Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_Jodry-VJPL

Interview With Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Well, to be entirely fair, I'm pretty sure that they haven't put the final polish on KRNT yet. No telling what state of pre-alpha they were when this was "filmed." It may well have been from January or February of this year. A lot of their still screenshots were from that time frame.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

For sure. I am just wondering how old their satellite imagery is.

It’s been many years on that blast fence. I’m surprised they wouldn’t have some more recent imagery for an area like the Seattle metropolitan area.

So far I have not seen any night videos. Anybody seen one?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, CarlosF said:

So far I have not seen any night videos. Anybody seen one?

The E3 release video has some scenes, also the Aspen clip. The preview of the discovery feature series also shows a small scene showcasing some city at night.

I hope they will showcase a lot about the world on tomorrow's update, including the night scenes.

16 hours ago, Jim Young said:

The runway is the blurriest runway I have ever seen.

Youtube video compression is making the runway look blurry, That isn't how it actually looks in-game.

Youtube can't handle MSFS2020 runway texture + movement(grass probably is affecting too).

Example 1:

Cockpit before landing(Everything is fine).

48873402371_c3c0802ab8_z.jpg

Example 2:

Cockpit while landing(Youtube compression dying).

48872870428_e380fc3e4e_z.jpg

The only problem here isn't youtube compression, We have to remember that this footage was sent by microsoft to youtubers/press, We don't know if the footage was raw 4k. If it wasn't then the footage we are seeing has been possibly compressed 2 times.

Maybe we can ask youtubers if they can upload the raw 4k file to google drive or something similar, That way we aren't going to watch heavily compressed videos(I doubt they have the raw 4k files, Their file size is pretty big).

If anyone wants to know more about youtube compression, I recommend this video: 

Edited by Jim Young
Embedded the video.
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Lokote1998 said:

The only problem here isn't youtube compression, We have to remember that this footage was sent by microsoft to youtubers/press, We don't know if the footage was raw 4k. If it wasn't then the footage we are seeing has been possibly compressed 2 times.

This type of compression artifacts doesn't look like the typical VP9 artifacts you see on YouTube, so I think it's down to the source. Usually 4K video is handled well, but this is not the case here. Considering that this long video sent to the press is a collection of many clips, we could end up looking at a video compressed three times. The best way to watch those would be the individual clips uploaded somewhere, perhaps on the Insider Home or something.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lokote1998 said:

Youtube video compression is making the runway look blurry, That isn't how it actually looks in-game.

Thank you for the explanation!  Some of the clips looked really good and crisp and clear.  Others were a little blurry so I fully understand what happened now.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

13 hours ago, ca_metal said:

The preview of the discovery feature series also shows a small scene showcasing some city at night

As far as I could tell, there were only street lights, did not see anything that would resemble city lights. Oh well, maybe Im just used to see XP amazing night lights. Lets see how MS handles this part of the sim.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

17 hours ago, Casualcas said:

Exactly. In other words, I have no bloody idea. Nobody said squat about the hangars from any interviews and preview videos. And new ones keep popping up.. 

The Three Grumpy Simmers said in their video about the Preview Event that when you choose to start at the runway at any airport, there was a short cutscene of the aircraft taxiing and entering the runaway. My guess is that when you choose to start at certain airport positions near hangars, you'll get the cutscene that we saw in the E3 trailer, but I hope that we get more hangar interaction.

That information starts at 1:00:12.

I finally found time to listen to the interview earlier today. It was good, and a few bits that were outside the ‘lines to take’ they’ve been working from for the last couple of weeks. Only bit I found a bit cringeworthy was the comment on the menu making it feel gamey, but I wasn’t sure if that was a joke or not. 

Belgeode is thee man!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, Superdelphinus said:

I finally found time to listen to the interview earlier today. It was good, and a few bits that were outside the ‘lines to take’ they’ve been working from for the last couple of weeks. Only bit I found a bit cringeworthy was the comment on the menu making it feel gamey, but I wasn’t sure if that was a joke or not. 

Re  the Menu , the Gamey  comment was my suggestion they leave out the cheezy music when the menu is up , I always found it made the interface feel Gamey and its the first thing I turned off.

Best CJ

It felt like the interviewer spoke more than the interviewees lol.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:41 AM, dplens said:

The Three Grumpy Simmers said in their video about the Preview Event that when you choose to start at the runway at any airport, there was a short cutscene of the aircraft taxiing and entering the runaway.

And boy do I hope that can be turned off in settings!

If I want to start with engines running on the runway, then that's what I want. No ATC interaction, no cut scene unless I opt in. I fly in the FSEconomy game and time is (virtual) money.  😉

Even aside from that, if I'm testing a new scenery location or some other aspect of the sim, I don't want any cinematic BS before I can release the brakes and take off. And of course I want all the usual cold start options too, from ramp or hangar. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

And boy do I hope that can be turned off in settings!  

They also said you can skip it