Sign in to follow this  
nas123

MSFS2020 reviewers used PCs with i7-8700K 3.7Ghz - 64Gb - 2080TI

That's not the best news for me. I don't know why people say "fortunately RAM is a cheap upgrade". I have 4x8GB G.Skills 3600Mhz CL16 sticks, that cost around 380 USD. To get 64Gb G.Skills at 3600Mhz, I'd have to buy new sticks which cost around 450 USD. If I want to get more than 64Gb the cost is much higher. 

So, I don't know what you consider cheap here, to me it costs like a new CPU.

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Man, I go away for a few days and everything happens.

As it's been said, demo machines for an unoptimized pre-alpha tech demo running at 4K and (presumably) moving smoothly are probably not a good representation of what you will need at release.

• Like 1

If you remember from the FSX days, the "recommended" specs on the side of the box were always woefully inadequate.  Since they are talking about "petabytes" of scenery, the 64 gb  of ram would make sense and might be the starting place..  But for an event like that, you would also want to be absolutely sure that no pc crashed and there was no visible effect of caching  in and out gigabytes of scenery.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

I just can't wait to know the recommended specs so that I can start (1) looking around the web for a new desktop and (2) thinking of what I could sell to finance that purchase. Perhaps the new stove in our kitchen?

7 hours ago, rjfry said:

Recommended spec 5ghz CPU RTX 2080ti GPU 128gb ram 100TB SSD for offline mode 🤣

Heading to the store now.  Just gimme that.  Moar power Scotty...

Edited by daveinca2000

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

Just now, Turpentine said:

I just can't wait to know the recommended specs so that I can start (1) looking around the web for a new desktop and (2) thinking of what I could sell to finance that purchase. Perhaps the new stove in our kitchen?

Who needs a stove when you have an i9 and a 2080i working full steam ? That will radiate enough heat to cook meals anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I recall correctly they said the sim would be optimized for lower end systems as a target. I don't know how that's feasible but a lower end system certainly doesn't come with 64 GB of RAM. I also think the key hardware component would be the GPU, following today's ways of game design.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Is the 64gb ram thing verified? Even if it was, I don’t think it’s unusual for test mules to have a lot of memory anyway. I remember reading about console devkits before and they generally have a lot more memory than the final products do. 

having said that, ram does seem to have become a bit more important again with modern games (and the cpu). 

4 hours ago, Claviateur said:

Well, then I suppose the Specs I sent to MS when I registered for the Alpha testing will exclude me from the pool of selected testers 🙂

No matter what your hardware, I wouldn't worry about it.  They'll need both high end and low end machines testing the software.

For example, I am severely bandwidth challenged and I expect to get an invite at some point.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;