat and all deicing panel switches from all MSFS AC and Add-on ACV cause we will be simming in an alternate universe where the effects of cold weather and icing doesn't exist!

 

What a step down from realism!

 

 

 

 

.

Edited by Kilo60
  • Like 1

Chris Camp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pitbull2504 said:

and if possible with hail 😉

Seasons are partly depicted by weather and it ain't weather, unless:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwIUqzQ0FF1Qlz0jjRBPP

  • Like 1

Ryzen 3700X 4.4GHz(PBO) / Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 / ASUS GTX 1070 O8G / 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz / triple monitor

P3Dv5 HF1 + FS Global Ultimate NG + ORBX + ASP3D (beta) + ChasePlane + WIN 10 Pro
QW 757 787 / AS A32x A330 / MJC Dash 8 / A2A PA-28 / JF C152 / PA A380 / PMDG 737NGX  777 / FT E-Jets v2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

AFAIK there will be no seasons upon release. Not being able to fly e.g. in the Austrian, French or Swiss alps, or Alaska in winter is a real downer 😞

Has anyone from the development team actually said this?   Not trying for snark, instead just wondering if there’s something I missed. 

Short of an official statement, I’m going to continue to bet that we’ll see seasons eventually in a future build. The fact that they’re not there yet might suggest that they’re being done procedurally - which would be a big advantage, because that way it might be possible to match the ground conditions to the weather. That’s something I’d like to see - on my home turf in the Mid-Atlantic, we sometimes have major snowfalls, but for much of the winter the ground is snowless. Right now, I often set the clock back to November 30 to kill the hard winter textures. A sim that could read and then build the current conditions would be a big step forward. 

Of course all of that is speculation on my part, so I’d be interested to find out what if anything we actually know.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2


Alan Ampolsk

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!"
-- Saint-Exupery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Snow accumulation in FSX/P3D is by squares.  The actual weather transitions the way you'd expect.  Usually. 🙂

Hook

I hope not to see anymore the "shotgun" transition between snowy and non snowy ground areas we have now. 

  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals -

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    22%
    $5,550.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...