Sign in to follow this  
bjones505

Hong Kong VHHH Issue

Good evening!

I've been racking my brain for the past three days trying to solve an issue with VoxATC and Hong Kong VHHH. I'm running P3D v4.5, VoxATC v7.42 with AIG traffic/flight plans, and Taxi2Gate's VHHH. When starting a fresh session, I'll activate Vox and watch within minutes as an approaching aircraft lands, decels, then runs all the way to the end of the runway and stops on the blast pad. I've tried setting the weather to force landing both ways on 07L/25R to the same effect. Using ADE, I explored T2G's AFCAD. They have it setup to land only on 07L/25R and takeoff 07R/25L. I've checked for bad paths, even reversed the landing pattern to the same effect. I even tried using the P3D default VHHH and the same thing happens on any runway with Vox. I can't figure out what's going on! When the plane gets stuck, Vox locks up. Traffic will still taxi to takeoff but never turn on the runway and go, and no aircraft are generated to approach and land. Vox does NOT display FATAL ERROR however, it just kind of pauses indefinitely. Default P3D AI works fine on both T2G and default VHHH. I'm at wit's end trying to figure this one out, and appreciate any help y'all may have. 

Note, I've experienced this behavior before at OrbX's Melbourne YMML. Plane lands, stops at runway end and hangs Vox. 

I just tried the stock P3d4.5 version of VHHH and it worked fine with AIG traffic. Do you hear the tower telling the AI aircraft that gets stuck to turn at the nearest intersection? With the stock VHHH AI planes took off and landed on both parallel runways. I don't have the T2G version, but Urmel from AIG has developed a revised ADE file:

https://jcai.dk/2019/01/taxi2gate-vhhh-hong-kong-international-airport/

I took a look at that file with ADE and I didn't see anything unusual about it either, other than it changed which runways can be used for takeoff and landing. 

The only difference between my setup and your description is that I'm running fsaerodata, but I can't see how that would factor into your issue. Here's what I would do:

1. Turn on advanced logging in VOXATC and take a look at the just small logfile for the aircraft that gets stuck.
  2. Try Urmel's revised ADE file. Make sure that you run the VOXATC Indexer before running P3d4 again.
  3. Download and run Little NavMap and see what files are being used for VHHH. It's possible that you have multiple 3rd party versions of VHHH installed. Payware AI traffic add-ons and ORBX add-ons like FTX Vector are notorious for silently installing hundreds of "corrected" ADE files. One thing that VOXATC hates is having multiple 3rd party versions of an airport installed.

BTW, VHHH is a great airport to watch AIG traffic. I hope that you can figure out what's wrong.

• Upvote 1

Jay, 

Thanks for your advice! I too was quite excited to watch traffic after learning AIG's OIC and installing brand new traffic. I even set up a static camera at VHHH with Chaseplane for this exact purpose, and found this problem! I've loaded in the AFCAD you linked, and used Little NavMap to identify the BGLs useed for VHHH. It shows the P3D base 0903/APX78240.bgl (I set to .off for this experiment) and set up the log for VOXATC. I'll report back what happens. 

update: same behavior with the updated AFCAD. I heard tower clear the aircraft to land 07L, but no turn next intersection from the tower. I've included a Google Drive link to the log file for Cathay 469, the landing aircraft:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/126JbJBu5NaJ9m8WtPiRuHcWIIrRootnL/view?usp=sharing

The only thing I can see is the craft seems to set what I assume is landing speed (141) then simply reports back "Terminator" and stops.

edit: I now realize I had disabled the WRONG .bgl for VHHH (OBX78240 instead of APX78240). Fixed my mistake, re-indexing and trying again! 

Edited by bjones505
revised information

Sorry for multiple posts, I want to keep record of what happens if others encounter this problem. I wasn't able to fix the issue until I did the following. I went back to the P3D default VHHH, and disabled AIG's traffic (planes and flight plans). After re-enabling stock P3D AI, I re-indexed and stock P3D VHHH and traffic works fine. Aircraft land and exit the runway as intended. I'm going to try re-enabling T2G's VHHH with the enhanced AFCAD provided earlier and I'll check back. 

edit: Here's a link to a log file for a successful landing and taxi clear: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eVUYYXOmPfyayA5lPmxhtc3H5Ycw1lQp/view?usp=sharing

edit 2: Stock P3D AI works with T2G's VHHH no problem! 

Edited by bjones505
added successful log file

Ok, new development. After confirming that stock P3D AI traffic and flight plans work fine with T2G VHHH, I decided to re-enable a bit of AIG traffic. I added ONLY Cathay Pacific, re-indexed and the problem cropped back up, planes land and go all the way to runway end and stop, locking up Vox. Using AI Flight Planner and AIG Manager, I've confirmed all flight plan styles are FSX, no FS9 flight plans are present and it looks  like the AIG aircraft seem to be configured fine (as far as wingspan, parking radius, assigned to "GATE" etc). I have no idea what this could be, but I've narrowed it down to AIG traffic and Vox playing nice. It seems that this issue is the same regardless of what aircraft is being used from the AIG catalog. 

10 hours ago, bjones505 said:

edit: I now realize I had disabled the WRONG .bgl for VHHH (OBX78240 instead of APX78240). Fixed my mistake, re-indexing and trying again! 

There is usually no reason to disable the default scenery files, as 3rd party airports often inherit information from the stock scenery files. BTW, the OBX files contain scenery objects and the APX files contain airports.

7 hours ago, bjones505 said:

It seems that this issue is the same regardless of what aircraft is being used from the AIG catalog. 

I'm at a loss why this would happen. There's nothing out of the ordinary about the AIG aircraft and flightplans. Some of the freeware AI aircraft that you find online are missing the [Radios] section in aircraft.cfg, which causes them to fail  communication with ATC. But the AIG versions all have the section to my knowledge. What is interesting is that you have only experienced this problem at two airports. You could try checking the models with AI Aircraft Editor, which will display any problems with the models:

http://www.owlsnest.eu/phpatm/index.php?action=view&filename=AIAE.NET-Setup.zip&directory=Tools

EDIT: I did think of one other difference between our setups. I use the payware versions by FSPX AI where they exist, rather than the legacy freeware versions. For example, FSPX has models for the A350 series, used by Cathay Pacific.

Also, as to the logfile for CP469, what should have happened was the ground speed should have bled off and then the tower should should have said turn at the next intersection. This almost seems like a SimConnect/FSUIPC5 issue of some sort. Make sure that you have the most recent version of FSUIPC5 installed.

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Upvote 1

Jay,

17 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

There is usually no reason to disable the default scenery files, as 3rd party airports often inherit information from the stock scenery files. BTW, the OBX files contain scenery objects and the APX files contain airports.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, I've restored the APX. 

You could try checking the models with AI Aircraft Editor, which will display any problems with the models:

Using your suggested tool, models check out fine. I also used AIFP's built-in model checker to double up, both look clear. 

EDIT: I did think of one other difference between our setups. I use the payware versions by FSPX AI where they exist, rather than the legacy freeware versions. For example, FSPX has models for the A350 series, used by Cathay Pacific.

I also use FSPXAI models for the 777 family, 787 family, A380, A350, A330 and the CS100. We even match in that accord! 

Update to all of this: something I did digging around ruined my current install. I can barely load in a flight, Vox is throwing FATAL ERROR when I do, I made a mess. I've been meaning to for quite some time but I'm stripping all my add-ons and sceneries and indeed my full P3D install for a fresh and clean install of 4.5 hotfix 2, now that I'm much better with proper methods of structure and such (add-on.xml, multiple drive add-on storage etc). I AM still working on this, and hopefully with my fiber connection and SSDs this process will only take an evening. I will report back! 

The problem is fixed! Not sure what happened, but a full clean install of P3D, VoxATC and AIG solved it. I'll report back if I find any obvious mistakes that lead to this issue. 

Good work. When a flightsim allows multiple 3rd party add-ons, it's difficult to figure out what's causing an error. Sometimes, starting over is the only option.