Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Land ahoy! Two (FSX) sailing ships...

Today, in the FW Library, I happened to catch two interesting Full-Rigged Tallships. These two (sailing) ships belong to a collection of Global AI Ship Traffic package, and are customized to make them pilotable.

Ships are always fascinating! Throughout the history, they have been associated with a unique sense of adventure starting from the Age of Discovery (15th-17th century). Prior to the 19th century, trans-atlantic crossings were undertaken in sailing ships (of the types in this post). The speed of such ships in the 1700s depended on the wind, but averaged only about 5 to 10 knots. So, the journeys were time consuming and perilous - taking weeks. And, of course, with the advent of aviation, all this would change, in 1919, when Alcock and Brown accomplished the first transatlantic flight in just under 16 hours (at an average speed of 115 mph/100 knots) - in their (twin-engine) Vickers Vimy!

The Tallship Danmark (first 8 pictures) was launched in 1932. In 1939, she visited the United States to participate in the 1939 Worlds Fair in New York City. Due to the outbreak of World War II, the ship was ordered to remain in US waters, before she was finally returned to Denmark in 1945. It is capable of speed 9 knots (17 km/h). Danmark is in active service as of 2019.

The Tallship Sørlandet (next 8 pictures) was constructed on the south coast of Norway and launched in 1927. She sailed to Chicago to take part in the Worlds Fair in 1933. It was the first Norwegian training ship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. Sørlandet is the world's oldest and most authentic fully-rigged ship still in active service. It is capable of speeds up to 17 knots.

So, hope you enjoy the images, below, of these two sailing vessels - the pictures taken at various locations around the world. Thanks for viewing. [FW Ships(FlightSim.com)/REX]

izAWeN.png

4mNSn9.png

nyNNXC.png

emF5PJ.png

YooOit.png

LXnr7P.png

VZ7WE5.png

rnZ9h7.png

RavAjS.png

wx4l5q.png

KR6boT.png

uh23qP.png

55XxLi.png

KgPST9.png

MSCZLi.png

VUxLR5.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Superb modeling!

• Like 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Two very interesting ships, P_7878. This is one thing I miss in XP11: Hendrik Nielsen's Ai ships

12 hours ago, P_7878 said:

Sørlandet is the world's oldest and most authentic fully-rigged ship still in active service

Btw, this is not entirely correct, if I may say 😉. Both the Russian four-masted barques "Kruzenshtern" and "Sedov" are still today authentic and regularly roam the seven seas. The Kruzenshtern started life as the German sailship "Padua", launched in 1926 and the Sedov started life in 1921 as German sailship "Magdalene Vinnen". Both were surrendered to the Russians after WWII.

Edited by bernd1151
  • Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Dan, Clutch, Bernd: Much appreciated the valuable comments...always a pleasure to receive some comments...!

Clutch: I totally agree this is superb modelling (and that too FW)!

Bernd: Thanks! I'm sure you're correct...🙂...I need to learn more about these classic sail-ships (that were roaming the seas long before the steams-engines took effect...). Truly fascinating!

BTW, prompted here, I just finished reading the very interesting "Interview With Henrik Nielsen"....What remarkable passion for what they are doing...by his team (along with Erwin Welker et al.) - 250 unique models and over 540 different ships to fill the void of the desolate seas!

The write-up also contains many nuggets of learning and experience!

• Like 1

Amazing Shots!!

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick