Sign in to follow this  
jsmcwilliam

Inaccurated approach info

I have been runnning VoxATC 7.42 for some time now under P3DV4 and Windows 10. I generate an IFR .pln file in PFPX and load it into the sim using the Flight Planner. Everything works fine up to and including cruise altitude when I am handed over to Centre. As I get near TOD I have to request descent, otherwise, I end up too high on the approach. After that I am given a new altitude and a STAR (no active runway) so I have to chance on the ATIS stipulated runway in use. At this point things start to get out of hand.

1. Achieving my new altitude clearance on the STAR (usually around FL130) no new clearance is given so I request descent again and can be told to climb back to my cruise altitude. There doesn't seem to be a way around this conflict. I have tried disable/enable VoxATC but this usually causes more problems.

2. Sometimes I am allowed to continue down on my STAR and then am given a heading for vectors to a runway that has nothing to do with the STAR I am on.

3. Once I was vectored to the correct runway (22L) but was then told "... closing the localisor from the left cleared for approach runway 22R"

I have tried many times to get my approaches to work satisfactorily but am on the verge of giving up. It's a pity because I believe the program to have the best potential of all the ATC options available today. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

John McWilliam

John,

As far as the late descent issue, please take a look through this link for a possible solution: 

In regards to your other issues, I've noticed similar issues with the way Vox deals with inbound handling. The only thing I can think of is to try using the included "Flight Plan Extras" tool, found in wherever VoxATC installed its base files (by default C:\Program Files\Internal Workings, called FlightPlanExtras.exe). It's an additional step at the beginning, but may solve your issues with STAR routing. I personally don't bother with it too much and fly whatever they assign, even if it conflicts with a STAR but I totally understand the desire to follow procedure. Let us know if that works! 

Thanks for the feedback. I made an adjustment to my VASettings.xml (DescentRation Value "3.5" /> and was able to experience a far better approach. My only problem was with the STAR instruction which did not match the runway I was subsequently cleared to. Otherwise, this was a vast improvement on my earlier attempts.