Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

SFD Global out: any reviews?

15 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Yeah, but these are just specific VFR objects (such as towers, wind turbines ect.) - no Landmarks as in "famous buildings" which are included in X-Europe. Unless there has been an update? Got rid of that scenery due to stutter issues (good luck rendering 2000 wind turbines in SoCal).

Now you ask sth completely different. The first question was if Simheaven could deliver the VFR objects without the other "autogen". Yes they do. Now you ask for specific custom made landmarks. I am sure you already checked out their website, if not, yes, Simheaven offers that also, for example many cities in Germany have detailed buildings, as well as some countries like Italy, parts of France, Benelux, Denmark, ... by Bjoern Meyer.

Edited by soaring_penguin

On 10/5/2019 at 9:38 PM, Colonel X said:

The screens in the store are not exactly mindblowing, but it would be silly to think Mister X would do anything that's not an improvement. 

Yes, his airports are superb. He should be selling them !

On 10/5/2019 at 10:00 PM, dmarques69 said:

For me misterx nailed again, autogen is awesome, forest looking very good, ground textures depends on the region, some i risk to say that are better that orthos, others not that much, but overall is a very good product that wroth the price asked.No FPS hit for me.

In Europe together wit X-Europe buildings never looked so good.

So, can I assume you are using X-Europe objects, below the new global textures (in the Scenery order) and they both work together ?

As I understand,  although the description is somewhat vague, even in areas not including the custom autogen (only 8 regions), you still get the new ground textures and forests (darker and more vibrant) showing up...... but then the X-Europe stuff then shows through as autogen on top ?

Thnx

On 10/7/2019 at 10:55 AM, leon310 said:

WOW, looks good, but I do not have the system to run it. nivida 1060 6gb vram is not enough.

It should be. Try reducing Texture size to High ... (middle notch), and reduce World objects to Medium.

I did this recently with a GTX 1080, and my VRAM usage went from over 7GB to just under 6 GB. I run at 2K, but with 4xSSAA+FSAA. I also max out shadows to 8MB.

Interesting I couldn't see any difference in terrain sharpness above 2000 ft !

Give it a try.

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 2:57 AM, Bulva said:

For me, SFDG together with X-Europe2 makes the scenery look almost the same. Not many new buildings appear.
I enclose photos from around Pisa (LIRM):

1) PISA (only X-Europe without SFDG):

908013564_1LIRP000SHORsm.jpg.ffa2391287f

2) PISA (SFDG + X-Europe) :

127967386_2LIRPSFDSHORsm.jpg.382aaeb4aa0

The land class textures in bottom left look identical. Are you positive you have the correct scenery order ?

Try SFDG without X Europe in your scenery folder...... just a thought.

EDIT ....  Having looked at your follow up post, it looks like you have X Europe above SFDG in your Scenery order..... it should below.

Edited by Gabe777

The textures in both photos are identical because they are Ortho ;-).
I meant to show differences in autogen using X-Europe 2 and SFDG.

(of course SFDG is higher than XE)

P.S. X-Europe v.3 is available since yesterday.

Edited by Bulva

17 hours ago, Randall said:

I’m running a 1060 6 GB and have no problems with it. I do have the texture slider at medium for my system but it looks great and runs great. 

Cool. Good news.

7 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

It should be. Try reducing Texture size to High ... (middle notch), and reduce World objects to Medium.

I did this recently with a GTX 1080, and my VRAM usage went from over 7GB to just under 6 GB. I run at 2K, but with 4xSSAA+FSAA. I also max out shadows to 8MB.

Interesting I couldn't see any difference in terrain sharpness above 2000 ft !

Give it a try.

I will. thanks

On 10/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, Bulva said:

The textures in both photos are identical because they are Ortho ;-).
I meant to show differences in autogen using X-Europe 2 and SFDG.

(of course SFDG is higher than XE)

P.S. X-Europe v.3 is available since yesterday.

Sorry. My bad.

Personally just interested in textures as other than Scandinavia I do really frequent the 8 autogen regions.

Has anyone tried SFD Global who is already running Orbx TE Washington scenery? Are there any conflicts, and what is the recommended order of files?

I've asked over in the .org forum but haven't got a clear answer yet.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On 10/5/2019 at 12:11 PM, Colonel X said:

Only downer is that with orthos, you won't be able to fully appreciate his work.

Why is that exactly?

Some users are probably not familiar with the difference between what packages like X-Europe feature in terms of Autogen vs packages like SFD Global or even default X-Plane 11 Autogen.

X-Europe uses the certainly outdated and dull type 1 facades to convert Open Street Map footprints (when available) to infrastructure. The Type 1 facades are plain and simplistic with no other details than a repetitive texture for the walls and roofs. The facades match perfectly the shape and location of an infrastructure on an orthophoto simply because it was generated from the footprint of the building shape in the aerial photo (ortho)

Default Autogen of XP11 as well as the SFD Global package (that replaces the default), are 3D generic objects with detailed walls (balconies etc.), roofs, yards (swimming pools etc). They are grouped in a library and placed using a procedural method along roads and freeways. Unlike the facades, these 3D objects do not match the exact spot and shape of any infrastructure we see in aerial photos (Ortho).

Although simplistic in their shapes, facades can "ruin" fps/performance because they are unique shapes (a lot of them) stored one by one into memory. 3D autogen (SFD or default), are limited shapes, repeated here and there, thus loaded once in the memory.

Even the default Autogen of XP11 looks way better than any facades based autogen. When mixed together, we see two generations of autogen technology and the landscape looks odd.

I much prefer the default autogen and for sure SFD for performance and details.

By the way the new MSFS seems rendering procedural landscapes using facades like technique but their facades look more detailed and refined.

Only XP11 Type 2 facades could look as good if we get urban kits. For now they are reserved to airport infrastructure (i.e: Terminals)

Edited by Claviateur
  • Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998