Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Are 9/11 flight numbers still in use?

United 93, American 11 and 77 and United 175. I can’t imagine any of those flight numbers are still in use. Have they all be mothballed?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Scandinavian Airlines route to NY from CPH was 911, now 909 and 901

/Peter 

• Like 1

No, some of the flights are still scheduled at those times I believe, but the flight numbers have changed. Interestingly I was reading an article about this recently (can't find it now) and it referred to a US flag flying at Newark Int'l at the gate from where UA93 departed from.

Ian S

38.jpg

Thanks chaps. I could understand the flight still happening but with a change of flight number. I can’t imagine the airlines and pax would want to fly on those numbers.

I’m surprised they fly a flag at the gate. Nervous pax wouldn’t want reminding of that event.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There are flags at each of the gates in boston and newark where the hijacked 9/11 flights departed. There is an extra flag at bos where after united moved from C to B terminals, they decided to put a flag at one of their new gates, which was not actually a 9/11 flight gate.

• Upvote 1

So no small discrete plaques at any of the airports? What is at Shanksville where 93 crashed?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

So no small discrete plaques at any of the airports? What is at Shanksville where 93 crashed?

Flight 93 National Memorial

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_93_National_Memorial

EqCV9.png

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

United 93, American 11 and 77 and United 175. I can’t imagine any of those flight numbers are still in use. Have they all be mothballed?

Some yes. On 9/11, I worked for COA (Continental) and was present at our Newark (KEWR) company ramp tower, located adjacent to the FAA Tower*. I watched UAL93 depart Rwy 4L without any abnormalities. Several minutes later we were alerted by FAA to problems with UAL93 and began tracking the flight with our flight following, radar like software over Ohio. The datablock information** indicated a destination of KDCA (Washington Reagan National) which was not normal and a significant change from the planned KSFO destination. The rest is history.

If you check UAL93 on Flightaware, the data erroneously indicates the flight "landed" DCA more than 18 years ago. 

*Both FAA and company towers have been relocated

**Datablock Information  - This is information (altitude, GS, supplemental information) electronically displayed and associated with a radar target. 

• Like 1

Thanks Fr Bill. Every few years I watch United 93 and it never fails to shock. 18 years ago. Crikey.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The UAL93 movie is very accurate in many respects. Many of the controllers are not actors but real controllers from NY TRACON and EWR Tower. 

4 minutes ago, Les Parson said:

I watched UAL93 depart Rwy 4L without any abnormalities....

What a sad memory. Something you would rather forget I'm sure.

I know a Swiss engineer who was at Charles de Gaulle on 25 July 2000 and heard the AF Concorde take-off with a different noise than usual. He didn't see it which is probably fortunate.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Les Parson said:

The UAL93 movie is very accurate in many respects. Many of the controllers are not actors but real controllers from NY TRACON and EWR Tower. 

The director - Paul Greengrass - is a Brit and did a wonderful job of what must have been a very difficult story to relate. I knew many of the controllers were real world. Hard to imagine how they must have felt when it was made just 5 years after the atrocity.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The director - Paul Greengrass - is a Brit and did a wonderful job of what must have been a very difficult story to relate. I knew many of the controllers were real world. Hard to imagine how they must have felt when it was made just 5 years after the atrocity.

I know most of it was shot in London and their were unrelated ATC labour issues at the time and that has something to do with it. A former friend, Ben Sliney was originally a technical director but later took over and acting role. At the time, uncertainty and confusion was crazy. Many of the controllers relocated from FAA tower to our tower for fear of further attacks. The strongest memory for me is watching the twin towers come down. Most of the films you've likely seen were close but we were about two miles away, straight across the river. I remember saying: "...from now on, there will only be a single tower".  Of course that was proven wrong in just a few minutes. 

Ben Sliney is a name I remember from the credits. Wasn't he the main man who took the decision to shut down all US airspace? From there on in the film the action switches to UA93.

I can't begin to think what it must have been like to see such huge buildings collapse. Disbelief I would imagine until the reality sets in. I was at work that day and a colleague sent me an email around 14:15 British Time (09:15 US) saying a small aircraft had hit the WTC. I found an office with a radio and all work had stopped as everyone just listened to what was happening. I went home around 15:30 by which time both towers were down. A day no-one who was old enough will ever forget.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather