Sign in to follow this  
LosGenero

Upcomming Just Flight´s Traffic Global for X-Plane

43 minutes ago, Mike Berger said:

Thanks didnt know he also twich's , there you go your first positive in avsim 😉

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

@Mike Berger

In the meantime I have managed to display the AI traffic in Pilot2ATC as well. I still had WorldTraffic3 and Swift installed. After I had uninstalled both, the AI traffic was displayed in Pilot2ATC as well.

Regards

Reiner

Meine Virtuelle Airline: Leipzigair   LHA357    abz_3kapitaen.gif
Mein Youtube Channel: Reiner on Tour
X - Plane 11 | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | 32GB DDR4-3200  | AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT | Win10 /64bit

Hi Dave,

In the Traffic Global X-Plane manual, it mentions the weakness of the TCAS hack only being able to show the 19 aircraft closest to the pilot. Referring to that weakness, it says:

"To try to help this situation, Traffic Global provides the location and other details of all AI aircraft in a way which other developers can easily use. Example source code in C++ is provided as part of the installation. It can be found in the Traffic Global directory, called ‘DatarefTest.cpp’. Other languages should be very easily converted."

Would it be possible for Pilot2ATC to use that information and allow us to do away with the TCAS hack?

Regards,

Rich

I very much doubt you are ever going to see more than 19 TCAS blips on your ND at any one time, if you do then it's time to declutter like a real pilot would do with above or below etc. And to call it a hack is not the correct term really, it's the way every traffic addon for X-Plane works apart from LiveTraffic, but that dev wrote his own custom TCAS system and api, now that was a hack. There are also no real negatives to using the 19 X-Plane AI aircraft, especially with Traffic Global as it takes control over those 19 AI aircraft the instant the sim loads and stops X-Plane loading its horribly inefficient models from taking up resources. One Caveat is to only select one aircraft type and one paint for all 19 slots, as the model and textures for that aircraft are loaded into memory. If you chose 19 different aircraft or the same aircraft and 19 different paints it will take up more memory. 

Cheers, Andy.

Thank you for the explanation. A good tip to only select only one aircraft type with the same livery.

I called it a hack, as that's what Just Flight call it. I suppose 'workaround' would be more accurate. I certainly wouldn't call it a solution, as it uses a feature of X-Plane in a way that it wasn't designed for. If ever Laminar Research were to modify or remove that feature, the workaround might/would no longer work. Therefore, since Just Flight provide "the location and other details of all AI aircraft in a way which other developers can easily use", Pilot2ATC connecting directly with Traffic Global still seems to be a good idea to me.

It can reasonably be called a 'hack' because it utilizes xplanes AI in a way it wasn't meant to be in the first place, bypassing the fact that there's no native access to xplanes tcas otherwise. But however you call it, I wouldn't say it's useless to have the ability to show more than 19 aircraft, as the 20th could be the one above you crossing your flightpath while you climb out, whilst xplane decided to show the 19 below you. 

I would appreciate if Pilot2ATC would be able to have direct access to Traffic Globals aircraft. 

Edited by RobW05

You should have your TCAS mode set to above when climbing, and below when descending, to reduce clutter. 

Cheers, Andy.

4 minutes ago, Andydigital said:

You should have your TCAS mode set to above when climbing, and below when descending, to reduce clutter. 

Of course you should have it set that way. But xplane won't care how your TCAS is set, xplane simply shows the 19 aircraft that are more or less the nearest around you. You may agree these are, in certain circumstances like a climb, not necessarily the ones you are interested in in such a situation. 

Edited by RobW05

The aircraft closest to you, but below you while you climb? Sorry, I would rather have the ones above me shown in that situation. 😉