Do you currently use offline ATC in your flight sim? Or do you plan to use it in MSFS?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently use offline ATC in your flight sim? Or do you plan to use it in MSFS?

• Yes, I do use ATC in my flight sim and I plan to use it in MSFS
    • No, I don't use ATC in my flight sim but I do plan to use it in MSFS
    • No, I don't use ATC in my flight sim and I don't plan to use it in MSFS
    • My current sim doesn't have ATC but I do plan to use it in MSFS
    • My current sim doesn't have ATC and I don't plan to use it in MSFS

See poll question! It doesn't matter if you use default ATC or ProATC or whatever add on. 

I myself do use ATC in my current sim (ProATC in P3D) and certainly do plan to use ATC in MSFS!

EDIT
I added 'offline' to the poll question because this poll is about offline ATC (default ATC, ProATC, etc.) and not online ATC like VATSIM. 

Edited by Flamingpie

Rats! Ignore one response to option 1 as I was thinking of the in-sim ATC when I replied. Put me down for option 3 instead.

Hopefully they’ll have something voice interactive like VoxATC.  I hate picking menu items for ATC.

• Like 3

Jorg Neumann said they don't really know yet how to implement ATC, there is plenty ways to do it (if I remember correctly)

So maybe another poll where we can choose what kind of ATC we want? Maybe some refreshing ideas? (With live traffic only, hybrid with live and AI traffic, with Live ATC implemented, only AI traffic...)

I am not joking 🙂

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wish we have ATC at release  and thus ready to have a minimalist approach. 

However, I don't think that the existing default is acceptable. It has existed since 2001 after all. A bit stale now. Asobo should add some basic functions like hold, speed reduction/augmentation on approach for separation and no yoyo-ing.  Also towers giving the wind when no ATIS is available. 

If they want to do more and/or work with a 3rd party, they are of course welcome.

• Like 2

I’m planning to use PilotEdge mostly

Edited by irrics

I've never, ever used the default ATC in the sim.  If it had been left completely out of every version of MSFS marketed in the last 25 years, I really wouldn't have noticed or taken issue.  I've always had to use a third-party add-on to get anywhere close to procedural correctness with correct terminology.  So if my choices were to include ATC similar to what we've had in the past or no ATC at all, I'd choose no ATC at all.

• Like 1

I guess it really depends what you want out of the sim. I can imagine real world pilots want to practice flying where enthusiasts want immersion. I like AI traffic, holding patterns and full taxiways because I want to pretend I am a pilot. 

If they do implement it, I just hope it is done right to where it can be updated with new  AIRAC cycles, because if you want to fly SIDS and STARS you'll be listening to ATC tell you you are off course the entire flight. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I would love something using cortana or similar. So a bit more real, but not as ‘real’ as those online services are. Talking to real people pretending to be air traffic controllers is several steps too far into megageek territory for me. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

I would love something using cortana or similar. So a bit more real, but not as ‘real’ as those online services are. Talking to real people pretending to be air traffic controllers is several steps too far into megageek territory for me. 

But talking out loud at home to a computerized voice in a box is not “MegaGeek territory”?

“honey - are you coming to bed?  what are you doing?”

”Too busy right now talking to virtual ATC on windows. I gotta finish up this long haul flight in real time and then I’ll get out of my pilots outfit and come to bed”

(Wife starts questioning her life choices...)

lol

In any case, Thank God this doesn’t involve Apple. Siri would vector you right into a mountain

Edited by irrics
  • Upvote 1

No I wouldn’t even want to talk in any sense at all. I could do that on f1 2019 now if I wanted to, but the abuse from my better half would be merciless. 

Siri would just start ringing someone I hadn’t spoken to in 2 years probably, or start playing deeply inappropriate music for a given situation (both of which he has done to me in the last 12 months). 

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see a Poll asking if we'd like a break from Polls

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irrics said:

I'd like to see a Poll asking if we'd like a break from Polls

I'd vote in that one. 👍

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DavidP said:

So what are the results used for?

Pure entertainment

Frankly, just don't disable the existing built-in FSX ATC.

It's good enough, at least for VFR, until you figure out what improvements you can come up in years to come. If at all.

Remember even Microsoft early devs didn't have the stomach to re-do it for FSX and kept the FS2004 ATC.

It required 10 very motivated individuals to record something like 25000 airport names and other things, using very specialized and expensive equipment.

They also released an SDk for those brave enough to replace the existing voice sets. Nobody took the challenge.

And that's just the audio part.😄

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FS++ said:

They also released an SDk for those brave enough to replace the existing voice sets. Nobody took the challenge.

And that's just the audio part.😄

I still have the ATC Voices SDK on one of my old dev computers. Man talk about a snake pit! <shudder> :laugh:  EditVoicePack however using the accelerated speed option makes ATC much more believable.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't bother me if ATC is not available upon release, but I would love to see AI aircraft for the real world traffic (like you see on FlightRadar24 etc), helps make airports and the skies feel alive.

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

It doesn't bother me if ATC is not available upon release, but I would love to see AI aircraft for the real world traffic (like you see on FlightRadar24 etc), helps make airports and the skies feel alive.

The SDK allowing someone to integrate FlightRadar24 data (perhaps it would have to be a paid FR24 subscriber thing) tied together with AC models for the traffic would be awesome..