Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

Avsim podcast with MSFS Team - Help me list all the info

Hi guys, even tho this is not new by now, i only managed to listen to a little bit of the whole interview now since it's 43 minutes long.

I wish there was a transcript of it all to capture all the finest details. If you want to listen to it too:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/npflp15dzg40o2b/AVSim_Interview_AUDIO.mp3

- HELICOPTERS: It needs a rework compared to what FSX offered, it will take time and it will also depends on what the community feedback. From Bing Map they can extract helipads from the real world.

- WEATHER: Microsoft Flight Simulator features realistic volumetric 3D rain and scattered fog, rain effects on windshields and even physically accurate rainbows in the environment. The new volumetric clouds are ultra-detailed with 32 layers of density, shape and fuzziness and are fully 3D and therefore visible from any angle. Clouds are simulated around the world with a view distance of 600km.

live, real-world weather, including fronts, storms, rain, and all-real-world clouds presented in the sim. The simulator uses 20 vertical layers of worldwide weather data, including pressure, temperature, humidity, wind speed, direction and gusts.

- Improved Aerodynamics: improved physics engine, surface element aerodynamics and new air mass simulations. new collision model that allows the support of slopped runways, skidding, braking and bumps. There are over 1000 simulated surfaces with locally applied 3D forces and 3D moments, enabling local stalling, buffeting and flutter. Native support of advanced aerodynamics makes it possible for realistic stalls, deep stalls, spins in addition to other aerobatics: chandelle, flat spin and invert flat spin. The air mass simulation affects each surface of the aircraft locally and differently, and any 3D shape of any size impacts the movements of air. Hills, mountains and buildings create thermics, updrafts and currents.

- INSTALL SIZE:  the MSFS install size for now should be around 100gb and he keeps around 10gb reserved for the cache (remember that this space can be set by the user). He also mentions that a couple of GB will go away by covering the airport and the nearby area for a typical descent/climb. This of course also varies depending on the Bing coverage and how much data is available in that area.
The Seattle area of the pre-alpha with LOD 19 and LOD 20 was around 60gb

- ATC: they mentioned that in one of the dev build on the world map you would see green dots flying around. And those dots were real life traffic and you could click on it to get info on said flight, and even setup the same flight. You can't crash into them but you can see them, and at one point the AI takes the "yoke" because the data stops when they finish landing.

- THIRD PARTIES: in contact with them since E3. Some were invited to visit Asobo too in case they needed info even before the SDK gets released. The SDK is evolved from the one FSX had and they are getting feedback from third parties

- ASOBO: 60% of them are taking real flight lessons

- AZURE: based on 20,000 computers, managed to tag all trees on the planet from satellite photo in under 7 days. It also managed to find houses, the kind of rooftop on them, clouds and blurred areas in the orthophotos

- User Interface: At Microsoft there is a User Research Department made by behavioral scientists, all PhDs and in the labs they can track what users are doing with the eyes and hands to create the most elegant GUI.

- SOUNDS: real sound for each aircraft (partnership with manufacturers)

- VR: They cannot say at the moment whether it will be there on first release but they’re trying to prioritise it

Have you extracted anything else from it which wasn't covered in other videos/articles around or in the list above?

Edited by france89
adding more information
  • Like 13

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Okay, i think i have added the most interesting points.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, france89 said:

- ATC: they mentioned that in one of the dev build on the world map you would see green dots flying around. And those dots were real life traffic and you could click on it to get info on said flight, and even setup the same flight. You can't crash into them but you can see them, and at one point the AI takes the "yoke" because the data stops when they finish landing.

This is excellent! 

So we will see real world aircraft "AI" flying around in FS2020, just like can be seen on services like FlightRadar24 etc.  And of course they will be flying actual SIDs/STARs.

Matthew S

6 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

This is excellent! 

So we will see real world aircraft "AI" flying around in FS2020, just like can be seen on services like FlightRadar24 etc.  And of course they will be flying actual SIDs/STARs.

I guess you still need the models (and all the paints) for correct depiction in the Sim, but having the live data alone is quite a feature. At start I will probably whatever generic aircraft they have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

This is excellent! 

