Sign in to follow this  
Guest Darren Howie

Gear problem with Airbus not an isolated incident

The problem that vexed the JetBlue crew was not unique, at least not among Airbus aircraft..."The problems with JetBlue Flight 292 marked at least the seventh time that the front landing gear of an Airbus jet has locked at a 90-degree angle, forcing pilots to land commercial airliners under emergency conditions, according to federal records."Read the whole thing here: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-je...-home-headlinesbt

Guest beana51

Yes noted, its a matter of time until the next one. Hopefully its not in an cat3 situation.The pilots ,all deserve all our congratulations.But even the best Airbus crew like in Toronto,in weather,can have problems.Mr.Howard Plagens,,says this is common?He is a safety investigator? Is it common for our wheels on our cars to falloff?,Is it common for raiIcars to get derailed? We hope this gets resolved quickly,with France, leading the way and adhering to our safety standard's,Don't need any more Air Busts. VIN

Sadly there are several derailments every year, for a number of trains that's smaller than the number of A320s, so yes it's common.That doesn't make it excusable of course.I somehow doubt the French will be forthcoming in fixing it, they'll just blame it on poor maintenance or something.

Guest beana51

Hi,Of course your correct ,more so with the Mfg. or the French being"forthcoming in fixing it" I don't think Jet Blue can afford its airbus fleet being grounded and enduring negative publicity regarding its flag ships...I fly them often and feel absolutely secure with them.....BUT! Cheers VIN

I wonder what structural damage resulted in the aircraft because of the increased stresses from landing like this...

Probably not any. The touchdown nosewheel was soft and normal. The only problem may be excessive vibration at the nosewheel mount, but it sounds like there wasn't any real vibration from passenger accounts. That plane will probably be up and flying soon. Bear in mind that this is exactly what it was designed to do. The conventional design of powered nosewheel steering mechanisms have their failure mode fail the wheel into a full deflection position. This is so that if the system fails, it will not be a random result, potentially causing a surprising directional control problem upon landing, but rather a known result, a full deflection, that allows the gear to grind the rim away straight ahead upon landing. When B1900Mech 'guessed' that the rims will just grind away, I don't think it was actually a guess, but rather just knowledge of design convention and history.

Hi Kevin...I concur. In security we call this a "fail closed" system. Big bank vaults with electric locks work that way too; i.e. fail to a known state (closed).Thanks for your consise and educational explanation.bt

These pictures and the others you posted are both sobering and exciting!Thanks Jim.bt

Guest Darren Howie

Its not just Airbus with this problem.The illustrious 747 has been seen on numerous occasions landing with nosewheel alignment problems resulting in severe tyre damage.I was at the holding point at Sydney last year when a UPS one had the nosewheel go out of alignment on landing.Out came the fire team but the aircraft was taxiable after landing.Heres a shot of one that quickly comes to mind.http://www.airliners.net/open.file/021016/L/Darren