Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

Some thoughts of VR in relation to MSFS from more perspectives

VR fans appear to be overzealous about the VR, but this is not without reasons. VR is important, and more important for flight simulation, and even more important and urgent for MSFS. Here is why.

1. We all long for bigger view, from 14'' to 50'', from one monitor to tripple monitors, and there is no bigger view than VR.

And MSFS offers the biggest view of the earth, which cries to be fully viewed in VR.

2. We all long for realism, from cga to HD, from HD to 4K. But realism is very limited if it's only two dimensional. We need real 3D with real perspectives to have real sense of the space, and it can only be easily realized with VR.

And MSFS offers the unprecedented realism, which cries to be fully appreciated in VR.

3. We all long for freedom. On my heartstrings freedom sings, all day every day. I want to be flower, a bee, a bird. I want to fly C172, A320, AH-64. I have always wanted a home cockpit, but how many people have the freedom to own it? And how many people can have the freedom to switch from C172 to A320 to AH-64 at a snap of the fingers?

Flight is freedom. VR is freedom. They are born for each other.

4. VR is about to explode. People have been complaining about the low resolution and discomfort, but this is changing. This year all major manufacturers have turned out their nextgen VR headsets with higher resolution and better comforts: Oculus S, Valve Index, HP Reverb, HTC Cosmos, Pimax 8K+/8KS. 

Is Microsoft willing to miss the show?

5. Microsoft has been advocating VR for years. It goes back to the early days of Kinect. Yes I do believe it lays the foundation for later VR development. Its 3D space mapping is unsurpassed even today. Unfortunately even it has all the most cutting edge technology, Microsoft tends to do things half-mindedly. Think of smart phone(long before iPhone), UMPC (long before iPad), Kinect (what a piece of technology), Mixed Reality (how its inside out tracking is becoming the trend)...that's the very reason why we are so worried this time. 

Will Microsoft be blind to its own advantage this time?

6. VR appeals to the general public. It is a great selling point. It is a good opportunity for PR. The general public show wild interest in the new MSFS, because it looks so cutting edge in every way...no, not every way, there will be no VR at launch and they don't have a timeline for it? What? A flight simulator in 2020 and it does not have VR? What a flop!

Will Microsoft let the shortest plank decide the volume of the water of their big shining bucket?

7. VR is simple. The implementation of VR is really simple. It's just a parameter of on and off in Unity and Unreal engine. It's instant immersion without hampering other things.

Will Microsoft draw a dime and benefit the world?

8. VR is difficult and urgent. We have come to the heart of the matter. VR is simple to implement, but difficult to perfect. That is all the more reason why it should be implemented from the very beginning. The integration of the control, the menu, the view, all should be planned from the ground up. It's the base, and the infrastructure. It should not be some afterthoughts, something to be considered and added "later". 

9. VR is the future. VR is the future. MSFS is the future. Future will not come automatically. There will be no future if we don't start it now.

Wish MSFS and VR would creat a bright future together, and for each other!

Edited by yanfeng12342000
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

7. VR is simple. The implementation of VR is really simple. It's just a parameter of on and off in Unity and Unreal enging. It's instant immersion without hampering other things.

Asobo isn't using Unity or Unreal, they are using their own engine.

Here they talk about VR

• Upvote 1

The implementation of basic eye visuals (as per Prepar3D)  (and later adding support for hand controllers, haptics, finger tracking ) isn't complicated. There are plenty of examples and opensource codes to see how it's done. In reality, I believe the Asobo team have already done this much just for their own understanding. They mention their "disdain" for slapping something in - just eye visuals - and that really is a fine start.

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

17 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

The implementation of basic eye visuals (as per Prepar3D)  (and later adding support for hand controllers, haptics, finger tracking ) isn't complicated. There are plenty of examples and opensource codes to see how it's done. In reality, I believe the Asobo team have already done this much just for their own understanding. They mention their "disdain" for slapping something in - just eye visuals - and that really is a fine start.

Yeah they talk about that in the video, simple vs good implementation, I'm pretty sure they can do it, But they didn't want to implement a simple VR. I honestly think they are going to release at least a simple VR mode after seeing all the feedback.

If asobo doesn't release a simple VR, someone is going to make one with the SDK they are going to release.

I hope the SDK is released for everyone in the alpha & with enough functions to make a simple VR.

Edited by Lokote1998

And think about that Microsoft is not in VR but in AR - > Hololens! 

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 minutes ago, guenseli said:

And think about that Microsoft is not in VR but in AR - > Hololens! 

