Sign in to follow this  
rheinis

New FS2020 "Home Flight" : KRNT (Renton) ?

Well, we've lost Meigs, isn't there anymore in the real world. But was a nostalgic airport for many in the FS Community just because it was the home flight of the sim.

So...I thought maybe it would be a nice idea to suggest KRNT (Renton) as the new FS home flight. After all, this already is an historic place in the FS History. As it's the place where Microsoft and the FS Community - quite literally - shook hands and decided to head into the future together in good harmony, with mutual respect.

Also, KRNT is by itself a nice airport to start from. When aligned with the runway it feels like a not-to-big local airport. However, when taking off you're suddenly above an enormous city (which also breathes Boeing & Microsoft) with the opportunities to land at KSEA (very big international aiport), KPAE (Boeing factory) or head off to the mountains for some challenging VFR flying.

Ah well, it's just a thought...  😎

(and I know of course that practically no one will be taking off with the default flight...but it may be practical for test flights, because of the aforementioned qualities of the location)

Edited by rheinis
  • Like 8

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I like it !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I used to fly my Cessna150 out of there. It's a beautiful location to fly to Mt. Rainier in less than one hour and the $100 burger was in Bremerton. 

Dave W.

• Upvote 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

It's a beautiful area (one reason we moved to the vicinity), it's the MS home, and we know they have a nice scenery model for Seattle. It would also be an interesting comparison to the demo area for XP11 where you start at KSEA. 

I wonder though, if it wouldn't be somewhere in France instead, to honor the ASOBO developers. Plenty of good scenic choices there.

• Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Sounds good to me too. Before all the reviews I was thinking Billy bishop in toronto to maintain the theme, but Renton works

Just now, Paraffin said:

I wonder though, if it wouldn't be somewhere in France instead, to honor the ASOBO developers. Plenty of good scenic choices there.

Asobo's home airport is LFBD in Bordeaux which has nice approaches (and its wine country !). Good idea too ! 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, rheinis said:

So...I thought maybe it would be a nice idea to suggest KRNT (Renton) as the new FS home flight. 😎

+1
Having grown up and live very close KRNT has been and is my starting point every time I fire up whatever sim I'm using.

3 hours ago, rheinis said:

(and I know of course that practically no one will be taking off with the default flight...but it may be practical for test flights, because of the aforementioned qualities of the location)

Every person new to the sim will be using the "default" starting airport, just like we did with Meigs.  

You're idea is a good one.  I like it.  It might even be better than Meigs. 🙂

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Seattle is the most well polished area right now and probably will remain so, so it's almost certain Renton will be the default airport.

I really like the idea, it is stunningly beautiful, and infact is the default start location for my personal X-Plane setup. However I would be a bit concerned as Seattle has historically, with many different sims, been an area that is hard on frame rates. Would it be fair to those with borderline machines to be starting off at a place that is taxing to many systems?

Edited by GACSavannah

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

To me ,and others who only had cassette drives and not disk drives for their Commodore 64s ,the home of flight simulator will always be KCMI Champaign/Urbana !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

4 hours ago, bonchie said:

Seattle is the most well polished area right now and probably will remain so, so it's almost certain Renton will be the default airport.

The only thing missing are the slews of homeless, and dilapidated RVS on the streets. LOL!

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

9 hours ago, jon b said:

To me ,and others who only had cassette drives and not disk drives for their Commodore 64s ,the home of flight simulator will always be KCMI Champaign/Urbana !

Yes.

Maybe even Frasca would work for the new MSFS!

Edited by pracines