Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

PMDG and MSFS2020

I believe the new MSFS2020 sim has created a big havoc in PMDG's development roadmap that was very much a development roadmap based on P3D as the flightsim platform.
How will they now move forward? Luckily they haven't invested much in XPLANE11.

Alternatives ahead:
1. No changes. Stick to P3D.                                                                                             Why when the majority of simmers will move to MSFS2020?
2. Split the dev team to go for both MSFS2020 and P3D.                                                 Costly, but the safest route.
3. Move all resources to MSFS2020, but support P3D until the next main release V5.    Not that easy to do as MSFS2020 is not mature and who really knows MS plans.

I guess we will soon (at least before summer 2020) know more.

Anyway, I wish PMDG the best in the future and  I am sure they find their way forward without listening to my wild guesses. 🙂

Edited by roarkr

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

I mean I am seeing excitement from the non-sim community like I have never seen before. If PMDG play their cards right, get something high quality that doesn't slow people's hardware to a crawl, MSFS2020 could be the biggest thing to happen to the simulator world since the days where everyone got a copy of MSFS with their Windows 95 installation and they could be right there to reap the rewards. 

They just have to make it high quality, high fidelity BUT also easy for newbs to come in and learn. The review I watched said that you can have startup procedures where it will highlight the next switch in your checklist, stuff like that. 

Edited by snwboardn
  • Like 2

Tyson Rose

I really hope that their products as well as addons from other publisher will be on the official flight sim store. One click to install or re-install everything is the way to go.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bendead said:

I really hope that their products as well as addons from other publisher will be on the official flight sim store. One click to install or re-install everything is the way to go.

I actually had the same idea today. Apparently the interface shows the globe where you would chose your starting point. Imagine you could use this globe to check out what add-ons are available. For example you would click on EGLL and you'd see a list of all the EGLL's available. You would purchase whatever you want to have and MSFS would automatically install it or feed in online, just how they are doing with the world. The developers would upload it beforehand. Just an idea ;-). The same thing can be done in the "Virtual hangar" where you have a list of aircraft that you either have or can be purchased.

Edited by OSJJ1985
  • Upvote 1

Well, we really don’t know much how 3rd party addons are going to be accepted or implemented in MSFS....

They could set the sim up so only official licensed items are allowed from their Microsoft store on PC and Xbox from which they get a cut which could completely cut into development overhead for outfits like PMDG!

If you read Randazzos official post on MSFS2020 his isn’t very optimistic based on past practices and behaviors from Microsoft!  

• Like 1

Chris Camp

I hope we don't have to rely only on PMDG for quality jets in the first place. i hope a new simulator brings in also new developers.

That being said, PMDG is a business. They jumped from FSX to P3D for that reason, they'll continue to jump on other sims as long as they think they can earn money.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

4 hours ago, france89 said:

PMDG is a business. They jumped from FSX to P3D for that reason, they'll continue to jump on other sims as long as they think they can earn money.

Probably PMDG will jump on FS2020 and pretend that is not an upgrade as they didfor the the jump from FSX to P3D. Like the other jump I will never pay full price for an upgrade even if its a new framework and its for this reason I discovered TFDi 717. Qw 787 and Fslabs. Thanks Mr Randazzos 😉

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

i7-8700K 3.70 GHz, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung SSD 840 840 EVO 1TB,  RAM 16 GB, Triple Monitors : 2 LG and Planar touch screen PCT 2265 as main monitor,  Windows 10 up to date 🙂

5 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

If you read Randazzos official post on MSFS2020 his isn’t very optimistic based on past practices and behaviors from Microsoft!  

He's hardly unbiased though. Of course he's against something that introduces competition and eats into his margins. I don't mind MS getting a small cut to give them revenue to keep investing in flight simulation.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Well I will be sticking around P3Dv4.xx now I know there are no seasons in MSFS an will be sticking with my PMDG as even if they do something in MSFS I don't see it before 2021 if not later.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Are you unhappy about the potential unavailability of seasons upon MFS release? I would've never guessed! If only you'd mentioned it more times in more places...

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

15 minutes ago, pilecan said:

Probably PMDG will jump on FS2020 and pretend that is not an upgrade as they didfor the the jump from FSX to P3D. Like the other jump I will never pay full price for an upgrade even if its a new framework and its for this reason I discovered TFDi 717. Qw 787 and Fslabs. Thanks Mr Randazzos 😉

While I agree with you that the PMDG approach to charging full price for the P3D ports of their products was questionable I would suggest that this is an entirely new platform. If, as hinted at by the Asobo team, legacy products will be compatible with the new sim (within reason) then it would be interesting to see how 3rd party devs (and not just PMDG) decide to handle it. If, however, a newly coded aircraft specifically written for the new platform is introduced then I would expect to pay full price for that software.

Cheers!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I think the PMDG management app looks specifically for FSX / P3D / Xplane.  They will easily not allow the installation of their FSX legacy aircraft into FS2020 by default.

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

I'm happy to pay full price again for PMDG aircraft on FS2020.

Starting today I'm never buying another add-on for any platform other than FS2020.

I hope PMDG release products for FS2020 asap, if not, oh well, "Alas poor Yorick! I knew him"...

• Like 1

Matthew S