They have WMR which is like budget VR(no external sensors, different screens, etc), I don't think they have forgotten about VR, they might be planing to do something, They recently patented this: https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/04/microsoft-virtual-reality-floor-mat-patent-xbox-vr/

Edited by Lokote1998

8 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

4. VR is about to explode. People have been complaining about the low resolution and discomfort, but this is changing. This year all major manufacturers have turned out their nextgen VR headsets with higher resolution and better comforts: Oculus S, Valve Index, HP Reverb, HTC Cosmos, Pimax 8K+/8KS. 

Is Microsoft willing to miss the show?

6. VR appeals to the general public. It is a great selling point. It is a good opportunity for PR. The general public show wild interest in the new MSFS, because it looks so cutting edge in every way...no, not every way, there will be no VR at launch and they don't have a timeline for it? What? A flight simulator in 2020 and it does not have VR? What a flop!

Will Microsoft let the shortest plank decide the volume of the water of their big shining bucket?

7. VR is simple. The implementation of VR is really simple. It's just a parameter of on and off in Unity and Unreal engine. It's instant immersion without hampering other things.

Will Microsoft draw a dime and benefit the world?

Just to address a few points:

4. VR is about to explode. - that's been said for a number of years and, whilst numbers are increasing, there's been no explosion. VR needs a revolution in technology, not just an evolution.

6. VR appeals to the general public. - where is the evidence for this? Certainly not in the gaming world.

7. VR is simple.  - if it really was that simple, every Unity and Unreal game would have it and that's not the case. Just because a game engine has the capability to support VR, doesn't mean that the implementation will be easy or successful. How is VR benefitting the world?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

4. VR is about to explode. - that's been said for a number of years and, whilst numbers are increasing, there's been no explosion. VR needs a revolution in technology, not just an evolution.

6. VR appeals to the general public. - where is the evidence for this? Certainly not in the gaming world.

7. VR is simple.  - if it really was that simple, every Unity and Unreal game would have it and that's not the case. Just because a game engine has the capability to support VR, doesn't mean that the implementation will be easy or successful. How is VR benefitting the world?

4 - valid point but remember that the cost of VR has been significantly higher. Now a decent VR headset is 3-400 usd

the cost is the most important thing to mass consumption markets.

Then add the better stats, more content etc etc and things might start snowballing very fast.

i was reluctant for years. But when rift got down to 350$ I bought it just to try it, and I was massively surprised by the sensation of space.. You are literally there in the cockpit..  

Priorities folks. Let's keep the priorities straight. What good will VR do when the core, the base of what Flight Simulator is all about is incomplete. I want a Flight Simulator, not a VR world tour. If all the essentials of a Flight "Simulator" are in place then I will gladly vote with you for VR and perhaps even experience it myself when I got all the hardware bit by bit. Until then I am more interested in seasons, ATC, air traffic, airliners, proper aeronautical procedures, etc.. 

Get those right please before thinking about VR

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

This is all nonsense.  MS is never giving up on VR.  They want to be in the pole position when the race starts.  MS 2020 is definitely part of their plan to get them VR users, make no mistake about it.  What greater reality can you have than an accurate 3D generation of the entire world.   VR is the plan, and it's just as much a secret as FS 2020 was.  They're not tipping their hat because the know that it's the Flight Simulator crowd that will help them refine VR more than any other group.  We've been after hyper-realism for decades, pushing the envelope more than any other group.  If we cheer for a world generating VR platfrom they created we all win.

I don’t know how controlling the instruments and control levers etc work in xplane et al at the moment, but I’ve been playing quite a lot of no mans sky recently in VR and the controls are great in that. Everything outside of the ship is logical and clearly has had a lot of thought put into it (no bolted on rubbish, or the need to use an Xbox controller or anything). When you get in the ship you simply grab the throttle with one and, and the joystick with the other. It’s really intuitive. Is that how it already works?

23 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

VR fans appear to be overzealous about the VR, but this is not without reasons. VR is important, and more important for flight simulation, and even more important and urgent for MSFS. Here is why.

Brilliantly articulated and absolutely right

Edited by n4gix
Deleted excessive quote. Again!
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DaveGi said:

Brilliantly articulated and absolutely right

6 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Lmao...!

Still remember when the exact same thing was said about 3DTV’s!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

28 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Still remember when the exact same thing was said about 3DTV’s!

And I remember it was once said that if man was meant to fly, he would have been given wings.

History is full of laughing at progress.

Telephones, computers, television.........

I would also point out that 3DTV never made it into millions of homes and also businesses, hospitals and even militaries worldwide like vr has.

Not to mention: https://readwrite.com/2018/11/08/10-amazing-uses-of-virtual-reality/

In no way comparable to 3DTV

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5