Sign in to follow this  
Baber20

Some additional info

Maybe this got posted somewhere but I thought I'd share this interview of devs with flightsim.com

https://www.flightsim.com/images/features/msfdev/FlightSim.com-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_Interview_AUDIO.m4a

Biggest takeaways

1) There will be seasons but their top priority is VR due tons of VR requests. The engine supports the seasons by default and the lakes or rivers will be able to freeze in winter. Snow can be generated on the fly and trees will be able to change color.

2) Flight model has a little bit of base legacy code but they completely overhauled it so its basically a 1000 times better now.

3) Competely new in house graphics engine from Asobo studios. Microsoft travelled and tested every single other engine and decided on the Asobos. Supports multiple gpus and uses the latest graphics offerings and techniques as you see in modern games. Each and everything is volumetric.

4) The tech alpha was running on Rtx 2080 at native 4k with average of 41 fps at ultra settings. They are targetting low end gpus.

5) No 2d cockpits.

6) There is AI Traffic but was disabled for Alpha. There will be ground services at airports by default. They plan on enhancing road traffic and wild life. Water traffic is in the works.

7) Regional voice based atc might be possible. They are looking at multiple possibilities. Not ready to share details on that yet.

8.) Sebastian Wloch has a 4mb dsl connection at home and he was able to fly at high details with the data streaming. You can also allocate bandwidth.

9) in the last 5 minutes they explain why you should board the Fs2020 ship. Some very encouraging words.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 7

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

16 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

There will be seasons but their top priority is VR due tons of VR requests

Love it! 

giphy.gif

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

their top priority is VR due tons of VR requests. 

Best news since Allies won WWII.

Edited by dongdongliushui
  • Like 1

I don’t believe they are “targeting” low end GPUs? I also read somewhere else that the minimum frame rate was 41fps, not that it was the average.

I love how he clarified than any existing code/things carried over from FSX were related the Sim, whereas rendering/graphics is all new from Asobo from their experience and engine work on things like the Fuel racing game.

Super efficient and performant it sounds like.

This is fantastic!

They are adding traffic to the water/oceans also.

The wind impacts the clouds, the water - oh my goodness

This is just incredible

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baber20 said:

Biggest takeaways

1) There will be seasons but their top priority is VR due tons of VR requests.

Edit: Maybe I'm interpreting your post incorrectly. I took it to mean that VR is a current development priority, which isn't correct.

That is a mischaracterization of what they actually said. The relevant bit starts at 6:40.

They said there wasn't (and still isn't) a plan for VR, but they're "looking at it" because it was at the top of the feature request list.

And for anyone keeping score, seasons are the second most requested feature. The relevant bit starts at 16:40 for the full answer, or 18:15 for the tl;dr version.

Both of these things will be added eventually. The question is one of priority, and neither are actively being worked on.

Edited by Noodle
  • Like 4

SEASONS 👍 on release please.

• Like 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Re: VR

"VR is one of those things that's popped to the top from the community"

"It isn't a direct plan, but we are definitely looking at it"

(one should listen to it - he had a very emphatic tone about "looking at it" - you can tell they know it's really important to a passionate group)

Hard to say on timeline/priority part, but really phenomenal to hear they are *definitely* hearing the VR desires, from many angles and sources it sounds like.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 3

Yea multiple sources have said that they are looking into it. I think when he stated that the program is going to evolve over multiple releases, basically is stating that it may not be available upon release, but it may be in subsequent releases. Either way, I can't use VR because I get motion sick. 😛

• Like 1

Re: Seasons

The engine supports seasons - it's not a technical limitation - adding snow, tree colors, frozen water - all feasible.

Direct quote:

"Right after VR, requests for seasons came in second"

Edited by irrics

1 hour ago, irrics said:

Love it! 

giphy.gif

Winner winner chicken dinner! And that was before we started the VR thread. We just need to convince others. I wish I could demonstrate to them, but they might swipe my stuff. 😁

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

9 minutes ago, Kevin_28 said:

Either way, I can't use VR because I get motion sick. 😛

In flightsims as well? Having a cockpit around you is support to mitigate the usual reasons for sickness.

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

1 minute ago, daveinca2000 said:

In flightsims as well? Having a cockpit around you is support to mitigate the usual reasons for sickness.

Yea staring at a single monitor is fine because my peripheral vision still sees stationary things. However, when I have multiple monitors surrounding me or VR, I don't have that "anchor point" and it basically isn't aligning with my inner ear.

• Like 1