Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Are 9/11 flight numbers still in use?

At the time, Ben Sliney was at the ATCSCC (ATC System Command Center) outside Washington, near IAD (Dulles) and yes, he made the decision as the one in charge on the floor. He later went to N90 (NY TRACON), where I met him. I last saw him about three years ago. The night before 9/11 was absolutely terrible with major thunderstorms and massive New York delays of several hours. Within the airline industry and east coast FAA, this is known as SWAP (Severe Weather Avoidance Plan) and a real headache for everybody. The next day, 9/11 was crystal clear without a single cloud anywhere. I first saw smoke from WTC driving up the New Jersey Turnpike with initial radio reports of a "light" aircraft hitting the tower. Many, including me, thought of a Cessna or light twin from Teteroboro (TEB) impacting the tower being a likely scenario. 

Les, it seems hard to imagine why the initial reports would put it down to a light aircraft when you see the size of the hole in tower 1. The only footage is from those French chaps making a film about NY firemen. But I suppose the speed it came in at would catch most people unaware.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I had just awakened and sat down in my living room to watch the news. By that time the first plane had hit and no one seemed to know just what had happened. I called my best friend on the phone waking him up and I said "Jim turn on your TV!" He asked "What channel?" and I replied "Any of them!"

I remained on the phone with him while he turned on his TV and we began watching events unfold together. He was watching at the time the second plane flew into the second tower. We were both horrified. I'll never get those images out of my mind, and they still haunt my dreams occasionally.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Les, it seems hard to imagine why the initial reports would put it down to a light aircraft when you see the size of the hole in tower 1. The only footage is from those French chaps making a film about NY firemen. But I suppose the speed it came in at would catch most people unaware.

Well, before there were any video or news reports available, conjecture set in rapidly about what people (me included) thought was the most rational. The people I was in contact with (FAA and Port Authority ops/law enforcement) had not seen nor were aware of any footage of a B757/767 impacting the towers. After all, the very idea of a transport class aircraft in VMC, without a cloud in the sky, impacting WTC was unthinkable. Therefore, It must have been a low-time, inexperienced pilot, or some bizarre suicide.

There were early reports of a NORDO AAL11, but that flight was under control of ZBW (Boston ARTCC) not by ZNY (New York ARTCC) or N90 (NY TRACON). 

Les, as shown very well in United 93 even amongst professional ATC staff they could hardly believe what they were witnessing. A day like no other.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, n4gix said:

I had just awakened and sat down in my living room to watch the news. By that time the first plane had hit and no one seemed to know just what had happened. I called my best friend on the phone waking him up and I said "Jim turn on your TV!" He asked "What channel?" and I replied "Any of them!"

I remained on the phone with him while he turned on his TV and we began watching events unfold together. He was watching at the time the second plane flew into the second tower. We were both horrified. I'll never get those images out of my mind, and they still haunt my dreams occasionally.

Pretty much mirrors my day as well, only I called my brother as soon as the second plane hit, same conversation, put the TV on....

Matthew Kane

On 10/10/2019 at 2:03 AM, Matthew Kane said:

Pretty much mirrors my day as well, only I called my brother as soon as the second plane hit, same conversation, put the TV on....

i was cabin crew and got stuck in Gander for a week on the VS45,  halcyon days.  I was a smoker back then.  I still remember to this day how expensive cigs where in Canada and noone in cnada smoked.

I also remember I only packed 3 pants of underwear and i was there a week. 

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

i was cabin crew and got stuck in Gander for a week on the VS45,  halcyon days.  I was a smoker back then.  I still remember to this day how expensive cigs where in Canada and noone in cnada smoked.

I also remember I only packed 3 pants of underwear and i was there a week. 

Even though now I live in New Zealand but I am originally a Maritime Canadian, you guys had the best place in the world to be stranded for that week. Nothing beats Newfie Hospitality. My mother is a Newfie so I should know. Hope you got screeched in. 😎

Matthew Kane