Sign in to follow this  
MartinH

What could 3rd parties bring in the future?

Another speculative thread I'm afraid folks, but (given Microsoft's apparently solid approach to generating scenery) I was wondering what people may think about the possibility of developers shifting from making airports and scenery to something like events at those locations. Imagine if there was a product that modeled, for example, populating Oshkosh when that's taking place; so you could fly in and see some AI acrobatics going on - or even community events or competitions.

Essentially, I'm thinking of items that could compliment rather than replace what's in the sim.

Don't discard too quickly the need for sceneries.

I will take as an example one of my all-time favorite addons: the set of two Papua New Guinea sceneries from Orbx. I don't see the new sim bringing me the jungle sloped mud strips and the quaint huts of the highlands. And I want them 😊. More than that I wish to have the same in Borneo, Sulawesi or the Amazon basin. A niche market very well adapted to 3rd parties.

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

From what I've seen so far I think MSFS add-ons will fall into in the following categories:

- Aircraft: Obviously there will be a limited number of aircraft on launch.

- Smaller Airports: I would guess that they have a team making a good job of all major international airports, but they simply can't do a super detailed job of every single regional airport.

- POI Packs: Even if they nail all the autogen in a more "far flung" region, they probably wont have spent time modelling every office block, church, civic building, monument as it is in real life. There's scope to improve on that.

- Utilities: ATC, VATSIM etc etc.

36 minutes ago, nickhod said:

- POI Packs: Even if they nail all the autogen in a more "far flung" region, they probably wont have spent time modelling every office block, church, civic building, monument as it is in real life. There's scope to improve on that.

Yes, packs or repository of individual models like  the Sketchup 3D Warehouse

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Airports and aircraft are a given. SFO looks great in the most recent video but it's not Flightbeam quality.  There is probably zero need for any ORBX type of scenery such as TrueEarth/Vector/LC, etc.  Sure, there will be areas that need improvement but I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for these areas as I think MS may have things covered good enough for most. I also see zero need for texture replacements such as clouds, runways, skies, night lights, water etc. Not knowing what AI traffic will be like (if it is included) it's hard to say what would be needed there. The AI at SFO did look pretty generic and I think they were all the same model aircraft.  Weather?  Assuming HiFi isn't already involved somehow it won't be needed. We may want a better camera system such as Chaseplane/EZdok and of course utilities such as Navigraph Charts, etc. I can for sure say that I will be a big purchaser of any high quality aircraft and airports in MSFS.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

50 minutes ago, nickhod said:

From what I've seen so far I think MSFS add-ons will fall into in the following categories:

- Smaller Airports: I would guess that they have a team making a good job of all major international airports, but they simply can't do a super detailed job of every single regional airport.

Add all the larger airports as well. There is just no way they can get all major and important airport all around the globe, it's just too much. I am confident they will provide all the airports in high definition and a visual appeal never seen before, not to mention the correct runway and surrounding terrain coloring, and probably a very accurate airport layout. These will be default airports that will for sure be usable, unlike anything FSX/P3D has to offer.

If you want the real deal though, you will need your FlyTampa's, Flightbeam's, etc...! Although I see a lot of workload being taken, so we might very well see airports being produced quicker. Not to mention they will only need to focus on the airport itself and not the surroundings as well. Interiors will also be something many airports developers will look into. There will always be imperfections and that extra detail for airports developers to work on.

And aircraft of course will always be a 3rd party market that won't die off.

Edited by OSJJ1985

If the major airports like EDDF, EHAM, EGLL, (EKCH) looks as good as KSFO (yes it needs taxiway markings etc) in the video, I will be more than pleased and won't need to buy them as addons later.

• Like 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

I think Orbx will breathe with relief, knowing there is still a part of their business they can rely on: making small airports because I would expect Asobo to produce any major airport in the future.

Aircraft, and lots of them. 

So many wonderful aircraft still to this day have never been offered.

Since scenery is covered by the new sim, many non aircraft developers would be wise to diversify and expand into 3d aircraft modelling if they want to stay in the game.

Along with the aircraft- Variety of Avionics.

Imaging be able to buy a Piper Cheyenne LS400 or Cessna 414 and outfitting the panel with the exact avionics package you desire.

Aircraft and avionics is where the money is going to be for developers in the new sim.

Edited by skully

The atmospherics don't even look to support texture swaps or 3rd party weather implementation anymore. It's all so dynamic that I don't see an entry for 3rd parties there.

Airports, aircraft, and utility addons (AI, ATC) will be the main things. 

While I agree with some that MSFS won't cover every area perfectly, I think it will cover enough areas in such great detail that the market for "regional" or POI scenery will be sparse and perhaps not worth the investment for developers. Especially with the data being updated all the time. 

The truth is, 3rd party developers will have to innovate. They'll have to come up with ideas that weren't even possible in FSX. They can't just rehash what they've been doing and expect to succeed. 

I once read JV at Orbx talking years ago on his forums about wanting to one day be able to drive to the airport, interact at the FBO, load the plane, fly it, land, and do it all in reverse. 

That's the kind of next-gen, next level thinking that will have to take place. Things that were only dreams a few years ago may actually be achievable now and they may spread further than just in the cockpit. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bonchie said:

I once read JV at Orbx talking years ago on his forums about wanting to one day be able to drive to the airport, interact at the FBO, load the plane, fly it, land, and do it all in reverse. 

Yes I thought of that too. I even think I commented then on his post !

Dominique

Thanks for all the replies, however these are things already being produced by 3rd parties; I'm thinking of what new things they may be able to bring to the platform given the advancements in the underlying software.

Such as my example of seasonal airshows.

Edit: Example.

Edited by MartinH

7 hours ago, jlund said:

If the major airports like EDDF, EHAM, EGLL, (EKCH) looks as good as KSFO (yes it needs taxiway markings etc) in the video, I will be more than pleased and won't need to buy them as addons later.

48882158342_fe30a05e03_b_d.jpg

KSFO by FS2020 Pre-Alpha (top) and P3D Flight Beam. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

8 hours ago, nickhod said:

You can add Weather generator, (real) AI Plane model/livery ?

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio