Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deluca

Plane crash Bradley Airport Windsor Locks Connecticut

I paid for the ride on that very bird back in 1997 when it and the Collings Foundation B-29 came to my town. It cost me $300, but it was the best money I'd ever spent. It was supposed to be a short half hour flight too, but for some reason, the pilot stayed aloft for almost an hour. I guess he didn't have another flight that day and gave us all a big treat. Once airborne, the group of us got to crawl all around the aircraft, the nose area, the cockpit and everywhere else. We got a spectacular view of the town and the valley. It was the most fantastic thing I've ever done. I even took a long video, but I've got to find the file or transfer it from the DVD I burned, edit it and upload it to YouTube for everyone to watch.

It really saddens me that those pilots (the same guys who took us up since they'd been doing it for over 20 years) and many of the passengers were killed. Those pilots had the best job in the world. It's also a shame that we've lost another flying B-17.😪

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a29355534/nine-o-nine-b-17/

Edited by tunnelcat

A very tragic loss. I had the opportunity to get an onboard tour of Nine-O-Nine just a few days before it crashed. I captured this video of Nine-O-Nine's arrival at the Auburn-Lewiston Airport (KLEW) in Auburn, Maine on September 25, 2019.

Edited by Jim Young
Embedded the video.

-- tazz

I'm not sure but I may have been all through this aircraft at SunNFun a few years ago. I went from nose to tail with a couple of crew. Wonderful time. Prayers for the families of the souls lost in this  tragic accident. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Information regarding the crash of the Nine O Nine is out. Fox 61 TV in Connecticut has the report.The report is preliminary for the time being, as the investigation continues.

EDIT: Moderator has added a link to the article to this post...

https://fox61.com/2019/10/15/ntsb-releases-preliminary-report-on-b-17-crash/

Edited by n4gix
Added a link to the article

1 hour ago, Paul Deluca said:

Information regarding the crash of the Nine O Nine is out. Fox 61 TV in Connecticut has the report.The report is preliminary for the time being, as the investigation continues.

EDIT: Moderator has added a link to the article to this post...

https://fox61.com/2019/10/15/ntsb-releases-preliminary-report-on-b-17-crash/

Thanks for adding the link.