Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

AI and/or ATC in MSFS

23 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

I was wondering right now. Wouldn't be easier to use the data of the flights instead of the real-time flight information? I mean, instead of following and depicting the flight live on the sim (like flightradar24 does), MS could just use the flightplans to inject the traffic. 

This way the simulator would have total control over the traffic (and would allow to interact with a future default ATC). They could even follow delays or cancellations if they had live data.

This is what I was talking about in my first post in this thread. While it's intriguing to have aircraft at their (more or less) exact position as in the real world, the disadvantages of disappearing aircraft, no or little ground traffic, lost signals, etc. makes this worrisome for me. Personally, I'd much rather have real world flight plans for the day and time based on schedule (and delays) which are sent on their way under the full guidance of the sim. Like I said, you're going to have a hard time trying to squeeze in at a busy airport.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 minute ago, threegreen said:

This is what I was talking about in my first post in this thread. While it's intriguing to have aircraft at their (more or less) exact position as in the real world, the disadvantages of disappearing aircraft, no or little ground traffic, lost signals, etc. makes this worrisome for me. Personally, I'd much rather have real world flight plans for the day and time based on schedule (and delays) which are sent on their way under the full guidance of the sim. Like I said, you're going to have a hard time trying to squeeze in at a busy airport.

Not necessarily. They can deliver the feature with sliders where you could change the ammount of traffic you would like to have. Too many aircrafts when you are trying to fly? Just set the sliders lower and the sim will make some of the aircrafts disappear.

4 minutes ago, threegreen said:

While it's intriguing to have aircraft at their (more or less) exact position as in the real world, the disadvantages of disappearing aircraft, no or little ground traffic

For most major airports, the positions are fairly accurate as there are a lot of ADS-B receivers available. But you do raise the other key issue with live traffic. Aircraft do not consistently keep their transmitters active on the ground. For live traffic to work correctly, the sim would have to manage the AI aircraft on the ground, which is not that hard to do.

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

For most major airports, the positions are fairly accurate as there are a lot of ADS-B receivers available. But you do raise the other key issue with live traffic. Aircraft do not consistently keep their transmitters active on the ground. For live traffic to work correctly, the sim would have to manage the AI aircraft on the ground, which is not that hard to do.

Still the aircrafts would "jump" from the gate to the runway when the transponder is turned on. The A.I. can't predict that. 

Working with the schedules and flightplans would add more immersion to the sim, in my opinion. The plane not being on the exact place of the real life wouldn't a big deal to me. But having planes appearing and disappearing and colliding with our planes on the taxi route would be worst IMO. I mean, the data is available live, we can see when a flight is delayed or cancelled on real time, the sim could work perfectly with that.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Upvote 2

Live traffic "has a lot of promise", as the proponents often say, but it still needs some work to make it completely immersive. The best solution to date for me is to combine the real life AIG schedules with VOXATC controlling the AI aircraft.

In the interview they mentioned that there were green dots in the preview event on the interface page. Those dots were the live air traffic and you could select any of them do to that specific flight. 

If they rely on FR24 data it’s not good enough. There are times that aircrafts shown on FR24 do crazy paths which is due to the inaccuracy of the receivers. I guess it’s better to collect the schedule of the airports and AI take over from the very beginning of the flight. 

Edited by raspian300

If using live traffic, How can my little imaginary aircraft squeeze into DEP/APR chain at a very busy airport?

If using live traffic, how can they direct you to line up, land, take off, etc (assuming there is some ATC.)  I think a vastly updated version of the AI traffic we already had would be better.

I say updated because as it is, even with the sliders on full, the skies are mostly empty.  I often fly around NYC (some of the busiest airspace in North America in reality) using P3D and I'll be the only one for as far as the eye can see.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

"even with the sliders on full, the skies are mostly empty."

What AI prg.are you using? I always have plenty of AI in the skies around me near the major airports. I use only freeware ai, either from AIG or some I have installed myself.

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11