Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

October 10th - Insider Update

Personally, this confirms the continued role of scenery developers at the regional level (and city level of course). Outside aerial cities, specific autogen will be needed. I don't think Azure has the ability to identify the types of trees or roads, 3D building autogen, in every region. OrbX would create all these things.

Of course that doesn't mean the default is bad.

Edited by carbonbasedlifeform
Default comment

1 minute ago, Shug said:

On the Development Roadmap for November, they've stated that an update is coming in September. It's now nearly mid October. Why haven't they kept their promise? They have failed to deliver in this instance. 

They've been very busy lately, between handling the Global Preview event, creating the Feature Discovery series and preparing the Tech Alpha, so it's understandable I think. Next week we will be getting a preview for November and December.

The looks good in full screen.

One thing struck me offline mode if you have no internet connection how do you get it without an internet connection.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Seeing the pictures of the offline mode should put some minds at ease. 

It looks like they have all the same building and tree data but can place those over generic textures with the same precision to still give a next-gen experience. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 1

Ok...at this point MS is going to have to start putting up money for my medical bills. My jaw is really sore from hitting the floor so many times.

• Like 12

Chris

7 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Personally, this confirms the continued role of scenery developers at the regional level (and city level of course). Outside aerial cities, specific autogen will be needed. I don't think Azure has the ability to identify the types of trees or roads, 3D building autogen, in every region. OrbX would create all these things.

Of course that doesn't mean the default is bad.

I don't get that impression at all. If anything, it sounds like the Azure AI can identify those things all over the world with no need to go back and hand annotate certain types of autopen. The AI doesn't have a bias depending on whether it's a more popular part of the world or not. It reads them all just the same. 

What it probably can't do is create perfect renditions of landmarks outside of photogrammetry regions. No doubt they will hand place a lot of those, but some room may be left for developers. Given this level of detail in so much of the world though, it's going to be a tough market to break into. I know for me personally, I'm probably not going to spend money on "regions" or whatever when there are 400+ photogrammetry cities and thousands of other areas with landmarks to play in (with the list growing daily as Bing data improves). 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 4

I am left  utterly speechless after watching that !

Congratulations to Asobo &Microsoft , its simply incredible.

• Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

9 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

I wouldn't think so. Orbx relies on good data to build their regions and wherever this good data exists, I'm pretty sure Microsoft will have it and use it on the default scenery. 

As I said in another topic, where Orbx could improve the sceneries would be with handmade/custom objects to populate the scenery, which is something apparently the MSFS guys wouldn't spend too much time on (they are focusing in other stuff and relying on the data + A.I. to deal with the default scenery).

Look Paris or Seattle (seattle on offline mode, the photogrammetry Seattle can't be matched even with some handmade work) as examples, how orbx could do a better job than what they showed (besides custom objects for landmarks/POIs/etc)? 

I think the way to go will be airports + ultra reallistic surroundings with a lot of custom objects to add to the immersion.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 3

The water around the Statue of Liberty looks fantastic (1:25 in the video)

Edited by irrics

I am glad with got to see new footage. And also more exotic places like PNG, which still looks quite impressive. Only thing I was hoping for and am still looking forward to is some more night shots, and perhaps some ground level footage of larger airports. Although I must say KSFO for default looked quite impressive (still some work to be done on the taxiways though)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bonchie said:

I don't get that impression at all. If anything, it sounds like the Azure AI can identify those things all over the world with no need to go back and hand annotate certain types of autopen. The AI doesn't have a bias depending on whether it's a more popular part of the world or not. It reads them all just the same. 

What it probably can't do is create perfect renditions of landmarks outside of photogrammetry regions. No doubt they will hand place a lot of those, but some room may be left for developers. Given this level of detail in so much of the world though, it's going to be a tough market to break into. I know for me personally, I'm probably not going to spend money on "regions" or whatever when there are 400+ photogrammetry cities and thousands of other areas with landmarks to play in (with the list growing daily as Bing data improves). 

Agreed, like I said above, Orbx or any other dev can't compete with that level of default scenery if they try to develop regions or even large cities. If there's data available to Orbx, the same data is available for Microsoft and they use on the default scenery. I really doubt Orbx has a better automatic tool to populate the world than the Azure A.I. 

Look London as an Example, the default MSFS London already matches the True Earth version in the level of the detail in general, where Orbx could improve would be adding a lot of landmarks and important buildings missing on the default scenery.

• Like 4

Just now, ca_metal said:

As I said in another topic, where Orbx could improve the sceneries would be with handmade/custom objects to populate the scenery, which is something apparently the MSFS guys wouldn't spend too much time on (they are focusing in other stuff and relying on the data + A.I. to deal with the default scenery).

Look Paris or Seattle (seattle on offline mode, the photogrammetry Seattle can't be matched even with some handmade work) as examples, how orbx could do a better job than what they showed (besides custom objects for landmarks/POIs/etc)? 

I think the way to go will be airports + ultra reallistic surroundings with a lot of custom objects to add to the immersion.

The handmade/custom objects is what I'm getting at. I like low GA flying so I notice that stuff.

I believe Seattle is an aerial city or at least one of the cities that gets more attention. I don't think the other cities have autogen (not placement but specifics) that matches. Someone mentioned that the Brazilian flyover wasn't that great) relative to OrbX.

really something amazing!  I can't wait for the ability to actually fly and navigate with a sectional chart!