Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deluca

Plane crash Bradley Airport Windsor Locks Connecticut

2 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I know they sell short rides on those old birds and they are quite expensive. Hope that's not the case here.

There were three 'crew' and 10 paying passengers on board. There has been no identification of the 2 fatalities at this time. :sad:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

During the live broadcast there was a spectator who said he saw what happened.  Apparently the engine closest to the co-pilot side sputtered and died and then made a wide banking turn and then he saw the smoke and fire.  Interestingly, someone on Collings Foundation YouTube channel asked how the #3 engine was doing 11 months ago.  But listening to ATC and the emergency contact with tower the pilot reported an issue with #4 engine.

Carmine

MSI z370 sli plus, EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 PS, i9 9900k running 4.7Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, EVGA RTX 2080TI XF ULTRA 11GB, LG 42.5in, TONS (100+ TB) of HD/SSD/RAID 0/RAID 5 boxes, Oculus Rift & Rift-S, All the Saitek controls/panels, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

There were three 'crew' and 10 paying passengers on board. There has been no identification of the 2 fatalities at this time. :sad:

This is very sad news and my heart breaks for the injured, deceased, and their loved ones. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I know they sell short rides on those old birds and they are quite expensive. Hope that's not the case here.

I have been on that B-17 on just such a ride.  That at Long Beach in 2007 or 2008.  Sad day!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

My son and I went up in that plane last summer outside of San Antonio.

RIP to crew and passengers.

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

Are they associated with the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum which have their supports forums here at AVSIM?  https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/173-mid-atlantic-air-museum-simulations-support/

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Are they associated with the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum

I do not believe directly associated.  The foundation appears to have taken its web presence off-line.  Here is a link to the Wiki page about the foundation.  It is perhaps the most prominent vintage military airshow participant, making an annual country-wide tour each year.   I have been to many airshows with Collins participating.  They also have a B-25 and B-24 on the circuit.  Horrible that this occurred.  It was while stuck in southern California traffic, seeing the Collins Liberator fly an approach to KLGB in 2008, that prompted me and work associates to go to KLGB the following day to enjoy the show there.  My Dad was a B-24 crew member in the Pacific theater during WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collings_Foundation

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Terrible.  I'm not absolutely sure that this is the B-17 that has visited SNFun but in any case, prayers for all aboard. A tragedy in more ways than we can imagine. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

On 10/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, carmined said:

During the live broadcast there was a spectator who said he saw what happened.  Apparently the engine closest to the co-pilot side sputtered and died and then made a wide banking turn and then he saw the smoke and fire.  Interestingly, someone on Collings Foundation YouTube channel asked how the #3 engine was doing 11 months ago.  But listening to ATC and the emergency contact with tower the pilot reported an issue with #4 engine.

A possibility is that they reported a problem with engine 4, and then on final engine 3 also quit, which was too much for the crew to handle. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

The airport has had it's share of mishaps over the years also. A tornado destroyed old classic metal at their museum. Another incident was a severe thunderstorm causing an aircraft to crash. No fatalities.!!!Windshear was the cause. Glass was buckling,in the tower leaving a supervisor in an evacuated building. Winds were fierce enough  that an  AA MD-80  landed skimming treetops before touching down on runway 15 grass area with heavy damage.Damage to the aircraft was at 9 million.The trees on approach have been cut down since.The FAA report is online. I am slowly healing due to what happened yesterday. I wish there were a black bunting icon in this forum.  Paul.

Edited by Paul Deluca

4 hours ago, Paul Deluca said:

The airport has had it's share of mishaps over the years also.

A sad day, but I can't let this statement go unchallenged, having flown in and out of Bradley. It's safety record is no better or worse than any other airport of it's size and traffic density. See for example, the airport's Wikipedia page under Accidents and incidents;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_International_Airport

I doubt that the venue had anything to do with  the Nine O Nine crash. BTW, I saw that same aircraft at an airshow in the Florida Keys and was almost tempted to take a ride in her, until they announced the price. I still have a video of the aircraft taking off and I was amazed that it even got off of the ground. But I guess I wasn't that used to watching such ancient (and for its time, big) technology. 

Thanks for the comeback Jab. I see you are from the Hudson Valley. Born, and raised in Connecticut  here. I used to go to the airshows at Stewart.   What about the DC-8 cargo plane landing  in Poughkeepsie. The crew thought they were landing  at Stewart. I loved going to Bradley for plane spotting. HPN to. Bradley Air Museum had a Lockheed Connie[TWA] i think,and it was turned into a rubble pile. I remember the tornado pics at the new museum.

Been on this exact bird twice in the past three years.  Very sad...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

This is a horrible tragedy, 7 of the 13 aboard perished.  I've seen Nine-O-Nine many times, she has overflown my house on numerous occasions and I went for a flight on her about 20 years ago.  I'm so sad to see her gone and that she claimed 7 lives.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.