Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

No Subscription Required

I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being a 2-tier (or more) model at some point. You can buy the game outright, including the version kept on game pass, and get .x updates, or you can subscribe to a ‘pro‘ version and get all updates and new versions (and special tools and extra goodies) for as long as you subscribe. Adobe has been doing this for a while now and it seems to work well for them. 

A subscription option would be a terrible idea. Witness Adobe's latest fiasco of cutting cloud services to Venezuela "because of an Executive Order". Just do a search and find out all the gory details.

Food for thought.

• Upvote 1

P8Z77-V PRO | i5 3570K @4.2GHz | 8GB DDR3 | EVGA GTX670 2GB | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO |2TB Seagate | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 7 PRO 64 | yup, still on FSX |

Tony K.

5 hours ago, speedyTC said:

A subscription option would be a terrible idea. Witness Adobe's latest fiasco of cutting cloud services to Venezuela "because of an Executive Order". Just do a search and find out all the gory details.

Food for thought.

Yes also in case of a nuclear detonation, the nuclear electromagnetic pulse would kill the access to servers

Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - My YouTube Channel

Dunno what the issue is..

Playstation has a monthly subscription of $9.99 with quarterly & annual discounts!

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Speculation is like sex! Fun at the time, but, always leaves you wondering what all the fuss was about.😜

• Upvote 1

ProATC X (PATCX)  Official Beta Tester

Aerosoft (AS) Official Beta Tester

Mike Collins

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 16 gig ram, NVidia 1060 6 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, Crucial MX500 SSD

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

15 hours ago, domkle said:

Yes also in case of a nuclear detonation, the nuclear electromagnetic pulse would kill the access to servers

Sarcasm has no place here. Wouldn't you prefer to own the software? As you can see from my signature I'm still on FSX. Had that been a sub service my access to it would be long gone.

But, to humour you..."hahah, so funny".

P8Z77-V PRO | i5 3570K @4.2GHz | 8GB DDR3 | EVGA GTX670 2GB | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO |2TB Seagate | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 7 PRO 64 | yup, still on FSX |

Tony K.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, speedyTC said:

Sarcasm has no place here. Wouldn't you prefer to own the software?

No one ever "owns" software; they simply pay for a license to use it.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Many Thanks to All That Donated To Our Server Drive!

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

Yup, developers have been trying to sell the public on that concept for years, and I never thought anyone brought it.

Didn't they actively make that nonsense illegal in Europe? (First sale doctrine)

I haven't looked into it in a long while, but pretty much thought the concept was so full of legal holes most of the time as to be nearly worthless.

Orbx Beta Tester
Just Flight Beta Tester

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

On 10/10/2019 at 7:15 PM, Flamingpie said:

Of course there are. For instance: paying to download a certain region of the high quality stuff and then being able to use it 'forever' without a monthly fee. Just to name one option. I personally think it would be a mistake to limit the real awesome stuff to subscribers.

Like the way navdata providers do for online flying? Or the way Xbox and PSN do for online services? Etc.. Etc.. 

Amadeo Araujo

The only issue is, for me,  the cost/advantage ratio. Lets see :

- First, my profile as a simmer : I love to fly  everywhere in the world, mostly with GA and WB but seriouly considering getting into a medium haul airliner type of flying too. 

- 4.99 USD/EUR a month is, after a year, 60 bucks, the cost of a new game

- For this annual sub price,  I can buy, these days, about three sceneries during the sales with a big caveat though. I am not sure that there is any scenery I want. Case in point : Orbx has almost ceased to make regions that I am interested in or having the 8th version of a megahub is really not in my priorities. I am an airfield guy more than a big airport guy, if you see what I mean.  So the sub gives me more choices. But, I doubt that MS will offer everything I want, these small strips in the boondocks for instance, so I may have to buy DLC/addons anyway but fewer.

Not an awfully bad deal, more choices for a reasonable price.

Now, lets imagine 9.99 a month or, horresco referens, 14.99. 120/dollars is really an upper limit as I don’t buy that much (talking about sceneries only),  the deal becomes problematic. 180 USD year after year  ? Maybe not .

As they say YMMV. What I mean, is that the sub is an economic problem not a philosophical one. 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - My YouTube Channel

6 hours ago, n4gix said:

That will be more relevant in the future with the sale of goods act, a product like game is like a car you buy it and you can do what you like with it, sell or give away. This is why steam are fighting a possible court case with the EU, this will force Dev`s to possibly lease access on subscription you never own the product, aka office 365.

PS small print terms my have no legal standing and my be challenged.

Edited by rjfry

i7 7700K 4.8 \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 960 EVO \ 1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 3000MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ P3Dv4.5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I'm going to guess that it will be subscription based if you want to access Azure data and of course the beauty of the sim is related to that. I have no problem with that. It seems we have no problem with subscriptions related to various addons such as Navigraph but the reluctance to pay for what I expect to be a dynamic data set on Azure is not understandable. One can imagine a constant tinkering with this huge data set with respect to adding buildings in cities when they are built in real life, maybe a forest fire occuring in realtime which could be dynamically placed in Azure data etc. That takes money and time but it starts to bring our sim into the 21st century as something which isn't frozen in time but reflects real life.

2 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

It seems we have no problem with subscriptions related to various addons such as Navigraph but the reluctance to pay for what I expect to be a dynamic data set on Azure is not understandable.

I doubt if 'we' have no problem with subscriptions related to various addons. Might do a poll about it. 😉 I have NO subscriptions at ALL and never had one in all my decades of flying. I don't like subscriptions. Having said that, if the only way to use MSFS is a subscription I will subscribe because this actually is worth it. For me stuff like Navigraph isn't. (I usually use one set of downloaded Navigraph data for a few years.)

2 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

One can imagine a constant tinkering with this huge data set with respect to adding buildings in cities when they are built in real life, maybe a forest fire occuring in realtime which could be dynamically placed in Azure data etc. That takes money and time

It does take time and money but take note it already took money and time before anyone thought about using all that data for a flight sim. So in theory and maybe in practice MSFS can use all that data for free. They have been working on photogrammetry cities for a long time already and would have proceeded working on it even if there never had been talk about MSFS.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:50 AM, Flamingpie said:

Because subscriptions cost more

How much more?

I pay $7.57 monthly subscription for MS Office 365 which gives me access to all the apps the I use (Home PC, Laptop and phone) and are always up to date and that includes 1TB of space with OneDrive, that is 90.84/year, its about the cost of a dinner with the wife in a nice restaurant.

I highly doubt MS will deviate far from their current subscription model which has serve them well, this model has reduce if not eliminated piracy.

Edited by CarlosF

Carlos Franklin

Sims: XPlane

Asus Sabertooth z77 - i7 3770k @ 4.6 HT WC - 32gb Corsair @ 2133 (XMP) - Asus GTX 1070 - 250 Evo Pro SSD for Win10 Pro - 500 Evo Pro SSD for XP11

22 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

How much more?

Well, if I could buy MSFS for 60 and use it for 4 years, it would have cost me 60 in total while you would have paid 363,36 in total so that's 303,36 more in 4 years. I can buy a LOT of interesting add ons for 303,36. I could have bought a new copy of MSFS every year and still I would have saved 123.36 compared to you. That's a VERY nice dinner with the wife in a nice restaurant on top of MSFS. Of course I know subscription have advantages but if I can save some money to spend it on something else I'd like to save it. 😉

Edited by Flamingpie