Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

A suggestion : create a subforum for VR ?

The Microsoft Simulator forums section has about 10  specialized subforums dedicated to various topics of interest like shared cockpits, aircraft panel design etc.. We see that there are some passionate people about VR here. Isn't the time to create another subforum for VR within the MS forums where people interested would  discuss their favorite topic so the FS20 forum stays focused on the new sim ?

Just a suggestion ...

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Let's have a poll on it! I'll let Reddit know.

/ducks for cover.

Joking aside I think this could be a good idea. When MSFS is released (assuming with VR) there will be a lot of VR specific posts.

• Like 2

Just now, nickhod said:

Let's have a poll on it! I'll let Reddit know.

/ducks for cover.

Joking aside I think this could be a good idea. When MSFS is released (assuming with VR) there will be a lot of VR specific posts.

😃 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The thought is to transfer all VR talk, regardless of flightsim, into the VR forum that already exists.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I don't agree. It's kind of segregation that will cut off communication between VR people and non VR people.

Recently we see a lot of enlightening discussion between different groups. Some might not be very constructive, but it's common on the net, and no big deal. Segregation might look peaceful in a short run, but ultimately stagnant in the long run.

If it's not for the recent debate, many people still hold the negative impression of VR of the first generation. Sweviver just published through lens video comparion of Pimax 8KX and Reverb, and the difference is quite remarkable. VR headsets are constantly evolving, and they have crossed a critical threshold.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry double posting

Edited by domkle

Dominique

22 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

This forum is not a forum about enlightening the simmers about VR my friend, but a forum about FS20 . Discussions about Pimax and Reverb, as interesting as they might be, are out of topic and deserve their own forum IMHO.

And who said that people like me, skeptic but curious, wouldn't go there ?

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

I take it talk about VR specifically relating to MSFS and it being implemented is still fine in this MSFS area, correct?

It's a curious choice to segregate out discussions of VR and MSFS.  It's particularly worrisome because we know that MS/Asobo have paid attention in places like this and seen the feedback and it's influenced their plans.

Is this an attempt to obfuscate talk about VR and make it seem like demand isn't really here for it?

DIscussions of VR in MSFS are appropriate here in the MSFS forum.  General discussion of the pros/cons of VR, VR hardware, the future of VR, polls asking if VR should be included in McDonald's hamburger-ordering kiosks, and other VR topics not related specifically to the new flight simulator belong in the already-established VR forum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

I don't agree. It's kind of segregation that will cut off communication between VR people and non VR people.

Nothing to stop VR people from posting in the main forum right?

23 minutes ago, w6kd said:

DIscussion of VR in MSFS are appropriate here in the MSFS forum.  General discussion of the pros/cons of VR, VR hardware, the future of VR, polls asking if VR should be included in McDonald's hamburger-ordering kiosks, and other VR topics not related specifically to the new flight simulator belong in the already-established VR forum.

Same for talk about full blown cockpits (that should go in Home Cockpit Builders, yeah)?

What about discussion of peripherals like yokes, panels, etc?  That also has a dedicated area on Avsim.

Add-on development has it's own area too.  Should 3rd party add-on talk, unless completely about MSFS aspects, be there also?

Sorry to be pedantic, but this just feels knee-jerk to move VR topics out of here all the sudden, especially in light of such a vocal group of "anti-VR" people here on Avsim.

It's hard to believe it's a coincidence that this is now a big moderation priority of note.  It honestly just feels like a further extension of some set of Avsim still being irritated that their priorities for the new Sim may not be slated above  VR support.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, irrics said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but this just feels knee-jerk to move VR topics out of here all the sudden, especially in light of such a vocal group of "anti-VR" people here on Avsim.

Be cool!  Nothing much will change as long as the discussion continues to focus on the new Sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

11 minutes ago, irrics said:

Same for talk about full blown cockpits (that should go in Home Cockpit Builders, yeah)?

What about discussion of peripherals like yokes, panels, etc?  That also has a dedicated area on Avsim.

Add-on development has it's own area too.  Should 3rd party add-on talk, unless completely about MSFS aspects, be there also?

It's hard to believe it's a coincidence that this is now a big moderation priority of note.  It honestly just feels like a further extension of some set of Avsim still being irritated that their priorities for the new Sim may not be slated above  VR support.

This is really about creating safe spaces and banishing others to it.

• Like 1

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

I propose creating a subforum on ATC, a subforum on AI, a subforum on seasons, a subforum on.....................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Why was this necessary?

There are what, like 20-ish+ topics on a given page?

2 of them relating to VR was causing a problem?