Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

What type of gain going from 1080i to a 1080ti...?

1080 to 1080TI mostly to use TextureExponent=10

You will need almost all VRAM you can get

Speed and FPS and negligible

With Orbx Buildings HD , Orbx Socal and FT KLAS , FSL A320  even on a clearish day I can max out around 10.3 GB of VRAM , and that is with a 1440p display and 2048 textures.

But the scenery looks oh soo amazing. Not a blurry texture in sight !

IN normal scenery areas you use around 7-8GB

Edited by planechaser

6 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

True... But:

When the GPU is under full load in brief situations where it is drawing high Rez auto gen (with shadows/dynamic lights) like landing at a high density urban airport or switching views and high Rez terrain/auto gen has to be rendered, does the better video card process it all faster?  

For instance when switching to external view it takes 10-20 secs at times to redraw the terrain/autogen with each render getting higher and higher Rez...

You have a CPU issue. When switching views and you get blurries that will eventually get sharper, then that is the CPU doing it's calculations. There are no momentary peaks when changing views that come from the GPU, but rather a sustained high load when scene is fully rendered and you have lots of detail to display and trace.

P3Dv4 should not dump it's scenery when switching views. Either you have something malicious in your configuration files or your settings are too high for your hardware and program engine has no other choice but to behave this way. Latter is a speculation and I do not know if this behavior is present and intended. At any rate, you should clear out your .cfg and test with one that doesn't have any "tweaks" in it.

Edited by Evros

I think you are better off saving the money and waiting to buy hardware that will make a bigger difference. I also wouldn't let P3D be the driving factor in buying new hardware. The program seems to like two main things. High processor clockspeed and large amounts of video memory. The tradeoff is you might be able to move sliders to the right a bit, but at a cost. I don't think you can really think of it as "x" percent faster. Your results may vary depending on your settings. If your processor is the limiting factor you may get absolutely no increase in performance. 

1 hour ago, JasonPC said:

large amounts of video memory

No it doesn't. It's only a factor when you decide to use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. That is an unofficial modification and any drawbacks and issues are on the user who decides to use them. Not to mention that this "tweak" is very CPU heavy, not only VRAM. Normally, P3D will use 3-4GB or VRAM on 1440p.

GPU scales pretty linearly in P3D and everywhere else. There are things that are pretty much exclusively GPU heavy, like AA, clouds, dynamic lighting and so on. With faster GPU you can crank those setting and guess what you get in return - deeper immersion. If not for immersion, then why do we try do crank the sliders in the first place? You can enjoy your virtual cockpit and flight dynamics with ugliest graphics settings, but it is not too rewarding, is it? What we need to remind ourselves is that P3D is very much a balancing art. If you peg your CPU to a point where you never get to use a potential of GPU, then that is just poor configuration and not a shortcoming of game engine.

There are too many opinions and too little facts going around here which are conceived out of misinformation and general lack of understanding computer science. If one does not have extensive data from testing or is knowledgeable of facts, which are not up for debate, then I would refrain myself from muddying the waters and possibly putting others, who might know even less, on the wrong path. 

I'm not trying to make OP buy 1080 Ti, or anything in that matter. What I try to do is provide the most accurate information available so he would be able to do factual and informed decision. You know what they say about opinions ....

Edited by Evros

8 hours ago, Evros said:

No it doesn't. It's only a factor when you decide to use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. That is an unofficial modification and any drawbacks and issues are on the user who decides to use them. Not to mention that this "tweak" is very CPU heavy, not only VRAM.

That is what I meant. Don’t forget addons that use 4K textures as well. That will use more video memory than normal. And yes it will be harsher on the CPU. So really yes it does like video memory when you use tweaks and high resolution addons. Using high levels of antialiasing is also another case for a stronger GPU with more video memory.

I don’t use that tweak and I don’t typically use 4K textures except for the cockpit and I rarely ever see video memory usage over 4 gb.

I have a 1080 and also rarely ever see GPU usage over 60%. Some cases caused by active sky and sky force due to clouds use 100% of the cpu and make frame rate drop. A little more GPU power may help this, but this is really caused by active sky creating situations P3D was never meant to have.

Now the CPU being pegged at 100%, I see that all the time. High density scenery and auto gen seems to just absolutely thrash CPUs and that is what you’re going to be fighting with 90% of the time. There’s only so much you can do about it at this time. Buying a highly clocked CPU and overclocking it is about all you can do. You can get more cores but typically more cores = less clock speed so there is a balance there and it seems P3D prefers higher clock.

Then finally there’s just poorly optimized addons like the CS757. The frame rate is just low for no real reason other than the programming. I believe only more CPU power will help these addons.

Edited by JasonPC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JasonPC said:

That is what I meant. Don’t forget addons that use 4K textures as well. That will use more video memory than normal. And yes it will be harsher on the CPU. So really yes it does like video memory when you use tweaks and high resolution addons. Using high levels of antialiasing is also another case for a stronger GPU with more video memory.

I don’t use that tweak and I don’t typically use 4K textures except for the cockpit and I rarely ever see video memory usage over 4 gb.

I have a 1080 and also rarely ever see GPU usage over 60%. Some cases caused by active sky and sky force due to clouds use 100% of the cpu and make frame rate drop. A little more GPU power may help this, but this is really caused by active sky creating situations P3D was never meant to have.

Now the CPU being pegged at 100%, I see that all the time. High density scenery and auto gen seems to just absolutely thrash CPUs and that is what you’re going to be fighting with 90% of the time. There’s only so much you can do about it at this time. Buying a highly clocked CPU and overclocking it is about all you can do. You can get more cores but typically more cores = less clock speed so there is a balance there and it seems P3D prefers higher clock.

Then finally there’s just poorly optimized addons like the CS757. The frame rate is just low for no real reason other than the programming. I believe only more CPU power will help these addons.

I do notice my GPU struggle with AS weather and heavy cloud coverage using REX EF and SF...

Would a GPU upgrade would help much in those circumstances... 

Chris Camp

I’m not sure. I tend to think a 25% increase wouldn’t help much. It would probably take a bigger leap to make a noticeable difference. I think it’s more a limitation in how the program renders clouds.

4 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

I do notice my GPU struggle with AS weather and heavy cloud coverage using REX EF and SF...

Would a GPU upgrade would help much in those circumstances... 

That is exactly what it would help with. As stated before, I had to have different profiles because twilight situations and heavy clouds that pulled my 1080 to it's knees. With 1080 Ti, I am using REX clouds, 8 layers of clouds in AS and draw distance of 150 miles. Heck I could go with 250 miles but AS craps it's pants at anything above 150 and won't depict weather anymore. Sure, I can still max out my GPU, but with frame lock at 40, I rarely fall below 35 in these challenging conditions, and compromising with profiles is needed no more.

Edited by Evros

MSI GTX1080ti is a beast. Just look at the price and try and find a used one. A must have if you use a 4K monitor.

What about 1080ti vs 2080ti?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Around 30% faster. With new architecture and reworked processing pipelines, you can benefit even more if engine can properly utilize the architecture.

19 hours ago, micstatic said:

Good question!!!

Chris Camp

I'm real curious to see what next year will look like in the GPU world.  NVIDIA working on a new one, and now rumors intel will be jumping into the high end card market.  Good time to be a buyer maybe. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I wish I had a computer... a nice computer that has inbuilt sound system and where you can see moving pictures in color in a screen. A computer that you can play chess with and maybe play Pack-Man and Tetris without having micro stutters issue👨‍🦳

Edited by Wennerholm
  • Like 1