Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

SFD Global out: any reviews?

I noticed Mister X (Short Final Design) has released his SFD Global package.

Wondering if anyone purchased yet and has a review?  I'm also wondering if I should pass because of my 4GB GTX 980 card.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It has US West Coast custom Autogen. Blind buy just for that. Only downer is that with orthos, you won't be able to fully appreciate his work.

Screenshots:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM2dKZaKyiCBWRC4XiBtgT-nDW4pUan_V9QsTdYAuzw9Dae59XnLt7H3Pdkv9I08A?key=aF9oN0x2SDVSNkhDU1FoaFFkQUpSbXQtQlRubUZn

Edited by Colonel X

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Im downloading right now, can give you my opinion later on.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

3 hours ago, Colonel X said:

It has US West Coast custom Autogen. Blind buy just for that. Only downer is that with orthos, you won't be able to fully appreciate his work.

Screenshots:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM2dKZaKyiCBWRC4XiBtgT-nDW4pUan_V9QsTdYAuzw9Dae59XnLt7H3Pdkv9I08A?key=aF9oN0x2SDVSNkhDU1FoaFFkQUpSbXQtQlRubUZn

I basically have zl16 Ortho for the us west coast

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I tried it a little hour and I must say It is not a waste of money. FPS stays friendly (with a GTX 1070 and 16 Go Ram). The ground textures are, in my opinion, a real improvement. I tried also in some areas where i have Ortho  ZL 17 and all works fine there also (autogen, etc).
For this first try, I was over Europe (next will be Grand Canyon). So, here a pic over Paris :

https://gyazo.com/7cacf22f8ddf0ce13f0e9453fff6e136

• Like 3

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

34 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I basically have zl16 Ortho for the us west coast

Yeah but according to the description, the improved Autogen will still be added.

-

6 minutes ago, Julia said:

I tried it a little hour and I must say It is not a waste of money. FPS stays friendly (with a GTX 1070 and 16 Go Ram). The ground textures are, in my opinion, a real improvement. I tried also in some areas where i have Ortho  ZL 17 and all works fine there also (autogen, etc).
For this first try, I was over Europe (next will be Grand Canyon). So, here a pic over Paris :

https://gyazo.com/7cacf22f8ddf0ce13f0e9453fff6e136

The screens in the store are not exactly mindblowing, but it would be silly to think Mister X would do anything that's not an improvement. 

-

For me misterx nailed again, autogen is awesome, forest looking very good, ground textures depends on the region, some i risk to say that are better that orthos, others not that much, but overall is a very good product that wroth the price asked.No FPS hit for me.

In Europe together wit X-Europe buildings never looked so good.

• Like 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I bought it without much thought, because the default textures and autogen was always looking too bad in my opinion. SFD Global is not promising to give you a TrueEarth experience, but what it promises it delivers 100%. I started a flight from Los Angeles to Washington and I can clearly see believable textures and transitions across USA. The colors and textures are very nice, and a definite improvement over the default X-Plane. For me that I don't have the time and space to do Ortho4XP tiles for whole continents, this is an excellent solution, similar to what we have in P3D with ORBX Global+HD Trees+HD Autogen. The Autogen models and textures are just amazing. The detail that MisterX has put in these is outstanding and its a totally new level, never seen before in flight simulators. The good news is that the SFD autogen work even over photoscenery, and the fact that the autogen is matching the region means that the models you see are closer to reality with the colors of the buildings displayed on the orthophotos. In areas like Greece for example that I also tested, the difference is very evident, as before the default autogen was completely unrealistic. You could get north European buildings in the Mediterranean. Now buildings are much closer to reality, which makes flying there more believable.

I certainly recommend it, this is a big upgrade to X-Plane. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Good to hear, wasn't expecting anything but excellence from the man. This is a huge upgrade for X-Plane, especially for non-ortho simulators which now have become a lot more attractive. And at that price point, it's no brainer.

Does it include metro area ground textures, too? Are US cities improved by way of texturing?

-

4 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

For me misterx nailed again, autogen is awesome, forest looking very good, ground textures depends on the region, some i risk to say that are better that orthos, others not that much, but overall is a very good product that wroth the price asked.No FPS hit for me.

In Europe together wit X-Europe buildings never looked so good.

For me, SFDG together with X-Europe2 makes the scenery look almost the same. Not many new buildings appear.
I enclose photos from around Pisa (LIRM):

1) PISA (only X-Europe without SFDG):

908013564_1LIRP000SHORsm.jpg.ffa2391287f

2) PISA (SFDG + X-Europe) :

127967386_2LIRPSFDSHORsm.jpg.382aaeb4aa0

6 hours ago, Bulva said:

For me, SFDG together with X-Europe2 makes the scenery look almost the same. Not many new buildings appear.
I enclose photos from around Pisa (LIRM):

1) PISA (only X-Europe without SFDG):

908013564_1LIRP000SHORsm.jpg.ffa2391287f

2) PISA (SFDG + X-Europe) :

127967386_2LIRPSFDSHORsm.jpg.382aaeb4aa0

You should add one with just SFDG if you can 🙂 Being from Pisa, i am curious about that too.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

14 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Does it include metro area ground textures, too? Are US cities improved by way of texturing?

The city ground textures are certainly improved, saw that clearly in Los Angeles for example. Of course don't expect photo real accuracy, but its convincing for the most part, its a definite clear improvement over the default.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

The ground textures in non-Ortho areas look great, as others have said.  His autogen is really well done.  (Keep in mind that both of these do repeat, as they just replace the default items.)  The trees have much greater variety of shape and texture.  I commented in another forum that they seemed a little too light / bright.  MisterX6 agreed, and said he will tweak them for the next release!  Amazing stuff.