Sign in to follow this  
leon310

Cross wind landing

I look for airport with cross winds. For 10 years now I have looked for airports with cross winds. Best cross wind landing was in x-plane 11 in a piper cherokee, 50 kt cross wind landing, not once but 3 times I have made a 50 kt cross wind landing.

This makes me the best simulator pilot in the world.

Cheers

Which angle, which weather program do you talk about, Leon? And, why don't you set MANUAL weather at any airport? And, lookup your POH for allowed crosswinds (life is short...)

Fritz

We all know, from RL, that there's an effect known as "gradient" which is directly related to how the winds aloft get influenced by the ground / water proximity, and how they change direction and intensity due to that.

Austin just recently ( 11.40 ) started modelling this effect, and I am not absolutely sure how he models it, what parabola drives the gradient effect, or if it's parameters depend on other factors, but truth is that with the latest versions of X-Plane 11 it is a lot easier to taxi, takeoff and land, specially when operating smaller aircraft and GA in particular.

Yet, IMO he still has to do something for that overdone effect of variable winds on even medium to sized airliners...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I like shooting crosswind landings, but the platform makes a big difference -- whether you're in a Piper Cub or a 737. Not just the ability to shrug off stronger winds but whether you're crabbing into the wind to avoid smacking your underwing engines in an airliner, or using cross-control with a low wing to stay aligned with the runway.

Since I'm usually not in anything heavier than a PC-12 or Twin Otter, I like the cross-control method so I can stay aligned with the runway. Especially small ones. If I remember right (it was many years ago), most of the bush pilots I've hired in Central and South America used cross-control to get into tiny little bush strips and beach landings. On soft, unpaved ground it's also probably better to avoid the rudder kick on touchdown with crabbing. 

Cross-control is also good for a quick drop in altitude without gaining airspeed for some approaches, like dropping into the canyon coming from the East into CYBD (Bella Coola BC).

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

You'd think a fifty knot direct cosswind and an approach speed of 65 kt would allow you to comfortably land on a taxiway, into the wind without all the cross control agony.  

• Like 1

Certainly in something like a Cub.  🙂

With a 50kt crosswind, you should be able to land and take off again across the runway.  🙂

5 hours ago, Griphos said:

Certainly in something like a Cub.  🙂

With a 50kt crosswind, you should be able to land and take off again across the runway.  🙂

As I recall the real problem comes after you're on - keeping it on.  50 kts is a lot of airspeed when you don't want to fly anymore. 

• Like 1

Airspeed is good, your ground speed is around 10 kts. You have to drive the plane to the ground by dipping your wing and taking the lift off the wing that is into the wind. Ground speed is so slow, you can drive the plane to ground and your not going hit hard, stay off your front wheel. Once on the ground, I was able to stop the plane in less than 10 feet.

Man, I am a GREAT pilot!

Cheers

Edited by leon310

The problem with XP is how variable winds affect all sorts of aircraft...

Look at the following video, with the latest 757 v2 release ( by FF I guess... ) and during approach notice a not too intense wind, yet, variable, as you can check in the top left of the screen... 

See how the 757 keeps swinging in yaw ?  This shouldn't really be the case...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 10/2/2019 at 8:05 PM, olderndirt said:

As I recall the real problem comes after you're on - keeping it on.  50 kts is a lot of airspeed when you don't want to fly anymore. 

That's why I said take off again.  🙂  Not sure you'd have much say about that in a 50 kt wind. 

4 hours ago, Griphos said:

That's why I said take off again.  🙂  Not sure you'd have much say about that in a 50 kt wind. 

I can just see the 'Accident Report' now - PILOT ERROR, continued flight in hazardous conditions🙄.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

🙂

I think I'd find a big building and just try to land on the leeward side.  Should be able to come in like a gyro and stop once you are in the wind shadow. 

Don't be scared. A cross wind landing is very easy. Takes practice. No pilot error, I do not make errors, that is why I the best of the best.

Cheers!