Sign in to follow this  
abranpuko

cloud immersion!

Hello! 

After watching all those great videos of the next new flight simulator, i would like to know about "cloud immersion".

All the videos are showing the plane flying below the clouds, but not into them. Is there a video where we could see a plane going into a cloud overcast or cumulus, etc? the cloud immersion has very big changes of lights and textures.  and its amazing how we can feel flying into clouds of many types. 

thanks and congratulations! because i have never seen that quality before! great team (without forgetting prepar3d or x-plane)

Abraham.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Not a video yet but in one of the video's the reporter talks about smoothly flying into and out of clouds and also into and out of rainy area's. There also is talk about how the light plays on the clouds and that clouds cast shadows on clouds and how the density of the clouds (how much light they let pass) varies with humidity. Lots of good stuff is coming our way! This is 'one giant leap for mankind' compared to the flat sprites we currently have!

• Like 2

Keen to know if the sensation of speed is captured when passing cloud in close proximity  You don't get any perception of speed when passing clouds close by in P3D. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I must agree, on real world flight decks there is always a short period of silence as everybody watches in sheer amazement as the aircraft punches into a seemingly solid wall of cloud. The same is true punching out of the top into bright sunshine,or skimming along the top of a cloud layer at high speed. Sadly these things aren’t really captured with the current generation of simulators, I’m hopeful this new simulator will capture this amazing experience 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

What I look forward to is the grave danger inherent to fly through or close to some kind of clouds.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

Keen to know if the sensation of speed is captured when passing cloud in close proximity  You don't get any perception of speed when passing clouds close by in P3D. 

I guess that is because clouds in p3d arent truly volumetric. If you watch the first 15 secs of e3 trailer, you can see yourself coming out of clouds. Maybe that will give you a bit of idea ?

• Like 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

Hello Everyone,

Great to have Flight Simulator back!!

Yes, I would love to see complete overcast sky depictions, maybe some where small rays peek through. But complete overcast sky, different cloud type overcast( I.e cirrus, “milky sky”, stratus cloud types).  “Textured” overcast, those deeply cloudy days, not necessarily with rain.

I live in southern usa and aside summertime towering thunderstorms, in the cooler months, we see more mid to high level overcast conditions, not just the low cloud, low visibility conditions, 10-20 mile visibility but still no sun peeking through, or cirrus overcast completely blotting out the sun. 

The clear and partly cloudy conditions we’ve seen are beautiful...but please show us more cloudy, no shadowing conditions. 
That’s something I never saw FSX or prior title did or could do.

Thanks Abraham for raising the question about cloud immersions.

I am sorry if this has been brought up already.  Been out of the scene a while and really just saw the new sim announcements.  Blown away so far!!

Thanks Everyone,

KJAN RB

• Like 1

Well, thank you very much for answering and also write on the subject. I felt a little lonely and now I see that there are many people who also enjoy the "land of heaven."

Certainly, the number of nuances that exist flying among the clouds is unbeatable. I think the flight simulator team will do very well. I have heard them speak and they are very sensitive. We are big children, and I think that is what matters most. The sensation of speed within the clouds, or the flickering of the sun that appears and disappears. the sensation of leaving a sea of clouds, or the pouring of entering it.

anyway...In the videos I can see wonderful clouds in the distance, but the nearby ones are diffuse and with blurred edges. I guess maybe it's still early to talk about it.I hope we get a cloudy video soon!

thanks also!

Abraham.

Great thread!

It's going to totally awesome breaking on top in this Sim I think.

4 hours ago, abranpuko said:

Well, thank you very much for answering and also write on the subject. I felt a little lonely and now I see that there are many people who also enjoy the "land of heaven."

Certainly, the number of nuances that exist flying among the clouds is unbeatable. I think the flight simulator team will do very well. I have heard them speak and they are very sensitive. We are big children, and I think that is what matters most. The sensation of speed within the clouds, or the flickering of the sun that appears and disappears. the sensation of leaving a sea of clouds, or the pouring of entering it.

anyway...In the videos I can see wonderful clouds in the distance, but the nearby ones are diffuse and with blurred edges. I guess maybe it's still early to talk about it.I hope we get a cloudy video soon!

thanks also!

Abraham.

There is footage of flying through the clouds with rain.  I think it's the TBM downwind to Toronto City Center then on final.  The dev team also states the environment and visibility does change as you're flying through in and out.  Basically everything you're wanting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

21 minutes ago, abranpuko said:

I havent seen it. do you have the link? i cant find it:)

thanks!

17:23 mark there abouts.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

10 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

17:23 mark there abouts.

Thanks. Those images are awesome, but they dont show how the plane is entering into a simple cloud or overcast. the effect of rain is Wonderfull!

In prepar3d, when we enter into a cloud, we can be, for example,  20 seconds into a White screen, and after, we go out. But in real life, when we enter into a cloud, we can be every second in a different cloud light, texture, full of many Little holes etc, etc...

i hope they can show this soon!

thanks anyway for showing me the video!

13 hours ago, abranpuko said:

Thanks. Those images are awesome, but they dont show how the plane is entering into a simple cloud or overcast. the effect of rain is Wonderfull!

In prepar3d, when we enter into a cloud, we can be, for example,  20 seconds into a White screen, and after, we go out. But in real life, when we enter into a cloud, we can be every second in a different cloud light, texture, full of many Little holes etc, etc...

i hope they can show this soon!

thanks anyway for showing me the video!

They've said there is no more popping, white screen, etc.  These will be true 3d volumetric affecting visibility, etc., depending on what's going on.

You guys need to spend some time and listen to all the interviews.  It takes some time, but they address these concerns and issues.  The weather system in the new sim will be second to none.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)