Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

October 10th - Insider Update

6 minutes ago, charleslee201 said:

VFR VFR VFR ...  what about IFR , SID , STAR , ILS ,  and  ATC ,  .... 

My take is these (or part of them) will be shown in a later event together with the airliners. Consider, they will have to entertain us for a full year.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 5

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

25 minutes ago, charleslee201 said:

VFR VFR VFR ...  what about IFR , SID , STAR , ILS ,  and  ATC ,  .... 

I figure at least some of this (VORs, ILS, anything already in FSX) should basically be taken as a given. SID and STAR support would be nice, but it wouldn't be anything groundbreaking. I'm also not sure how the licensing on that would work. Anyways, the Microsoft team wants to show us groundbreaking stuff that will make us excited and these visuals are perfect for that role.

I think my head would explode if they could use Azure to have proper voice recognition in a well programmed ATC system.

Daniel Miller

59 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I'm not sure where you're getting your figures from but you don't need anywhere near that bandwidth to stream 4k. Netflix recommends at least 25Mbps and Amazon recommends at least 15Mbps for 4k streaming. For gaming at 4k/60Hz with HDR on Stadia, Google's recommends a minimum of 35Mbps (and that's streaming the entire game continuously over the connection). As MSFS will be running on your PC and just streaming data (scenery) as required, you'll probably get away with a lower bandwidth. The amount of data is likely to be a bigger problem if your ISP imposes a data cap.

When Foxtel first brought out 4K TV - 6 months ago - (on one channel only) - via a new IQ 4 Box - that is connected to the satellite dish on my roof - they told us then it would a satellite dish to stream 4k  HDR 10 TV - and that it would be 2022 before thy can offer broadband to the public that would guarantee 4k streaming - and that would also be by satellite dish. ( I am speaking of Australian TV)

What I think you are referring to is what they are all calling Ultra HD - which is not 20x of HD (1080) - as is the pixel content of 4K - but an upscaled version of HD to 4k measurements and not the true RGB pixels of Genuine 4K.

In mobile phone photography that  most are familiar with these days - we use .JPG photos to send around to our friends - but they are a poor version - 2 or 3MBs - of quality - than the equivalent of around 20+ MBs - as .BMPs. - that a true (eg Canon) digital camera uses - hence the difference in MBs from .jpg to .bmp.. ( don't confuse megabytes with Mega pixels -Mps of your mobile camera)

To make a .jpg better in terms of resolution - we can upscale the number of pixels - using software by say 5% per enlargement. This "stretches" each pixel - without further RPG information. If youre mobile camera was able to take .BMPs - for you to use on facebook etc - your telco would be laughing all the way to the bank with data you will use. (To add to this - a genuine HDR frame /Photo is obtained by placing 3 digital photos together and blending into a much larger MBs pic and video is around 24fps)

Similarly - Companies like Netflix - and Amazon are doing just that - They might film in 4k (digital.bmp eg) - but to be able to transmit a so called Quality picture called 4K  Ultra  - they are using the original 4k - if that was actually filmed in - (BMP eg) - downscaled to 1/4 size - (JPG eg) - and rescaling back up again without the original quality and therefore reduce the bandwith necessary sooner or later - unless bandwidth can be guaranteed to cope with around a need for constant 400Mbs - we accept what we have - and think we are getting streamed $4K Ultra TV - on our 4K ultra TV set.

Foxtel themselves are also using the term Ultra HD to promote additional channels - even to mixing cameras in sporting broadcasts - and they have also brought in a deal with Netflix to use Foxtel's IQ 4 boxes.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/support/products-and-features/4k-ultra-hd-and-compatibility.html

This may help - to see this - especially the last questions answer - which as I said before - we will have to wait until all of us get the 500Mbs/1 Gbs broadband banded around by others in this thread - to get genuine 4K

Lose not the sight that 8K TV is already with us - using upgraded real 4K transmissions like I get via satellite dish !!!

