Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

PMDG and MSFS2020

31 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

While I agree with you that the PMDG approach to charging full price for the P3D ports of their products was questionable I would suggest that this is an entirely new platform. If, as hinted at by the Asobo team, legacy products will be compatible with the new sim (within reason) then it would be interesting to see how 3rd party devs (and not just PMDG) decide to handle it. If, however, a newly coded aircraft specifically written for the new platform is introduced then I would expect to pay full price for that software.

I agree with you that MS2020 is completely a new platform (unknown until now) and I understand that it requires an adaptation of the code and retest the birds. However what I do not understand of PMDG is the migration of FSX towards P3D v1 not the v4 which was billed to us as if it was a new product. It's odd that simple little kackers have successfully migrated from FSX to p3d v1 just bypassing their installation tool. This suggests that they did not work very hard for this migration. Maybe I'm wrong but why FSLabs, TFDI and even Lockhead P3D we did not pay full price each time they make an update ....

By the way, I still love driving my PMDG 737-600 / 700/800/900 and 777-200 / 300 as well as their beautiful J $ 41 and MD-11 on FSX but I will not pay the same price for the same product no matter the platform ...

Cheers too 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-8700K 3.70 GHz, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung SSD 840 840 EVO 1TB,  RAM 16 GB, Triple Monitors : 2 LG and Planar touch screen PCT 2265 as main monitor,  Windows 10 up to date 🙂

57 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Are you unhappy about the potential unavailability of seasons upon MFS release? I would've never guessed! If only you'd mentioned it more times in more places...

You mean like the VR word not allowed.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

With MSFS being still built on the Basic core of FSX it should make it somewhat easier for the addon developers to port stuff over
With MSFS being still built on the Basic core of FSX it could be pretty crappy too!

33 minutes ago, rjfry said:

You mean like the VR word not allowed.

grumpy_old_man.jpg?w=584

8 hours ago, roarkr said:

I believe the new MSFS2020 sim has created a big havoc in PMDG's development roadmap

Havoc?   eeeh maybe?

Speedbump, more likely... opportunity? For certain.

You may recall that Prepar3D created a similar speedbump upon its release for not only PMDG, but for nearly every other developer in the hobby, Then, P3D v4 with its fancy 64-bit architecture... oh my...  a HUGE set of speedbumps that, low and behold, pretty much all who were worthy overcame.

What was once havoc and mayhem turned into the norm. So too will 2020 evolve onto the market.

We want the world and we want it now. But as I constantly remind my 2nd grader... you can't always get what you want.

Patience, young jedis..  patience...

Good times lie ahead...

Edited by greggerm
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, roarkr said:

No changes. Stick to P3D

No chance

I'm really hoping that the new FS2020 brings the talented developers from the XP space into MSFS with regards new aircraft.  It would be really amazing if those guys could fill the gaps that PMDG have not committed to - 757, 767 etc

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Well, expecting free upgrades has been spoken about many many times in the past.

Microsoft Flight Simulator MUST be regarded as a totally new sim, therefore, all payware offerings must be paid for.

Remember, it's not just a simple porting of FSX/P3D's aircraft, as the developers of the new sim have stated that, whereas the older aircraft have only a single 'control' point, aircraft in MSFS will have 1000 per contact surface. So, flight characteristics will be uncomparable to the older sims. So, you gotta pay for the difference!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

12 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Remember, it's not just a simple porting of FSX/P3D's aircraft, as the developers of the new sim have stated that, whereas the older aircraft have only a single 'control' point, aircraft in MSFS will have 1000 per contact surface.

There will be the ability to do port overs of older air.files.  But that will have a stand alone module to manage it.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1

True.. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

18 minutes ago, ErichB said:

There will be the ability to do port overs of older air.files.  But that will have a stand alone module to manage it.

Would be awesome.. flying the addons we have today (fsx) in msfs 2020 would keep me busy the next 5 years 

Edited by Sam

I don't think simple port overs would scratch my itch for long to be honest. The flight dynamic and visual bar has been raised so high by the new sim's default GA I think much of the FSX stuff would look jarringly out of place without major upgrades to the model and new texturing. Not to mention the performance impact, as the new defaults use far less textures and rely on polies more to achieve close up detail.

• Like 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

34 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I don't think simple port overs would scratch my itch for long to be honest. The flight dynamic and visual bar has been raised so high by the new sim's default GA I think much of the FSX stuff would look jarringly out of place without major upgrades to the model and new texturing. Not to mention the performance impact, as the new defaults use far less textures and rely on polies more to achieve close up detail.

I'm with you on that one.  But the functionality is there to accommodate it.  Apparently

Edited by ErichB

RSR et al are likely too proud for MSFS at this point.  Afterall, they're the "professional" option.  My prediction is that we will soon see a "do not run our aircraft in this sim" policy announcement from PMDG, despite the backward compatibility mode intended to run FSX add-on aircraft.  They can shoot their own feet off all day long for all I care.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2