Christopher Low

Correct process for switching graphics cards

I currently have a 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 GPU installed in my PC. However, God decided this weekend that it was time for an upgrade, and so I am now in the possession of a very nice 6GB GeForce GTX 980Ti :cool: That being the case, I would like to know the correct procedure to replace my old card with the new one. I suspect that I need to do the following....

• Download the latest set of Nvidia graphics drivers
  • Uninstall my current graphics drivers
  • Shutdown the PC
  • Remove the old GTX 770 card
  • Fit the new GTX 980Ti card
  • Reboot the PC (in safe mode?) so that the OS detects the new card
  • Install the new graphics drivers

Is that correct? I fso, do I need to uninstall the old graphics drivers with that DDU (Display Driver Uninstall) utility?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters2.png

Posted (edited)

Hi Christopher,

Looks good to me. I would use DDU to uninstall the old drivers. Don't think you'll need safe mode.

Remember too that Prepar3d.cfg has graphics entries so renaming that and letting P3D generate a new one would be advisable.

Enjoy your new card. 👍

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 10/7/2019 at 5:46 AM, Christopher Low said:
  • Download the latest set of Nvidia graphics drivers
  • Uninstall my current graphics drivers
  • Shutdown the PC
  • Remove the old GTX 770 card
  • Fit the new GTX 980Ti card
  • Reboot the PC (in safe mode?) so that the OS detects the new card
  • Install the new graphics drivers

Is that correct? I fso, do I need to uninstall the old graphics drivers with that DDU (Display Driver Uninstall) utility?

Yes, you really should use DDU in Safe Mode to clean everything related to your 770.  Safe Mode insures all the registry entries for the old card are deleted.  DDU in Safe Mode really does a great job cleaning the registry!

• Make sure you have the 980Ti's manufacturer's drivers.  They should be installed after you first install the new GPU.  Then, if you wish, you can clean the manufacturer's drivers and install an appropriate version of nVidia's drivers.
  • DDU has an option to clean the old drivers in Safe Mode and then shut the computer down so the new GPU can be installed.  Easy peasy!

No need to reboot the computer in Safe Mode for the first boot with the new GPU.  Definitely disconnect the computer from the Internet... MS loves making our driver choices for us when they are allowed. :laugh:  Install the GPU manufacturer's drivers, then reboot, and then tweak the driver settings using nVidia Control Panel or nVidiaProfileInspector.

Have fun!

Greg

i7-8086K @ 5.4GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600 Trident Z 15-15-15, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3D) and Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe, Malware 10 Pro 64.  P3Dv4.5

22 hours ago, lownslo said:

MS loves making our driver choices for us when they are allowed.

It's easy to stop Windows update from installing driver updates: https://pureinfotech.com/exclude-driver-updates-windows-10/

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Posted (edited)

I have Windows 7 at the moment, so I do not need to worry. As for the drivers for the 980Ti, I will be installing the latest Nvidia drivers from the website. I do not have the DVD that came with the card, but I am reasonably certain that installing those specific drivers is not required.

On a side note, I am now intending to upgrade most of my PC at the same time. I had a fair bit of luck over the Cosford weekend, and I want to take advantage of the situation :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters2.png