I don't think this is excellent at all.  Will be ok for cruise, but how on earth are you going to get the appropriate spacing at busy major airfields?  And how will atc control both you and the live AI in tandem - simply showing ai flights as they are in reality is the easy part, actually controlling them is pretty much impossible I'd say.

I would like realistic atc that reacts and controls ai depending on where Im flying and what Im doing, as well as controlling me properly.  I hope there are options to have both live ai traffic (for those that want it, not me) and also not real but intelligent MFS controlled ai traffic, that is controlled  as per ICAO regs, by voice, in a seamless integrated way.

• Upvote 4

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

25 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

This is excellent! 

Actually. This have some heavy limitations. FR24 doesn’t allow (by now) use their data, and there aren’t much freeware sources out there (I don’t know anyone with the same coverage as FR).

if you use live traffic for XP, you know how it feels. 

Also, your plane doesn’t even exist for the rest of the traffic. So I think if this works that way, AI will be necessary in more than one occasion (taxi, app, take off order, etc.).

2 hours ago, france89 said:

- ASOBO: 60% of them are taking real flight lessons

I cant stress enough how big of a win this is for us. Also financing the flying lessons for 60% of the staff is no easy feat which tells us that they really want to focus on the realism. How the plane flies and how the world looks from a pilots perspective. No wonder we are seeing photo realistic visuals. 

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

Missing ,

“Microsoft Flight Simulator” features realistic volumetric 3D rain and scattered fog, rain effects on windshields and even physically accurate rainbows in the environment. The new volumetric clouds are ultra-detailed with 32 layers of density, shape and fuzziness and are fully 3D and therefore visible from any angle. Clouds are simulated around the world with a view distance of 600km.

live, real-world weather, including fronts, storms, rain, and all-real-world clouds presented in the sim. The simulator uses 20 vertical layers of worldwide weather data, including pressure, temperature, humidity, wind speed, direction and gusts.

Missing Improved Aerodynamics

improved physics engine, surface element aerodynamics and new air mass simulations. new collision model that allows the support of slopped runways, skidding, braking and bumps. There are over 1000 simulated surfaces with locally applied 3D forces and 3D moments, enabling local stalling, buffeting and flutter. Native support of advanced aerodynamics makes it possible for realistic stalls, deep stalls, spins in addition to other aerobatics: chandelle, flat spin and invert flat spin. The air mass simulation affects each surface of the aircraft locally and differently, and any 3D shape of any size impacts the movements of air. Hills, mountains and buildings create thermics, updrafts and currents.

Best CJ

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chuck_Jodry-VJPL said:

Hey Chuck

Thanks.

A suggestion : you should pin on this forum a post linking to the front page article or maybe this thread. I must admit that I generally go straight to the forum index when hitting Avsim. I may not be alone.

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

- real sound for each aircraft (partnership with manufacturers)

- VR: They cannot say at the moment whether it will be there on first release but they’re trying to prioritise it

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

"A suggestion : you should pin on this forum a post linking to the front page article or maybe this thread. I must admit that I generally go straight to the forum index when hitting Avsim. I may not be alone"

I figure I have do so when I unpin it from the Front Page, mention was made of doing so by the moderators , I had thought one among them would have done so already but perhaps they were waiting for me to do so even though I never pin topics in the forums .  

1 hour ago, MatthewS said:

This is excellent! 

Keep in mind that they said it was one of the dev build, so at some point they explored this idea. We don't know if it will be the one they are going to follow or not.

59 minutes ago, Chuck_Jodry-VJPL said:

Missing ,

Best CJ

4 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

- real sound for each aircraft (partnership with manufacturers)

Thank you, added both to the first post!

@france89 thanks for this, there are quite a few bits in there that I didn’t already know. 

funnily enough, the lab referred to was featured in ‘Click’ (the BBC’s technology show) over the weekend. It looks a very high tech place - there’s even a test where they literally sew sensors into testers’ hands so they can see how much force they need to use to do various things!

5 hours ago, france89 said:

Just a thought... should this item be renamed "AI" since there's no mention of Air Traffic Control in the description?

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

9 hours ago, OSJJ1985 said:

I guess you still need the models (and all the paints) for correct depiction in the Sim, but having the live data alone is quite a feature. At start I will probably whatever generic aircraft they have. 

Maybe the models and paints is something MS will stream also.

Matthew S