Hello everybody,

After 2 years I'm trying to rebuild my system. I replaced some items of my pc like te GPU (1060 3GB to 1660TI) and a second RAM strip, 8GB DDR4. Unfortunately I'm getting a lot of Kernelbase errors etc, so I decided I want to rebuild my system, with some of my old parts. 

What I have now is:

-Ryzen 5 1060 

-GTX1660 TI

-Asrock A320M-DGS

-2x8GB Ram DDR 4 (maybe won't work together, sometimes Kernelbase error which can mean a memory issue)

-PSU Corsair VS450

2TB HDD Seagate Barracuda+3TB HDD Seagate Barracuda

I know I want to keep my GPU and maybe my HDD's (when completely formatted, and for sure I want to buy a new motherboard, a new CPU, probably the 3800X and maybe a SSD to speed up the whole pc. Could you guys give me some suggestions about what to buy new and what to keep? To be clear: I don't want to build a completely new PC, because I haven't got enought money, I just want to swap some parts, but rebuilt the whole thing. I hope that with that way I get rid of my errors and the bad frames.

Sims i'm using are P3D and XP11, and I really want to use MSFS when its out, but i'm not sure what kind of pc you'll need for that (maybe with cloud computing you won't need a strong pc)

Cheers,

Jelle

Is the second RAM stick a matched pair? IE identical to the first stick?  Sometimes even with the same stick (like a second stick from a new box) I've had blue screens and weird errors.

I'd avoid AMD overall as well.  But that would be a new build for you so maybe just save up your cash?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Is the second RAM stick a matched pair? IE identical to the first stick?  Sometimes even with the same stick (like a second stick from a new box) I've had blue screens and weird errors.

I'd avoid AMD overall as well.  But that would be a new build for you so maybe just save up your cash?

Yes, it were 2 different 8GB ddr4 ram, but I dont know if that was the issue. I now have the following build in my mind:

MSI B450 Tomahawk, Ryzen 3700x, 1660TI, 2x8GB Ballistix, Gigabyte B700H

Is this a good future proof setup, for good fps etc?

1 minute ago, Jelle123 said:

Yes, it were 2 different 8GB ddr4 ram, but I dont know if that was the issue. I now have the following build in my mind:

MSI B450 Tomahawk, Ryzen 3700x, 1660TI, 2x8GB Ballistix, Gigabyte B700H

Is this a good future proof setup, for good fps etc?

Well I don't have much experience with recent AMD boards and processors.  I would recommend Intel though for power and performance.  Something like the 9700K with 16GB ram....and video card maybe GTX 1080 minimum....but I like the new RTX 2070 Super.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm sorry, I alreafy have bought the 1660TI. Should be a pretty good card for the money. I stil don't know if I want to go for Intel or Amd, I read everywhere that intel is better at single core perf, but they are more expensive. The direct opponent to the 3700x is the 9700K, but it doesnt have a cooler and doesnt have threads. Can you advise me?

On 10/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, Jelle123 said:

I'm sorry, I alreafy have bought the 1660TI. Should be a pretty good card for the money. I stil don't know if I want to go for Intel or Amd, I read everywhere that intel is better at single core perf, but they are more expensive. The direct opponent to the 3700x is the 9700K, but it doesnt have a cooler and doesnt have threads. Can you advise me?

Flight simulators run best on Intel CPUs.  That being said, the 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs are good CPUs, very close in performance to Intel's best and also very good value.  

Personally, I went with a 9900k for my most recent flight sim rig.  It costs a bit more than a 9700k, but anyone attempting to buy a Ryzen CPU right now may encounter sticker shock once they see what the demand has done to both the availability and the price of these 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs.  The 12-core 3900x was recently selling for $800 on Amazon, though I see today that they have brought this down closer to the MSRP with a recent price cut.  

Anyway, a 3700x will be a good CPU for sims, a 9700k or 9900k will be better, but at a price.  You would of course need to buy a new motherboard to move to an Intel CPU, I'm guessing you've budgeted for a CPU upgrade only at this point and may not be prepared to spend $500-700 to switch to Intel, and that's totally understandable.  

You could upgrade to 3700x today and see significant performance gains over your current CPU, no doubt about it.  If budget is a concern, this is probably your best choice.  Otherwise, if you want the best performance, perhaps saving for a 9700k or 9900k will be the better choice for you.

17 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Flight simulators run best on Intel CPUs.  That being said, the 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs are good CPUs, very close in performance to Intel's best and also very good value.  

Personally, I went with a 9900k for my most recent flight sim rig.  It costs a bit more than a 9700k, but anyone attempting to buy a Ryzen CPU right now may encounter sticker shock once they see what the demand has done to both the availability and the price of these 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs.  The 12-core 3900x was recently selling for $800 on Amazon, though I see today that they have brought this down closer to the MSRP with a recent price cut.  

Anyway, a 3700x will be a good CPU for sims, a 9700k or 9900k will be better, but at a price.  You would of course need to buy a new motherboard to move to an Intel CPU, I'm guessing you've budgeted for a CPU upgrade only at this point and may not be prepared to spend $500-700 to switch to Intel, and that's totally understandable.  

You could upgrade to 3700x today and see significant performance gains over your current CPU, no doubt about it.  If budget is a concern, this is probably your best choice.  Otherwise, if you want the best performance, perhaps saving for a 9700k or 9900k will be the better choice for you.

Alright, thanks. I think I'll go for the Ryzen 3700x then. Does the motherboard have an impact on frames as well? I now have a Asrock A320M-DGS whick supports the 3700x with a BIOS update, but I think I'll go for the MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX. Is this worth the money, and could you see a difference with a new motherboard?

On 10/5/2019 at 5:45 AM, Jelle123 said:

Alright, thanks. I think I'll go for the Ryzen 3700x then. Does the motherboard have an impact on frames as well? I now have a Asrock A320M-DGS whick supports the 3700x with a BIOS update, but I think I'll go for the MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX. Is this worth the money, and could you see a difference with a new motherboard?

Potentially, yes.  

Motherboards control the voltage and amperage provided to the processor through the use of Voltage Regulator Modules (VRMs).  The A320 chipset is the entry-level chipset for AMD Ryzen CPUs, and is intended to be used by motherboard manufacturers to create products that address the low-cost market.  Any time you take a high-end CPU like the 3700x and run it on a motherboard intended for use in a budget-oriented system, you run the risk of reduced performance or even damage over time.  I can't say that this will absolutely occur, I only intend to advise of the potential consequences and cannot truly quantify the risks.  If you want to be sure that you're getting the most out of your CPU, and also that you are not likely to wear out your motherboard's VRM circuitry prematurely, a new motherboard would be advisable.  

That being said, if you're contemplating a new motherboard purchase, your total cost has now risen to the point that you could just switch to Intel.  

I don't know your budget or your future upgrade plans so it's hard to make a recommendation without that information.  If you're the kind of person that doesn't like to replace computer equipment often, the best solution you can afford is probably your best option, and this usually means spending a bit more.  If you don't mind say, swapping out your motherboard in a year for something more robust, then going with the 3700x and your current motherboard isn't a bad option either.