Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Resolution : is 4K really necessary ?

Does't it matter what resolution my graphic card can send out to a 4K monitor/tv? 

I have an old Geforce 970, whch produce some very nice pictures on my 32" 2560x1440 Dell monitor, but will there be any advantage for me to get a 4K monitor / TV?

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Like the OP I run 1440p on a 27” monitor, all the research I did when buying that monitor indicated 4K wouldn’t be much of a difference at that size (and would require me to go up to a 1080 graphics card I stead of a 1070).

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

"From the start, we have all assumed that 4k was the only way to go for FS20.."

Have we all assumed this, at all?! ... generalised assumptions tbh OP.. I'm sure they are pushing hard for good frames at 4K seeing as this is pretty much becoming a standard in gaming, simming, whatever. But i certainly never assumed anything, and tbh assuming gets you into trouble by my experience...

Let the alpha roll out and we can see what's what, but i'm pretty sure it'll look great on a 4K monitor as well as looking good on a 1080p monitor.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:49 AM, domkle said:

From the start, we have all assumed that 4k was the only way to go for FS20. I’ve not made my mind though.

So do we need 4k or is it marketing hype ?

Odd question. I agree 1440p provides a terriffic flight experience on my 30" monitor, but rather than ask yourself is 4K necessary for YOU, you should ask; Can Microsoft afford to release the game without 4K support because that would be marketing destruction. Your car can probably break the speed limit on the road right but you don't need to go that fast, but how many poeple would buy that car if it could ONLY reach the speed limit and no more...

Edited by dtrjones

2 hours ago, jlund said:

Does't it matter what resolution my graphic card can send out to a 4K monitor/tv? 

I have an old Geforce 970, whch produce some very nice pictures on my 32" 2560x1440 Dell monitor, but will there be any advantage for me to get a 4K monitor / TV?

A Geforce GTX 970? Yes a 4K monitor will work with that, it will just allow you to view things in higher resolution (which means more pixels = more detail).  But it comes at the cost of using more VRAM on your GPU's memory and the extra processing meaning you get less FPS, so you may end up with a very laggy experience in some games at that resolution - I am sure MSFS2020 would be one of them.

But still, you'll be able to enjoy Netflix in glorious 4K 🙂 and you can always play games in a lower resolution on your 4K monitor.

Edited by KillerKlient

Are they meaning true 4K, or will it UHD 3840 x 2160 (16:9)? This is what I run at. :unsure:

"Resolution : is 4K really necessary ?"

Well since I have never played any game or sim in 4K, the answer for me is no.

I never made the mistake to try VR on a beast PC, because my PC is not able to run it, I would be disapointed every time if I did this.

So I would suggest you don t try 4k if you are not sure you will run it smoothly.

Edited by Noooch

Late to the party as usual. 😁

Speaking as someone who has had a 32" UHD monitor for 12 months I wouldn't say it's necessary but it does make a big difference to the clarity of instruments and gauges. Everything is pin sharp. When I visit a monthly flight sim meeting most have a 1920*1080 display and the loss of clarity is very obvious.

My 1080Ti is running around 55% GPU load so can hande what is being demanded of it. If you have a 1080Ti or better treat yourself to a UHD display and you'll never want to go back.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am running a “Samsung UN49KU6500 Curved 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart” as a monitor, and I like the display I get. Here is a SS as an example.

aD6EhAd.jpg

Edited by jpc55

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

My 1080Ti is running around 55% GPU load so can hande what is being demanded of it. If you have a 1080Ti or better treat yourself to a UHD display and you'll never want to go back.

What would I do with the 42" TV/Monitor hanging on the wall above my FS desk then? :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 minutes ago, n4gix said:

What would I do with the 42" TV/Monitor hanging on the wall above my FS desk then? :blink:

Connect it to a second PC and run a moving map on it. :wink: But in all seriousness you don’t say what its resolution is so I’ll make an educated guess it’s 1920*1080. I can’t imagine a cockpit is particularly crisp at that resolution although the immersion factor would be good.

For the same money you can probably get a 43” UHD Samsung which would be transformative.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

i went from 1080P to 3840x2160 4k and also made a big leap from 27" to 43".  The difference was massive.  no more zooming in just to read parts of the virtual cockpit.  Strangely enough, one of the big consideration considerations for me was a tv that could support 30hz.  Irnocally, the system struggled with P3D at 30hz, but runs like a champ with 60hz selected as the resolution.  I also leave unlimited/vsync on with the sim.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

31 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Connect it to a second PC and run a moving map on it. :wink: But in all seriousness you don’t say what its resolution is so I’ll make an educated guess it’s 1920*1080. I can’t imagine a cockpit is particularly crisp at that resolution although the immersion factor would be good.

For the same money you can probably get a 43” UHD Samsung which would be transformative.

Ray, I wish I had room in my tiny office to move the current one to my development desk, but I barely have room for my 27" wide-screen and a 17" 4:3 side monitor. If I did I'd get the 43" UHD Samsung in a heartbeat.

Oddly enough though I've been very pleased with my old 1920*1080 TV/HDMI Monitor. :smile:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 weeks ago I changed to XP11 - and tried many combinations of sliders with my I5 - 9600 @ 3.9 uc - 

1050TI to get some sort of picture - and I actually considered that my Monitor was to blame.

Monitor ??  - a 43" Hisense HDR10 TV running at 60herttz - but with the help of a couple of blokes on here -

yesterday I took my first flight in my arrow in TE Central with the buildings slider to the right - and No shadows.

On my TV monitor every thing was as clear as a bell - and I sit 24" from the screen at 90degrees - and Track IR

All buildings very clear - no flat googlemap areas - and the mountains in the Lakes District - very real

(The s.s. below is over Morcambe  - in Lancashire - untouched - easily - zoomed - and notice the clarity in the distance

A close look will see Blackpool Tower - and the pleasure beach - some 40 miles away to the South.)

Yes - My answer is 4k - and when my pocket allows it - since 8k TV is now out - it wont be long before that's my next monitor - 

just about ready for MS 2020 and all that lovely weather😎

---------------------------------------------

unfortunately - I don't seem to be able to show the ss pic since I don't have it on URL

Why cant we have the system of just inserting a picture as we can on Orbx??