Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Dealing w/Yoke & Rudder forces, rolling chair on hardwood floor!

So we just moved from carpet to hardware in the room where I fly my sim.  Immediately I have an issue.  I currently have no way to anchor my chair, so I am rolling backward on an unintended basis.  I have found quite a number of casters for gaming, but they all adapt chairs for carpet with no chair mat underneath.  Oddly, they provide for easier movement on carpet vs standard casters.   I have the opposite problem.  I doubt I am the first to encounter this issue of a hard surface floor.  Can anyone recommend brand/model of quality caster wheels that have locks/brakes/ or adjustable friction?  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

9 hours ago, fppilot said:

So we just moved from carpet to hardware in the room where I fly my sim.  Immediately I have an issue.  I currently have no way to anchor my chair, so I am rolling backward on an unintended basis.  I have found quite a number of casters for gaming, but they all adapt chairs for carpet with no chair mat underneath.  Oddly, they provide for easier movement on carpet vs standard casters.   I have the opposite problem.  I doubt I am the first to encounter this issue of a hard surface floor.  Can anyone recommend brand/model of quality caster wheels that have locks/brakes/ or adjustable friction?  

I use doorstops under the casters. Works fine.

12 hours ago, fppilot said:

I had the same problem with my new tile floor.  I've got Brunner pedals, which take a lot of force to move. I got a chair mat and attached a board to it with heavy duty Velcro.  The board is on the mat behind the back wheels of the chair.  The board keeps the chair from going backwards when I push on the rudder pedals.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Hi Frank,

Retrofit your chair with these reverse locking castors. Make sure the spindle (stem) dimension fits your chair base castor mountings. They lock when you sit down (Weighted) and roll when you get up(Un-weighted). Australian Ebay supplier AU$25 for a set of 5 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Office-Chair-Casters-Reverse-Brake-Locking-Caster-Chair-Wheels-Set-of-5-/291126824147

Seems to be a relatively simple replacement part, these should solve your problem.

Well, about when I was close to a resolution.....  I threw in the towel!  LOL!  Found that spreading a towel out on the floor and rolling the chair onto the towel was the perfect solution.  Thank you for the recommendations.  All were apprecated!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Bungy cord you chair to the desk, or even simpler yet, get a small shag rug for under your chair. Problem solved. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I use a plastic desk mat with three holes in it to accommodate the front three wheels. Works great. Have pictures if you want just PM me. You can also use a strap.

• Like 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /