Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Home cockpit/screw mount?

I know not many have this new yoke yet.  I was lucky to receive mine yesterday.

Has anyone figured out if there's a way to screw the yoke directly to a tray in a home cockpit such as the chairs from Gleim Aviation or Volairsim?  At one point they had stated they'd share the same mounting pattern as Saitek, but as I'm looking at mine, it seems there is no way to directly screw the yoke to a tray.  It seems we may be forced to use the "suction plate".  Which I can screw to the tray and then mount, but wish there was more consideration to this. 

Eric Szczesniak

3 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

I know not many have this new yoke yet.  I was lucky to receive mine yesterday.

Has anyone figured out if there's a way to screw the yoke directly to a tray in a home cockpit such as the chairs from Gleim Aviation or Volairsim?  At one point they had stated they'd share the same mounting pattern as Saitek, but as I'm looking at mine, it seems there is no way to directly screw the yoke to a tray.  It seems we may be forced to use the "suction plate".  Which I can screw to the tray and then mount, but wish there was more consideration to this. 

I'm not really sure I'm understanding here.

There is the mounting plate, and then there is the suction plate.  Can't you simply mount the mounting plate and then attach the yoke to the plate?  You'd only have to ensure that you had enough clearance to adjust the two screws on either side of the yoke which create the pressure to hold in place.

Photos would probably help.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I thought you had a HoneyComb yoke Dave? There is only one plate in the box and that is the mounting plate with the sticky pad on the bottom. Were are you getting two separate plates from?

For the OP, the Saitek mounting solution that HoneyComb was referring to is the top of the Yoke were you can attach the radio stack or other Saitek panels/gauges. They were not referring to how the yoke mounts underneath.

Edited by TalonMX

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

17 minutes ago, TalonMX said:

They were not referring to how the yoke mounts underneath.

Well then I am looking for photos of how the yoke mounts to a desk or flat surface.  I have a desk with a 3/4" bullnose on the leading edge.  The mount must be able to reach underneath and compress well enough to hold the yoke.  I have not yet seen photos of any suction cup arrangement.  Photos please!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

49 minutes ago, TalonMX said:

I thought you had a HoneyComb yoke Dave? There is only one plate in the box and that is the mounting plate with the sticky pad on the bottom. Were are you getting two separate plates from?

For the OP, the Saitek mounting solution that HoneyComb was referring to is the top of the Yoke were you can attach the radio stack or other Saitek panels/gauges. They were not referring to how the yoke mounts underneath.

Have ypu had a chance to read my report, especially the section on mounting? I covered the difference between using suction and not using it.

As I said, maybe I'm just not understanding you.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

8 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Have ypu had a chance to read my report, especially the section on mounting? I covered the difference between using suction and not using it.

As I said, maybe I'm just not understanding you.

Dave I read your report. Above you said “There is the mounting plate, and then there is the suction plate“ as to make it sound like there are two plates in the kit when they are actually the one and the same plate That’s all I am saying. 

As far as the OP original question, I guess the Saitek has screw holes underneath it to allow user to direct mount it to a surface. I don’t own one but that is what I am understanding by the OP question. What is confusing everyone is HoneyComb Statement that it’s Saitek Compatable. What they are saying is it work along side Saitek products and that the Saitek products can mount to the top of there equipment. The statement has nothing to do with how the yoke physically mounts to the desk.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

4 hours ago, TalonMX said:

As far as the OP original question, I guess the Saitek has screw holes underneath it to allow user to direct mount it to a surface

It doesn't. But with the Honeycomb you can at least drill holes through the mounting plate without opening up the yoke! Whether this will void the warranty is a question you might need to ask :)

Edited by MarkDH
  • Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

The only option I can find is drilling holes through the base plate.  The mounting mechanism from the yoke the base plate feels pretty solid, so that should be ok.  I'm disappointed they didn't consider this option and hope they include something for the throttle.

As for the plate, it's not really a suction plate totally, but more of a sticky pad.  Either way, it does not hold lasting hold on the metal tray/yoke mount on my Volair sim chair and the clamps interfere with the under side mount of the tray itself.

To fppilot, I think you should be ok.  I'm not setup to post photos in the forum, but the clamps are 2.5-3" deep, open about 2.5" and the clamping surface on the underside looks to be 1-1.5" in.  I'd have to measure sometime when I'm home.  They look like woodworking C-clamps. 

Eric Szczesniak

Hi ESzczesniak, just saw your post. How did you get on with the base plate, did you have to drill it? I think the clamps will also interfere with my desk.

7 hours ago, Muklum said:

It does. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdhmmllkrrI, specifically at 8:15. It's just a matter of finding suitable bolts.

Yes, apparently it does. Now I can't remember why I drilled holes in mine :huh:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

19 hours ago, johnbla said:

Hi ESzczesniak, just saw your post. How did you get on with the base plate, did you have to drill it? I think the clamps will also interfere with my desk.

I drilled holes in mine. No real issue. Wish they had made provision for this though. 

Eric Szczesniak