Sorry about the long winded explanation - in a thread on MS2020 - but it is important to understand the difference in the terminologies - and to understand that MS will not need GBs of broadband to use the cloud - and may even be planning to use upgraded "4K"eg - to give us what will make us happy at a low Broadband like Amazon recommend in your question/statement

Lets face it - look at the reaction to what we have seen in the last 2 weeks at whatever broadband we stream at the moment. It wasn't half bad was it?

I'm also interested to see how well the Azure AI will be able to remove the static cars that can be seen on roads and highways. I personally think that this is one of the easier things to do for the AI.

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

1 hour ago, pmb said:

My take is these (or part of them) will be shown in a later event together with the airliners. Consider, they will have to entertain us for a full year.

Kind regards, Michael

I hope that in EP#4  Cockpits they will tell us about that ! I am less interested by the PBR shine of TBM 940 leather seats than by its G1000 navigation functionalities . Go figure ! 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

57 minutes ago, dm123 said:

I figure at least some of this (VORs, ILS, anything already in FSX) should basically be taken as a given. SID and STAR support would be nice, but it wouldn't be anything groundbreaking. I'm also not sure how the licensing on that would work. Anyways, the Microsoft team wants to show us groundbreaking stuff that will make us excited and these visuals are perfect for that role.

I think my head would explode if they could use Azure to have proper voice recognition in a well programmed ATC system.

SIDs and STARs are already confirmed. Various approach types are a given. You don't have the former without the latter. 

• Like 1

Isn't the Feature discovery series supposed to be insider content? It is posted on Youtube. I thought there's an NDA.

9600K | RTX2060 | 16GB | 970Evo Plus m.2

16 hours ago, irrics said:

Also, how do I get it if I don't have a computer?

/s

Xbox

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

16 hours ago, dtrjones said:

I'm sure there'll be a distribution model which will support physical disks. 

Your FedEx guy is going to hate you when he drops off your package containing 2000 BD-ROMs.

Edited by RoboRay

If there are ever airliners (IFR and so on...), I hope that fluidity and fps will be there when you fly in this superb environment at 250kt under 10000... I wonder if it's the fact that we're not seeing airliners (I'm not talking about the only plane on ground seen in the very first teaser) or fighter planes right now.....
This will not prevent me from flying in Vfr in this simu but preferably with an A2A aircraft (Bonanza or other). But Ifr and airliners... to see!

Richard

• Upvote 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

2 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

What I think you are referring to is what they are all calling Ultra HD - which is not 20x of HD (1080) - as is the pixel content of 4K - but an upscaled version of HD to 4k measurements and not the true RGB pixels of Genuine 4K.

I don't know enough about 4k to discuss the technicalities, but this is from an article on 4k.com (who I'd expect to know):

Thus, for ideal 4K streaming connectivity that delivers consistently smooth native ultra HD picture quality, we ourselves would suggest getting an ISP package which offers at least 50Mps for some genuine reliability.

http://4k.com/buying-a-new-4k-hdr-tv-how-much-bandwidth-do-you-need-22646-2/

Am I misunderstanding what they mean by "native"? Are you also saying that Stadia’s much-touted 4k gaming service is just upscaled HD? If so, why does it need more bandwidth than their HD service?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Have anyone noticed the AI aircrafts in KSFO photo? They had the same livery and i guess that was some imaginary airline like Pacific and Orbit in previous versions. It seems that we still need some 3rd party to work on real AI traffic.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bonchie said:

I’m a commercial pilot and I’m very skeptical that’s enough of a thing to be a priority. Maybe for bush pilots, but I’ve never seen someone dive to the deck to try to perceive tree movement at an untowered field.

But we weren’t talking about trees anyway. We are talking about grass moving. That’s a much different thing and challenge.

I've worked with helicopter pilots IRL and it's very common to check wind direction in an off-airport landing by looking at trees blowing in the wind. Helicopters like to land facing into the wind for best control and no surprises. There are no windsocks or METARS for the types of open areas and fields that helicopters often land in. Newly-mown grass won't show wind direction, but there are tall grasses and agricultural crops in many areas that could serve the purpose. 

BTW, I don't think this is an essential feature, just something it would be cool to see in the sim.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU