Sign in to follow this  
Kermit_70

Persistent Aircraft Status

Interesting question. I didn't hear anything about that. Having perisstent wear and tear means a maintenance hangar too. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Could be done like in FSPax where it keeps track of the aircraft if you've encountered damage, failures etc.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

54 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Could be done like in FSPax where it keeps track of the aircraft if you've encountered damage, failures etc.

But for visible wear and tear, as well as build in damage, some support in the sim itself might be needed. A built-in history of wear and tear for each aircraft, which affects reliability, could be part of a career mode that helps develop proper (virtual) flying skills.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, orchestra_nl said:

But for visible wear and tear, as well as build in damage, some support in the sim itself might be needed. A built-in history of wear and tear for each aircraft, which affects reliability, could be part of a career mode that helps develop proper (virtual) flying skills.

Well I know of "lesser" (with that I mean less resourceful) games that had vehicles showing visual signs of age (dirt, wear/tear, etc...). I guess there isn't much tricks needed to do the same. Now that I mention it....GTA also comes to mind here. Although I'd be much more interested in the flying characteristics of a more or less used aircraft. I mean each individual 747 (or whatever type) has its own personality. 

Optional please. 

My desire to “maintain” a virtual airplane is less than zero. 

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, irrics said:

Optional please. 

My desire to “maintain” a virtual little airplane is less than zero. 

Do you recall Aerofoft's marvelous little DA20 Katana? That had 'real' maintenance  built in. You had to sit around and wait for 20 minutes while 'they' replaced the flaps etc. That novelty wore off PDQ! Breaking things through misuse is one thing, having to book a service/repair is another.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

2 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Do you recall Aerofoft's marvelous little DA20 Katana? That had 'real' maintenance  built in. You had to sit around and wait for 20 minutes while 'they' replaced the flaps etc. That novelty wore off PDQ! Breaking things through misuse is one thing, having to book a service/repair is another.

Lmao. I don’t remember that one specifically but yes that sounds completely torturous.

I’m more than happy to have people spend all their free time maintaining their virtual plane if they want to, but please just make that sort of stuff optional. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, but FSX saved your location in a flight right? Was the issue that the engines were off when you restarted the flight?

Edited by carbonbasedlifeform
typo

I hope there is an option in there that lets your planes ‘live’. I reckon we’re a long way away from them talking about that sort of detail though. 

This thread made me go to Aerosoft and re-download the Katana. Installed it into a fake FSX, transferred it to P3Dv4.5 and it works an absolute treat! So thanks to Kermit and irrics. An 'Up' to each of you. :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:23 PM, irrics said:

Optional please. 

My desire to “maintain” a virtual airplane is less than zero. 

Ditto!!!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

While I fully appreciate that not everyone wants to 'maintain' their aircraft, for me this brings a huge amount of value to the simulator. Not so much the maintenance (which is more complex to model) but the persistence of the aircraft state.

When I get in my car, everything is as I last left it. If the radio was playing, it will start when I turn on the ignition. If the tank was almost empty, it'll be empty when I get back in it. I want the same of my aircraft. Else, in a way, half the checklists are redundant because the cockpit state is always the same whenever the aircraft is loaded. From a procedural point of view all the items should be checked, but when I am already 100% sure that everything is set according to the default state, it feels pointless and I want to skip those checks. Real life is not 100% predictable, neither should the sim be (unless the user chooses so).

If you want to imagine that you're flying a club's aircraft, or you're in an airliner, the switch status could even be randomised on occasion to keep you on your toes, if the previous pilot didn't complete their last-flight-of-the-day checks (optionally, of course).

I would love to see in order of priority:

1. optional aircraft persistence (switch state, fuel level, passenger/load weight)
  2. optional dirt build-up or paint wear (as another texture layer that appears over time - similar to the one implemented in Cliffs of Dover and Elite Dangerous)
  3. optional maintenance state (oil, wear & tear, random deterioration/failures)

I very much doubt to see numbers 3 on the list implemented by anybody but third party developers, but 1 & 2 could be achievable by Microsoft for their future roadmap.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Mustang-242 said:

but when I am already 100% sure that everything is set according to the default state, it feels pointless and I want to skip those checks. Real life is not 100% predictable, neither should the sim be

+1000

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------