Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Resolution : is 4K really necessary ?

At the severe risk of sounding like one of the resident VR (and also more recently TIR) evangelists I will just state that: "after moving from 1080p to 4k I can never go back!"

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

8 hours ago, n4gix said:

Ray, I wish I had room in my tiny office to move the current one to my development desk, but I barely have room for my 27" wide-screen and a 17" 4:3 side monitor. If I did I'd get the 43" UHD Samsung in a heartbeat.

Oddly enough though I've been very pleased with my old 1920*1080 TV/HDMI Monitor. :smile:

Fr. Bill, I had a Sony 32" 1920*1080 TV for a few years and initially the change from a 24" was wonderful. But at the NWFSG's monthly meeting I saw UHD for the first time and was bitten.

You don't list your hardware but if you have a 1080Ti it is wasted on FullHD. Only you can decide whether you're going to keep your TV. Maybe a family member would like it and you can then treat yourself. Have you seen any posts from people saying they regretted the change to UHD? I haven't.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You don't list your hardware but if you have a 1080Ti it is wasted on FullHD. Only you can decide whether you're going to keep your TV. Maybe a family member would like it and you can then treat yourself. Have you seen any posts from people saying they regretted the change to UHD? I haven't.

Ray, I do indeed have a GTX 1080i w/11GB VRAM. Since I've outlived my entire family, I have no one to gift with my current Toshiba 43" HDTV. I already have Visio 43" HDTV in my living room, and a 28" HDTV in my kitchen.

I have a small analog TV in my bedroom which hasn't been turned on it years. I go to bed to read until time to sleep, not watch TV. :laugh: I suppose I'll eventually get a 4k HDTV but not anytime soon.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fr Bill, by the time you get to a certain age if you really want something and have the means then I tend to get it. I sold my Sony TV to a friend who was delighted to get a decent TV at a good price. I’m sure if you offer your TV to someone suitable they’ll be happy to take it off you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

At the severe risk of sounding like one of the resident VR (and also more recently TIR) evangelists I will just state that: "after moving from 1080p to 4k I can never go back!"

Same here can never go back

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Once you go 4K, you'll never go back.

I'd rather game 30fps@4K than 120fps@1080.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI VENTUS 3x OC RTX 3070 8 GB, 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz, 1 TB NVMe SSD, 1 TB HDD, Sharp 43" 4KTV

I think we're straying away from the original question (so rare here) which was "is 4k really necessary?" and the answer is almost certainly no. Whether it would look better in 4k depends on your current resolution and monitor size and is another matter.

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 10/25/2019 at 2:35 AM, SierraDelta said:

You ARE a 4K evangelist, quit being in denial

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

4 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I think we're straying away from the original question (so rare here) which was "is 4k really necessary?" and the answer is almost certainly no. Whether it would look better in 4k depends on your current resolution and monitor size and is another matter.

I would mostly agree if you're limiting that to desktop users, although higher resolutions do make a noticeable difference. For pit builders, the higher resolutions are pretty much a requirement unless you don't mind the (very noticeable) difference.

Edited by b737800

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

I guess the question is necessary for what? Necessary to enjoy simming? Well, then even 1080p is not necessary. Necessary so that any further resolution increases is not discernable? Then we're back to the monitor size argument. The user with a 24" screen isn't likely to benefit much in terms of image quality with the step to 4K compared to the fellow with the 58" screen. Many of the users here arguing that 1080p is enough are also using puny screens.

As for performance factors, 4K adds very little addition CPU computing overhead compared to 1080p. So, if your GPU isn't maxing out, you'll be able to enjoy similar FPS at 4K as you can at 1080p. That's my experience at least.

Edited by odourboy

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Not everyone can afford top end hardware & screens, & there many using laptops. 

I'm sure that a lower resolution will be very suitable.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

7 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Not everyone can afford top end hardware & screens, & there many using laptops. 

What you say is likely true, but it's not a reason to punish those that can afford better hardware.

Game / simulator developers need to keep pushing boundaries or we will always have to suffice with the same old same old. If they can produce new software that runs well, even if at varying qualities, on a broad spectrum of systems then we all win.

• Like 1

Indeed, just as those of us should not be punished for not having better hardware as well. 

But I'm looking forward to see if, as Microsoft has said, they want the sim to run on as wide a range of hardware as possible. 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...