Sign in to follow this  
325addict

Engine DA20 Katana stalling after 1 minute

I'm just new to this extensive forum, whoow, what a lot of sub-directories and "departments" here!

I hope I post my question at the right place: I just installed the Diamond DA20 Katana (it seems I succeeded in that), I can start the engine and it runs, I can take off, but somehow, every time I try to fly, the engine just quits running after approximately one minute of flying. I tried with and without the fuel pump switch on and off. After the plane has come down, it cannot be restarted. For sure, the starter turns over the engine, but it won't actually start....

Anybody any idea what I do wrong here? It would be nice if my flight can be longer than one minute! 

I do all this in preparation for getting started with my PPL / VFR / SEP (Private Pilot Licence / Visual Flight Rules / Single Engine Piston).

As I understand this aircraft, there is a Fuel Cutoff switch that needs to be turned on otherwise the engine shuts down.

The engine will start with that switch off but won't run for very long.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

OK, this is the info I'm looking for! I read the manual of the DA40 fully, all 284 pages or so, but I don't have this manual for the DA20 Katana. I'll ask Diamond Aircraft to send it as a .pdf or so. At the moment, I just don't know WHERE to look for that switch. I found a switch for the fuel pump, but that didn't make any difference (on or off).

I think I got it - mixture was fully in the downward position (lean), which also says "idle cut-off". I'll try monday, the sim is at my work, from my Boss! He also used it to train for his PPL, now it is my turn!

I still have troubles assigning one of the handles to these functions - I have 3 handles, but it is just the power lever that actually works, so the other ones were still in the fully downward position. I'll move them up using the mouse.

Found the fuel cutoff switch in the manual. It can be located on different positions, so I'll ask my boss how to operate it. He'll HAVE to know this, as he used this exact setup for training purposes...

The fuel cutoff is on the left side of the central pedestal. The horizontal position is fuel ON, vertical for OFF.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

I finally found the handle and was able to stay in the air. Until I wanted to lower the flaps and clicked just next to the button instead of right on it... this changed the point of view, and that while approaching... no good! I was JUST able to avoid a church or so, pulled up the nose while applying full throttle and... survived. The search for the airport started again, and I was able to find an airport.... but not the one I left from! I left from Lelystad and landed at.... Schiphol!

Now finally I'll be flying the real thing this thursday. In a REAL plane I can actually grab real buttons and a real stick, yeehaaaa!

That's great news and you will for sure enjoy the real Katana a lot! 🙂 🙂  I did!

If you mean the Katana created by Marcel Fede, it's a Great little aircraft. It makes me want to relaunch FSX and take a ride with it.

What a pity that Marcel did not port it to P3Dv4....

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|