Sign in to follow this  
portanav

Upgrading Computer System

I am getting some very poor FPS (10-20) at certain airports (FSDT and LatinVFR) and have tried many tweaks to resolve this problem without success. It was suggested to me by someone on a forum that my problem is due to my CPU speed (4.0) not being fast enough, recommending 4.5 and up would probably resolve this. I only very recently purchased my GTX 1080 video card upgrading from a GTX 1060/6 thinking that it would have improved my FPS problem; clearly it did not. I am now considering upgrading my Sim's computer (i7/6700, Asus Z170-K, 16Gb, GTX 1080) to an i7/8700, Asus Z370Plus Gaming Mobo, Corsair 32Gb 3000MHz.

Would this help resolve my FPS problem? I am also looking at adding an internal SSD (Kingston 500GB A2000 M.2 2280 Nvme Internal SSD PCIe Up to 2000Mb/s), thinking the very fast transfer speeds would only help. Can anyone who has knowledge in this area help me with suggestions?

My present system config can be seem via the link in my signature below.

Thanks,

Edited by portanav

Overclocking can definitely help raise FPS in flight sims, but going from 4.0 -> 4.5GHz is only a 12.5% increase in clockspeed so it can only improve your framerate by (at most) 12.5%.  If your minimum FPS in your worst-case-scenario is 10, a 12.5% increase only gets you to 11.25 FPS, not enough to solve the issue.  You might want to look into lowering your settings.  There are plenty of tweak guides out there, have a look.

• Like 1

After you swapped out the video cards, did you delete (rename) the fsx.cfg file and let FSX create a new file?  I failed to do that and had problems until I let FSX build a new cfg file.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

57 minutes ago, stans said:

After you swapped out the video cards, did you delete (rename) the fsx.cfg file and let FSX create a new file?  I failed to do that and had problems until I let FSX build a new cfg file.

Yes I did Stan, that was the first thing I did after adding the 1080. I also deleted the sceneryindex64 and the shaders folders as suggested by Elaine from LM, without any resolve. However, I am now happy😃 to report that what did fix it was resetting my nvidia inspector Global settings to default.

Now my FPS is between 20 and 30 depending on airport scenery.

Thanks,