Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

No Subscription Required

This is the one area that hasn’t been that slick from a pr perspective in my opinion. The massive hint in that update that there would be “no subscription” was undermined by the answer they gave in the Q&A session, where it was more “no (we don’t want a) subscription (, but...”

No doubt maintenance of servers costs money. The point with subscriptions is them stacking up. There is not only the MFS scenery subscription, you MUST have a couple of them for Netflix and friends and Amazon Prime, and the Homebanking and Security Software have to be payed for annually. And of course you need Photoshop and Office 360 (+ expect Windows 360 to be added soon), and maybe there will be MFS weather and online traffic addons requiring a subscription, too (wouldn't this be convenient... you will be charged for all of them at the same time).

And at a point you notice subscriptions add up to more than your income. 

I have to confess I use a couple of subscriptions myself (including one for Real Traffic to be used with PSXSeecontraffic) but I try to minimize them wherever possible. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 minute ago, pmb said:

No doubt maintenance of servers costs money. The point with subscriptions is them stacking up. There is not only the MFS scenery subscription, you MUST have a couple of them for Netflix and friends and Amazon Prime, and the Homebanking and Security Software have to be payed for annually. And of course you need Photoshop and Office 360 (+ expect Windows 360 to be added soon), and maybe there will be MFS weather and online traffic addons requiring a subscription, too (wouldn't this be convenient... you will be charged for all of them at the same time).

And at a point you notice subscriptions add up to more than your income. 

I have to confess I use a couple of subscriptions myself (including one for Real Traffic to be used with PSXSeecontraffic) but I try to minimize them wherever possible. 

Kind regards, Michael

It's not just the servers... it's the staff, who plan to keep this thing alive and breathing, that will want their monthly salary. I know where you are going at here with subscriptions building up and all that, but isn't it hypocritical paying several subscriptions (even Flight Sim related like Navigraph or Real Traffic, etc... which actually in total give you less value in return) but going all "I dare you" on a potential subscription for their online services (the goodies like scenery at the highest level being updates regularly... software updates and hotfixes would still be free)??

• Like 2

I suspect MS will do whatever they need to in order to make it viable and attractive for them to pursue on an ongoing basis (good!)

They know that with how this product is shaping up, people will line up to pay for it however they need too.

Some noisy minority will always complain - I'd just ignore them if I were MS.

Edited by irrics

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Subscriptions are about keeping product development going, if you don't want development to continue, don't buy a subscription. 

You certainly know more on development than me, however, I dare to disagree on this general statement. MS Office has been actively developed over many years without a subscription. Actually, development started to become rather incrementally (which I would call the present state of development) around the time when MS launched the 360 subscription model.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I'm fine with content updates with paid DLC planes and scenery like the way they do Forza.

I'd pay for an exclusive limited time Concorde DLC package

A monthly subscription just access the sim?

No thanks

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being a 2-tier (or more) model at some point. You can buy the game outright, including the version kept on game pass, and get .x updates, or you can subscribe to a ‘pro‘ version and get all updates and new versions (and special tools and extra goodies) for as long as you subscribe. Adobe has been doing this for a while now and it seems to work well for them. 

A subscription option would be a terrible idea. Witness Adobe's latest fiasco of cutting cloud services to Venezuela "because of an Executive Order". Just do a search and find out all the gory details.

Food for thought.

• Upvote 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

5 hours ago, speedyTC said:

A subscription option would be a terrible idea. Witness Adobe's latest fiasco of cutting cloud services to Venezuela "because of an Executive Order". Just do a search and find out all the gory details.

Food for thought.

Yes also in case of a nuclear detonation, the nuclear electromagnetic pulse would kill the access to servers

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Dunno what the issue is..

Playstation has a monthly subscription of $9.99 with quarterly & annual discounts!

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Speculation is like sex! Fun at the time, but, always leaves you wondering what all the fuss was about.😜

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

15 hours ago, domkle said:

Yes also in case of a nuclear detonation, the nuclear electromagnetic pulse would kill the access to servers

Sarcasm has no place here. Wouldn't you prefer to own the software? As you can see from my signature I'm still on FSX. Had that been a sub service my access to it would be long gone.

But, to humour you..."hahah, so funny".

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, speedyTC said:

Sarcasm has no place here. Wouldn't you prefer to own the software?

No one ever "owns" software; they simply pay for a license to use it.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

No one ever "owns" software; they simply pay for a license to use it.

Yup, developers have been trying to sell the public on that concept for years, and I never thought anyone brought it.

Didn't they actively make that nonsense illegal in Europe? (First sale doctrine)

I haven't looked into it in a long while, but pretty much thought the concept was so full of legal holes most of the time as to be nearly worthless.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 10/10/2019 at 7:15 PM, Flamingpie said:

Of course there are. For instance: paying to download a certain region of the high quality stuff and then being able to use it 'forever' without a monthly fee. Just to name one option. I personally think it would be a mistake to limit the real awesome stuff to subscribers.

Like the way navdata providers do for online flying? Or the way Xbox and PSN do for online services? Etc.. Etc..