Sign in to follow this  
barnstormer716

Run-Time Error '76'

I use RC every day, no problems in years.  This morning I get the weather and then try to get my IFR clearance and I hear a ding and that's it.  I pull up RC and there's this message:

Run-Time Error '76':

RadarContact.fsuipc.rcv4code

I'm not a computer guy so I have no clue what this is.  Hopefully some of you do.

Bill Cox

Bill,

That error is path not found. Have you changed any permissions to where your flight plans are located?

At what point in the sequence did that error appear. Right after Clearance is requested? Is it the same for other plans?

What has changed since RC4 last worked okay? Also please advise version of simulator and version of FSUIPC.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Okay, I'm on FSX and FSUIPC4.  I seem to remember looking in some of the FSX files Saturday looking for another problem I'm having with another program (SVS from Carenado).  I do remember opening a file that turned out to be an RC file but I did not change anything.  I just closed it.

Still, I suppose I could have accidentally done something.  I don't even remember where the file was.  Perhaps you can tell me where to go and what to look for.

Thanks, Bill Cox

Bill, I'm not sure how I'm able to help with info as vague as that. What version of FSUIPC4 are you running? Make sure it's the latest available here. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/80977-updated-modules/

RC4 requires write access to MyDocuments\FSX Files. My memory is a little vague on the folder names as I don't have FSX installed any longer. If it can't write data to that folder you'll get the error.

What folder is FSX installed in? Full path please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Computer/Local Disc (C)/Program Files (x86) Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X

I hope that's what you mean.  Again I'm not a computer guy and don't speak the terminology.

FSUIPC:   FSUIPC4, Version 4.90   That's probably pretty old.  If everything's working I don't change it.  Would getting the latest version make RC work?

I'm thinking that I need to know what RC file I need to go to that directs RC to the FSX file.

Bill

Firstly, get the latest version of FSUIPC4. Yours is old. Only the latest is supported.

Second when you open RC4 down in the bottom left is the Options window. Do you have an entry for .FLT/WX Path? If not, click on the button above it and point to MyDocuments\FlightSim X folder.

Come back when you've done that and report. The fact you've had RC4 running for a long time means it's probably something simple that has changed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You know, I once upon a time knew all of this.  It's just been so long since I had a problem with it that I forgotten.  

You nailed it.  Somehow the path had been lost.  I did as you said and now RC is working perfectly.  Now I just have to find my darn FSUIPC key to get the new version registered.

Thank you so much for your help in this.

Bill Cox

Amherst, Virginia, USA

Hi Bill,

RC4 is not the best for saving preferences. That path is critical as you found. If one doesn't exist then the program crashes trying to read from an unknown location. A more helpful error message would prevent these problems but that's not possible now.

You don't need your FSUIPC key. Just run the installer and at the main registration screen just choose "check registration details". Your key is already stored and the program will find it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather