Sign in to follow this  
FizziPop

I’m curious about how the marketplace will work.

Let’s say developer X makes a 777 for the game and put it on the store, will another developer be able to make another 777 and place that on the store too? Remember this game is coming to Xbox, and with Xbox it’s gonna be aimed at casual gamers. Nobody wants to scare them away with a choice of 10 777s and 50 737s and 15 a330s to choose from. 

I my opinion, if someone makes a specific aircraft for the game, no body else should be able to make another one to put on the store (however they can sell it on their own website). However if a user wants to make some POSITIVE changes to the aircraft that is already on the store, then they should obtain MS permission to do so. In this way, instead of having 40 of each airport/aircraft on the store, there is only 1 of each on the store, and the entire community can make positive contributions and updates to the addons. In this way, the overall quality of the addons become better, and there is only 1 perfect addon to choose from instead of 15 meh addons to choose from.

MS should also have quality checks in place for each addon that is put on the store to ensure a minimum level of acceptable quality. 

One more thing. Instead of having to purchase each desired airport individually, can MS please make it so we can purchase airports by country/continent at a low-ish price? I’m sure the community is fed up of dropping £50 on airports.  

Peace ✌️ 

Edited by FizziPop

13 minutes ago, FizziPop said:

I my opinion, if someone makes a specific aircraft for the game, no body else should be able to make another one to put on the store (however they can sell it on their own website). However if a user wants to make some POSITIVE changes to the aircraft that is already on the store, then they should obtain MS permission to do so. In this way, instead of having 40 of each airport/aircraft on the store, there is only 1 of each on the store, and the entire community can make positive contributions and updates to the addons. In this way, the overall quality of the addons become better, and there is only 1 perfect addon to choose from instead of 15 meh addons to choose from.

Hmm. So if some enterprising/ratbag developer uploads a quick and dirty version of the most popular planes into the store first they're a shoo in for a monopoly? What would happen to all the uploader's IP and how would the income be split between the various parties?  What counts as a positive change? I'm afraid this sounds like a badly thought through fantasy.

I agree there's a lot to be said for some acceptance criteria although this may not be quite as simple as it sounds.

• Upvote 4

Give people power to really test their personality.

9 minutes ago, SamYeager said:

Hmm. So if some enterprising/ratbag developer uploads a quick and dirty version of the most popular planes into the store first they're a shoo in for a monopoly? What would happen to all the uploader's IP and how would the income be split between the various parties?  What counts as a positive change? I'm afraid this sounds like a badly thought through fantasy.

I agree there's a lot to be said for some acceptance criteria although this may not be quite as simple as it sounds.

Well either the community could add fixes and updates for free or for a small percentage 

'No' from me.

Why shouldn't people get the choice on which product that they want? 
FSLabs vs Aerosoft A32x, PMDG vs iFly Jets 737, QW vs CaptainSim 757 to name but a few.

Sometimes the >$140 add-on just isn't the affordable option or the PC resources required to run it aren't available to some simmers.

Also, as@SamYeagerpointed out, say a developer like Carenado or BlackBox got their efforts in first, other developers are locked-out. Is that fair to simmers who want higher fidelity and more systems modelled?

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

The three main things we need in the DLC/addons market are : competition, competition and competition. That includes, of course, a total liberty to set their prices.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

About limiting the number of the same model different developers can put for sale, it would be a really bad practice. Competition is the way to go. Actualy I think bad reviews + lack of fixes should put that add-on out of the marketplace.

As I said since the announcement of the new sim, I would like to see Microsoft curating the products sold on their stores (Steam and MS Store) and incentivizing competition on the  marketplace. I want to buy exclusively throught them (not interested anymore to deal with the 3rd party stores). If I don't like an add-on, I would like get a refund (it's possible on Steam if you use the product for less than 2 hours). I really like the way Steam system works.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FizziPop said:

MS should also have quality checks in place for each addon that is put on the store to ensure a minimum level of acceptable quality. 

All products will be thoroughly vetted by MS/ASOBO before being placed in the store to ensure that they meet the SDK's standards and not do any harm to anything else.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

18 minutes ago, n4gix said:

All products will be thoroughly vetted by MS/ASOBO before being placed in the store to ensure that they meet the SDK's standards and not do any harm to anything else.

I really hope they do. And also let the customers get refunds for bad products (like steam does, you have 2 hours to test and ask for a refund). Unfortunately the Sim Devs don't like a lot the concept of refuding bad products.

30 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Not saying you're wrong but can you point me to where this was said?

Give people power to really test their personality.

2 hours ago, SamYeager said:

Not saying you're wrong but can you point me to where this was said?

No where in anything that's been officially released regarding MSFS, but that is standard practice on any addon product currently in the MS Xbox store.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm pretty sure the back end eco-system hasn't been talked about yet, but yeah, I'm sure if there's a store, it will be pretty well locked down to ensure products work correctly, etc.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

18 hours ago, FizziPop said:

Let’s say developer X makes a 777 for the game and put it on the store, will another developer be able to make another 777 and place that on the store too? Remember this game is coming to Xbox, and with Xbox it’s gonna be aimed at casual gamers. Nobody wants to scare them away with a choice of 10 777s and 50 737s and 15 a330s to choose from. 

Casual gamers (also present here by the way) are no different than any other functioning individual. It's not like such a trivial thing of documenting themselves on which one of the 777s fits best their needs is going to scare them away.
Did it scare you away when you first joined a flight simulator? Because it's the same for them and us. In fact there is no them and us, it's just people approaching the same game.

To answer your question, absolutely not. It doesn't make sense to have a single project for a single aircraft.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

There is an appetite of some for a non competitive market and cheap stuff which would be the death of this hobby. If there is an universal economic rule, it is that enforced low prices and non competition bring penury. The housing market is a good example of it.

Yes, we need several 737 or Bonanza or Huey, yes we need that the prices reflect how the developer values his work and not  the allowance of the user. And if he is a bit optimistic about it, lets not buy it.

Also, speaking of 50 £ for an airport as it was the rule is not true. Most of them are cheaper and can be had at a very moderate price during the sales.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Without third party`s FSX would be dead long ago Microsoft no that and nothing to come back for.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 8:12 PM, ca_metal said:

I really hope they do. And also let the customers get refunds for bad products (like steam does, you have 2 hours to test and ask for a refund). Unfortunately the Sim Devs don't like a lot the concept of refuding bad products.

It was also stated that payware developers can sell their products at ANY outlet/marketplace they wish! 

So MS would have no oversight on quality at all. Freedom of choice please!

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...