Sign in to follow this  
JustanotherPilot

Boeing 797 Launch...Maybe?

I hope Boeing don't miss the boat with the release of the 797, the MAX debacle has really put them behind and it would appear Airbus A320/A321 NEO and LR/XLR are taking a lot of orders to fill the void. Anyway, the 797 looks promising.

link to AirlineRatings 797 story

steve southey

Last I read was that Boeing postponed the decision whether to launch the 797 program to next year when it was expected there would be a decision this year. This upset some airlines interested in the 797.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Given that the "Boeing 797" name was to be the Boeing Sonic Cruiser...I'm wondering if they will call the new airplane that -- if they decide to go forward.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

If I was them I would rename the 787 and have the 797 called something else, they should differentiate the future of that company away from a 1960s based nomenclature.

The 787 should never have been a 7-series aircraft in the first place, time to move forward

Matthew Kane

44 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

The 787 should never have been a 7-series aircraft in the first place, time to move forward

Why is that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Why is that?

Because it was called the Yellowstone Project, which was supposed to replace the entire 7-Series family with a next generation of modern aircraft to bring Boeing into a modern aviation company.

Yellowstone Project was supposed to have 3 new airliners, the first one being what became the 787, it was never supposed to be part of the 7-Series in the first place, but they abandoned the other two aircraft in Yellowstone Project and called it a 787, and to save money revamped the 737 and 777. in retrospect they should have seen Yellowstone Project through and replaced the 7-Series entirely, the failure of the other two aircraft is what is keeping Boeing stuck in the past, and the 7-Series is a bad reminder of that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Yellowstone_Project

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 1

Matthew Kane

World air regulators no longer have trust in the FAA after 737max, and may remain grounded until they pass it fit to fly.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Oh, they said NMA(or 797 here) will be launch in "next year"... from about 2015 or even earlier?

BTW when 787 was called 7E7, I quite love that name.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:49 AM, rjfry said:

World air regulators no longer have trust in the FAA after 737max, and may remain grounded until they pass it fit to fly.

Didnt easa still let the max fly until the Faa grounded it??  I can't remember 

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

Didnt easa still let the max fly until the Faa grounded it??  I can't remember 

The FAA grounded it after airlines started to but now the damage is that the FAA and Boeing were working hand in glove and Boeing was self regulating the aircraft, now national regulators think they worked to close and may not pass the max until they test it themselves. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Is the MAX debacle over or are they still grounded?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, Anders Bermann said:

Is the MAX debacle over or are they still grounded?

Still grounded. Boeing are expected to hand in a certification package this month for the FAA to review. Boeing I think are still hoping for it to get re-certified in November but around January seems more likely. When it's cleared to go fly again it will probably take some two to three months for airlines to fully get them back into service. This is just for the US though, no one knows if other regulators will test and certify the aircraft themselves this time and how long that would take.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

And the 737NG debacle is just starting to unfold...

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

Still grounded. Boeing are expected to hand in a certification package this month for the FAA to review. Boeing I think are still hoping for it to get re-certified in November but around January seems more likely. When it's cleared to go fly again it will probably take some two to three months for airlines to fully get them back into service. This is just for the US though, no one knows if other regulators will test and certify the aircraft themselves this time and how long that would take.

Thanks a lot for the round up.

Appreciated! 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471