Sign in to follow this  
Splynn

Unable to install

Hi, I've downloaded DX10SceneryFixer_5_0_134.msi using the link from fastspring, but during install it is asking me to insert the 'DX10 Scenery Fixer' disk.

Clearly, as a installer downloaded online there is no disk. So what is the installer asking from me?

Darren

Have you unzipped the downloaded zip file and extracted the msi to your local hard drive? 

The microsoft installer can fail if it’s on a USB key or shared drive and it may also fail if you open the zip (but don’t extract) and run it from there?

Otherwise try a reboot which can sometimes clear out odd msi errors.

Edited by SteveFx

Ok I have been looking back through emails.  

The only other time anyone reported this error involved the 4.0 installer in April.  

The customer actually solved it for himself which was good as I am not sure I would have been able to resolve it for him.   He found that the problem related to the uninstall of the previous version.

He reported that if he tried uninstalling the previous version from control panel he got the same error which actually meant that windows couldn’t find the uninstaller and wanted you to insert the (imaginary) disk containing it.  

He concluded that the uninstaller which msi stores after the installation had been lost or corrupted in some pc issue/ corruption

He downloaded the freeware revo uninstaller which cleaned up the old installation and the new one then worked fine.

Yup, the other user was spot-on.

Revo uninstaller showed that a previous version of DX10 fixer was lingering around in my system and deleted the leftover files.

Installation worked fine after that. Thanks for your help!

Darren

Edited by Splynn

Yes I remember now  that when I saw his original email that I had a sinking feeling ( what on earth could cause that)  and then the next thing i hear from him is  a clear explanation of how he had resolved  it!

i have googled a bit and it seems that what the Microsoft installation process does at the end of the installation is copy the installer to a hidden directory under windows and rename it with one of those weird strings with curly brackets and numbers.  It then creates a registry entry which maps that to the product name.

When you uninstall from control panel or install an updated product version it follows that to get the original installer to run with an uninstall parameter.  Somewhere along the line that linkage must have got broken which is bit odd but there you go.