Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Do I need a new CMOS battery?

Along with some hard crashes I've been having I also noticed once in a while my date and time is wrong....just an hour and half or so off.

Do I need a new battery?  And if I put one in will I lose all my BIOS settings?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think I definitely need a new battery...  and I think I've done this before and it wipes BIOS.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan,

I suppose it depends on your MB BIOS and whether it has provision to save BIOS settings and restore them after the battery change. One option is to take screen pics, with your camera or phone, of all the bios screens and refer to the pics to manually reset all your bios settings.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Ooof I must have skipped that part thanks!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I've put a new one in...at first I was worried because it went to the original BIOS (the non UEFI one) but then I ran setup and we're back in so that's good.

Now to see if it helps my issue I posted in the XP11 forums.  I also did run the DDU program in safe mode and that seemed to work fine.

Thanks @Rob_Ainscough

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

10 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

As I stated before in one of your other threads, a CMOS battery will last 5-7 years, your motherboard is over 5 years old so my recommendation remains the same ... yes, replace the battery.  I've heard that if you replace it fast enough you might not lose the settings, but it would be safe to assume you will lose the settings.  Take pictures or save the profile to a USB stick.  Most EFI/BIOS will require the USB stick be inserted before you boot into the BIOS.

Cheers, Rob.

That was exactly what I was going to write.  5+ years?  Replace it.  It costs roughly $3.00, so no harm in doing it.

Note however that there are other motherboard issues which could also cause this.  If you replace the battery and still have issues, AND you overclock, remove the overclock and see if that resolves things.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

normally if you unplugg the power from the wall and change battery , it reset bios to default and the time from bios with old bios the time can be several years old.

you can fire up the pc without battarey load a saved profile from bios set time , then shutdown pc when you start it you have all settengs time etc as when you shut it down --- until you unplug the power from the wall or back of the psu.

when extreme oc its common to run without battery , wery fast to reset bios if you get boot problem.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:01 AM, ryanbatcund said:

Along with some hard crashes I've been having I also noticed once in a while my date and time is wrong....just an hour and half or so off.

Do I need a new battery?  And if I put one in will I lose all my BIOS settings?

this begin with Haswell and win 10? havent you a 2500k 

i remember when bench 2D in HWboot we was not aloud to bench Haswell with win8 then later win10 the RTC clock was affected when OC the bclk , win 7 is ok no problem with the RTC

here a old video that you see it in action

Edited by westman

I'm using a 4790k with Z97 Pro wifi (got the hardware from a nice member here)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

The CMOS battery only supplies power when there is no external power to the system. With a modern motherboard, unless your PSU is switched off (if it has it's own power switch) or it's not plugged into a live wall socket, there's always power available as it uses a soft-off - a 5vDC line is always going to the MB which lets you turn on the computer with the keyboard. If you switch off at the wall as well as shutting down through Windows, then the CMOS battery will be used but should still last several years.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit