Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Whew!

Guest P3_Super_Bee

>I never cease to be astonished by the mean mindedness of some>posters here. I suspect that - like me - they've never had>responsibility for the lives of a plane-load of passengers in>a situation where an error could not only cause the deaths of>their passengers but also of themselves.Everyday, I release aircraft "Safe For Flight" Not sure what the civilian world calls it. I run the maintenance department and the aircraft can not go flying unless I release it(or someone with same quals). -Note the aircraft commander has the authority to release his own aircraft "Safe For Flight" but have yet to see one do it when a Maintenance Controller is standing there saying "I'm not releasing it"It's the people that don't have a clue that need to get a grip. The guy did nothing more than their JOB. They do not deserve all the "Hero" BS the everyone are giving them. By the way, all the Pilots I work with say samething... "The guy did his job, what's the big deal?"http://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpg

Guest TWVA395

They were just doing their job? Sure they're trained for emergencies, but please show me the 'nose gear is turned 90* to the right/left checklist' and then I'll buy into the statement: they don't deserve recognition. I wouldn't call them heros, but to not even give credit is unfair. I'd like to see you land a REAL A320 (as well as they did, without autoland) with the nosegear pointed straightahead.http://www.kthxdone.com/images/kw_ft.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

Don't know about the REAL A320, but on the REAL EMB-145, that actually is a QRH Memory Item. Embraer 145s have had enough incidents with the nosewheel steering suddenly jamming into a full deflection position like that, that failure was programmed into our sims last year and a memory procedure added. This thing with the JetBlue plane seems to be the first time the general public has actually found out about this particular kind of failure. But it actually occurs quite frequently as others have shown with posted links, and not just on Airbuses.Again, if you asked those two gentlemen whether they were heroes, they would say what any of us in that profession would say..."I'm just doing my job."The general publics' reaction to anything aviation always seems blown out of proportion, whether blown out of proportion negatively or positively, it is always out of proportion to the actual magnitude of the mistake or the feat.

>The general publics' reaction to anything aviation always>seems blown out of proportion, whether blown out of proportion>negatively or positively, it is always out of proportion to>the actual magnitude of the mistake or the feat.I absolutely agree. I think it is due to relative ignorance about aviation in general among general population. Plus flying is still considered 'magical' to many.Michael J.

Guest TWVA395

I understand that the public blows it out of proportion. But it seems like we're getting the exact opposite here from 'aviation professionals.' Recognition for doing an excellent job is one thing, being ignored and disregarding a well handeled emergency is another. After talking to several Alaska pilots, they all joked that he was 12 inches off of center-line, but they came to the agreement that what he did was outstanding for something that is not normally trained for. If you don't believe me, I can provide contact information. http://www.kthxdone.com/images/kw_ft.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

>>Everyday, I release aircraft "Safe For Flight" Not sure what>the civilian world calls it. I run the maintenance department>and the aircraft can not go flying unless I release it(or>someone with same quals). >That's nowhere near the same level of responsibility. If you're in doubt you can just refuse to release an aircraft and walk away. A pilot faced with an emergency in flight can't!

Nobody is saying they didn't do a great job. But this is the job expected of them and all this bonus and heroe talk from laypeople and student pilots is what is ridiculous.

Guest P3_Super_Bee

>>>>Everyday, I release aircraft "Safe For Flight" Not sure>what>>the civilian world calls it. I run the maintenance>department>>and the aircraft can not go flying unless I release it(or>>someone with same quals). >>>>That's nowhere near the same level of responsibility. If>you're in doubt you can just refuse to release an aircraft and>walk away. A pilot faced with an emergency in flight can't!It is and it isn't... Not saying at all my position is more important, just a part, as is the job of a Pilot, of a complex puzzle called avaition. There could be the pressure of gettin' "that flight" out.Been on many a in-flight emergencies, been in the flight station for most of them(happens to be where I sit most of the time), have first hand seen Pilots/crew in action, doing nothing more than what they are trained for. What I am, along with Kevin is saying, this has been blown totally out of proportion. And it has been blown out by people that don't have the first clue. They did nothing totally out of the ordinary... This remember is at LEAST the 7th time this landing has been done, and probalby won't be the last. As I said earlier, Let's talk Al Haynes or Robert Schomsheimer & Mimi Tompkins, then we can talk "heros".http://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpg

>Nobody is saying they didn't do a great job. But this is the>job expected of them and all this bonus and heroe talk from>laypeople and student pilots is what is ridiculous.I'm neither a layperson nor a student pilot but a professional aeronautical engineer with a lapsed PPL so there's no need for your sneering comments. I worked on flight dynamics in the military aircraft industry in the UK and got to know the test pilots well. Their job was to bring faulty aircraft back so they could be investigated, risking their own lives, rather than abandoning the aircraft. When they did that, we let them know we appreciated that they had done a good job - and quite rightly too.

>...here from>'aviation professionals.' BTW, I like your technique here. Quite subtlely disrespectful. I like it!

>I'm neither a layperson nor a student pilot but a professional>aeronautical engineer with a lapsed PPL so there's no need for>your sneering comments. >When you write a phrase such as "exact opposite here from 'aviation professionals.'..." The use of quote/unquote can be taken as a sneering, subtle and disrespectful use of language. Hence a sneering reply. One should be able to take it as they dish it.

>When you write a phrase such as "exact opposite here from>'aviation professionals.'..." The use of quote/unquote can be>taken as a sneering, subtle and disrespectful use of language.> Hence a sneering reply. One should be able to take it as>they dish it.Where did I write that?

You didn't. The sneering reply was to Ken Weik. When a thread gets long like this, it is often a good idea to go to the top and hit the "View in Threaded Mode" button so that you can see who is actually replying to who. Whereas in "Linear Mode", which I bet you are on right now, all replies just get placed one after the other and miscommunication can result. And there's nothing sneering about my use of quotes here.

>You didn't. The sneering reply was to Ken Weik. When a>thread gets long like this, it is often a good idea to go to>the top and hit the "View in Threaded Mode" button so that you>can see who is actually replying to who. Whereas in "Linear>Mode", which I bet you are on right now, all replies just get>placed one after the other and miscommunication can result. >And there's nothing sneering about my use of quotes here.The reply wasn't to Ken Weik, it was to me. Your post #40 was a reply to my post #38 - check it in threaded mode, which I always use so your advice was wasted. Your post also contains a quote from my post.

Your #38 was a reply to my #36 which was a reply to Ken's #34. My #40 was worded to manipulate you to write exactly what you wrote in #41 so that you would understand your original error in #38.