Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

Some thoughts of VR in relation to MSFS from more perspectives

7 hours ago, vortex681 said:

6. VR appeals to the general public. - where is the evidence for this? Certainly not in the gaming world

Yes you’re right, not in the gaming world. It’s not as if PSVR to name just one had sold millions of units, and... oh wait...

Edited by Mgard78

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

And I remember it was once said that if man was meant to fly, he would have been given wings.

History is full of laughing at progress.

Telephones, computers, television.........

I would point out that 3DTV never made it into millions of homes worldwide like vr has. 

Except it did if you look at the sales figures. It just failed miserably afterwards sadly. 

30 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Except it did if you look at the sales figures. It just failed miserably afterwards sadly.

I have a 3d television and so do many friends, but never used it for 3D. Millions and millions were sold..... without the optional 3d glasses.

Every vr headset sold however, is used for vr.

And I watch 3D movies in the headset. In a life sized virtual movie theatre, no less. With other people, worldwide!😀

Even now, I keep my eye on my ten year old niece as she pirouettes around the room, making friends and interacting in vr, a world she will grow up in. It will likely be just as natural to her generation as cellphones and facebook are to ours.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

Nice article but... What the heck is doing that girl riding a bycicle while wearing a VR headset? 😁

Yet another weird but interesting use of VR in the virtual exercise market and even in city planning for bike trails........

Essentially your pedaling speed affects things in the virtual world, with the theory being that you get so immersed in the activity that you barely know you are working out. (As anyone might tell you after a demanding, sweat-inducing session of beat sabre)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 hours ago, OSJJ1985 said:

Priorities folks. Let's keep the priorities straight. What good will VR do when the core, the base of what Flight Simulator is all about is incomplete. I want a Flight Simulator, not a VR world tour. If all the essentials of a Flight "Simulator" are in place then I will gladly vote with you for VR and perhaps even experience it myself when I got all the hardware bit by bit. Until then I am more interested in seasons, ATC, air traffic, airliners, proper aeronautical procedures, etc.. 

Get those right please before thinking about VR

Obviously you have not seen my point 7. VR is simple. You imagine "VR world tour" is in conflict with "Flight Simulator", but that's not the case. According to the developer, adding a "simple mode" of VR is indeed very simple. It will not obstruct "Flight Simulator" in any way. For Unity and Unreal engine, it's as simple as adding one line of code such as "VR: ON". MSFS uses its own engine, but it shouldn't be much more difficult.

Then you'd ask: why don't they just do the simple mode first? Please read my point 8. VR is difficult and urgent. That's the advanced mode of VR which involves optimization of a lot things for VR. That indeed takes time, and resources that are also much needed by other part of the simulator: Seasons, ATC, AI, etc. I presume the developer wants the advanced VR instead of simple VR, but it's not an easy task, so they intend to put it off until later consideration. And I think that's a wrong decision. My point is that if you want to build a future proof flight simulator, you have to implement VR from the very beginning, and I have listed my reasons.

Now if you and the development team still think VR is difficult and NOT urgent, that's OK. Can we make a compromise: Just implement the simple mode of VR. It will not hinder or delay the simulator in any way, yet it offers at least a spectacular world tour for everybody. It's at least better than no VR at all at launch.

• Upvote 1

Betcha the very first thing the guys at FlyInside do is pretty much rip the code to shreds looking to push out Vr for this sim. Even more of a coup if they can do it before Microsoft can!

Devons rig

21 hours ago, OSJJ1985 said:

Priorities folks. Let's keep the priorities straight. What good will VR do when the core, the base of what Flight Simulator is all about is incomplete. 

Get those right please before thinking about VR

The problem with this thinking is that VR should have been something baked in from the start.

VR added to a game as an afterthought is usually terrible as the focus on VR level performance and user interaction hasn't been there from day one.

I hope this isn't the case with MSFS. I hope they actually do have early VR builds in development, but are just playing the cards close to their chest on when it'll be released.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Mgard78 said:

It’s not as if PSVR to name just one had sold millions of units, and... oh wait...

But the new sim is only going to be on the PC and Xbox so whatever has happened with the PS4 is irrelevant.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

9 hours ago, nickhod said:

The problem with this thinking is that VR should have been something baked in from the start.

VR added to a game as an afterthought is usually terrible as the focus on VR level performance and user interaction hasn't been there from day one.

I hope this isn't the case with MSFS. I hope they actually do have early VR builds in development, but are just playing the cards close to their chest on when it'll be released.

If XP11 can successfully add VR later as they have done I would think it would be easy for Microsoft to do so post release!

Chris Camp

On 10/6/2019 at 3:17 PM, Kilo60 said:

Lmao...!

Still remember when the exact same thing was said about 3DTV’s!

Funny I still use my Nvidia 3D Vision along with VR.

There is still a whole community of us 3D TV folks out here and I'm pretty sure we easily have just as many active users as this forum,

Nvidia killed off 3D Vision but..when there's a will...there's a way.😉

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

The analogy to 3D TV is relevant but incomplete. If you agree with my first 3 points, 1. We all long for bigger view2. We all long for realism, 3. We all long for freedom, then we can see 3D TV is on the way to VR, yet it's only a transitional product. 3D TV adds a dimension, which brings more information and more realism, but its view is still limited. It does not have headtracking, and it's not 6DOF or even 3DOF. Many of the problems of 3D TV are actually being overcome by VR. 

• Like 1

But looks like Microsoft and Asobo are being Proactive, and not reactive like many in these forums.

Hopefully they could release a basic VR implementation, where the sim is still controlled using HOTAS.  I appreciate that the ability to reach out and toggle every switch and turn every dial in every plane might take a little longer and that this might be less of a priority.