Sign in to follow this  
rheinis

New FS2020 "Home Flight" : KRNT (Renton) ?

I wonder if the release version will start on the ground "cold n dark" to highlight the new checklists.😁

That "in the air" start at KFHR in FSX, though a nice destination, was more a pain to set up a cold n dark start up flight on the ground. 🤓😇

9 hours ago, GACSavannah said:

I really like the idea, it is stunningly beautiful, and infact is the default start location for my personal X-Plane setup. However I would be a bit concerned as Seattle has historically, with many different sims, been an area that is hard on frame rates. Would it be fair to those with borderline machines to be starting off at a place that is taxing to many systems?

But wouldn't that make it the perfect place then to start off? If it's easy on your system you know that pretty much anyplace will be easy on your system. Likewise if you system has problems with it no need to panic yet as you know most other place aren't that hard on performance. Getting poor performance in Denver on the other hand would be quite concerning

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jon b said:

To me ,and others who only had cassette drives and not disk drives for their Commodore 64s ,the home of flight simulator will always be KCMI Champaign/Urbana !

and besides, thats where HAL was born.(excuse me -- became operational)

but Renton is my go to Seattle airport so I think it'd make a wonderful default.

P.S.: how many of you made regular flights from Meigs to Champaign/Urbana just because of the proximity to HAL?  or am I the only one?

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

20 hours ago, Paraffin said:

It's a beautiful area (one reason we moved to the vicinity), it's the MS home, and we know they have a nice scenery model for Seattle. It would also be an interesting comparison to the demo area for XP11 where you start at KSEA. 

I wonder though, if it wouldn't be somewhere in France instead, to honor the ASOBO developers. Plenty of good scenic choices there.

Pau / Pyrenees is always a scenic place to start.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 10/5/2019 at 8:41 AM, pracines said:

I wonder if the release version will start on the ground "cold n dark" to highlight the new checklists.😁

That "in the air" start at KFHR in FSX, though a nice destination, was more a pain to set up a cold n dark start up flight on the ground. 🤓😇

Good points. I also think someone new to the sim will preferably start from the ground and start the airplane itself (if needed with help from the checklist) I think that really feels like a true first accomplishment. It could serve as an inspiration to further studying of the sim, more than when just starting up in the air and move the yoke back and forth until you get bored of that. You actually learn something on your very first flight!  😎

Edited by rheinis

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

On 10/5/2019 at 2:41 AM, pracines said:

Depends. If you start at the gate. It will be cold and dark, if you start at the active, the plane will be running, but you will see a small animation of your plane taxiing to the runway with a clearance from ATC before your plane is placed at the runway. 

I could go for this as well if they fill up the ramps with Boeings. Right now it looks kind of bare.

• Upvote 1

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

12 hours ago, Casualcas said:

Depends. If you start at the gate. It will be cold and dark, if you start at the active, the plane will be running, but you will see a small animation of your plane taxiing to the runway with a clearance from ATC before your plane is placed at the runway. 

Ugh, please no. 🙂

I don't care what other options are offered, and one should definitely be cold and dark at the ramp. But please let us start with no BS on an active runway with engines running and systems active as one of the options. No extra animations for getting there, no ATC clearance requirement.

I do almost all my civilian sim flying in the FSEconomy game, which may support MSFS once the aircraft fleet is filled out enough.  Time is money in that game, and so is fuel. I fly as realistically as possible with injected weather, flight plans and all the rest. But some of us do want that quick 'n easy start on the runway to get into the air ASAP.

One other thing  -- many of the small strips I fly in and out of in FSE have no ramp, no tower, no ATC. Just a bush strip in the jungle. There isn't a one-size-fits-all solution for starting a flight. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I concur, whatever the starting airfield may be, make it Cold and Dark please or at least give the option in the starting menu.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, sightseer said:

P.S.: how many of you made regular flights from Meigs to Champaign/Urbana just because of the proximity to HAL?  or am I the only one?

My first flightsim was FS 5.1, before the days when a map was included.  The book that came with the program had a few maps, one of which included the Chicago area, going down as far as Champaign, so I made many trips doing that before I spent a bunch of time learning where I could go from there.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]