Sign in to follow this  
Quackarov

Military Jet Trainer Recommendations.

Hey everybody,

What do y'all personally recommend for me to check out for some jet training airplanes.  I have the Milviz Talon but after a bit of toying around, I realized that I should be looking for something a bit slower.  I am just starting out with it and want to take it slow to begin.  I would like to stick with Jets.

Thanks in Advance,

Andrew

@Quackarov

Hi

I recommend you to use Digital combat simulator (DCS), it has two wonderful jet tranning airplanes: L-39C and C-101EB, both of them are subsonic airplanes, therefore, they are slower than the T-38 Talon which is actually a F-5

Both have the advantage that you can share the cockpit with a partner, instructor ..... in multiplayer.

DCS uses a free base platform and then you can add airplanes and operating theaters. Includes two free planes the TF-51D and the Su-25TYou can only fly in the operating theater of the Caucasus. You can try it:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

Hardware requirements:

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Honestly DCS is a simulator that demands a lot of ram and gpu memory. If you want to enjoy DCS with acceptable graphic quality you need at least 16GB of RAM and a GPU with at least 6GB of GDDR5, I have a GTX1060 6GB and I don't complain

DCS L-39C / ZA

Two seat Jet trainer aircraft L-39C is intended for basic and advanced pilot training in visual and instrument flight rules weather conditions, day and night and also for combat use against air and ground targets.
Its development started in the middle 60s of the last century by the Czech “Aero Vodochody”. In the 70s the aircraft has entered service and is still in the operational use in over 30 countries worldwide.

The DCS L-39C is the most accurate computer simulation of this aircraft among flight simulators available for PC.
The aircraft systems, engine and weapons have been simulated in full. The professional flight model has been developed. All the real procedures are possible in two interactive cockpits. Highly detailed and accurate model of the aircraft will make you feel the unforgettable sense of flying the famous “flying school desk”, which opened the way to the sky to thousands of air forces pilots worldwide.

Key Features of the DCS: L-39 Albatros:

• Professional Flight Model that accurately mimics the performance and flight characteristics of this legendary aircraft
  • Highly detailed, six-degrees-of-freedom (6 DOF) cockpit
  • Interact with cockpit controls with your mouse
  • Fully modelled weapon system
  • Accurate L-39C and L-39ZA models and cockpits with correct country markings
  • Detailed modelling of the L-39 instruments, weapons, engine, radios, fuel, electrical and hydraulic systems
  • Fly from either the front seat or back seat
  • Cooperative multiplayer in the same aircraft
  • Interactive training missions
  • Two versions of aircraft: L-39C trainer and L-39ZA light attack

Chuck's Guide: https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-l-39za-albatros/

L-39 Albatros: Kursant campaign

The L-39 Albatros: Kursant Campaign is a single-player campaign for the L-39C/ZA aircraft. You will learning basic and advanced points:

• Low altitude navigation training
  • Learning aerial reconnaissance using real-life tactics
  • Detailed instruction on bomb, rocket, and gun weapon delivery against ground targets, following realistic ingress maneuvers
  • Interception of aerial targets with R-60 air-to-air missiles.

Note: The DCS: L-39 Albatros is required to be installed for the campaign.

DCS C-101EB / CC

DCS: C-101 Aviojet will include both the C-101EB and C-101CC models. The C-101EB model is the primary jet trainer and aerobatic display aircraft of the Spanish Air Force, whilst the C-101CC model, with its 7 hard-points and uprated engine, is a versatile light attack aircraft that has seen combat with the Honduras Air Force against drug traffickers. It is also in service with the Jordanian and Chilean air forces.

The two models of the C-101 have many similarities that include cockpit layout, core-systems operation, and aerodynamic design. This commonality brings something for everyone to include lead-in jet training, advanced aerobatics, and light attack.

Features of DCS: C-101 include:

C-101EB and C-101CC:

• Realistic flight model that represents the actual performance and flight mechanics of the aircraft at a professional level and with absolute accuracy
  • Highly detailed, six-degrees-of-freedom, clickable cockpit
  • Complete and accurate aircraft systems implementation (electrical, fuel, hydraulic, pressurization, oxygen, radio, navigation)
  • Complete circuit breaker simulation with correct failed systems behaviours
  • TARSYN gyro system replicated with exacting detail
  • Accurate flight director system
  • Custom air data simulation (airspeed/altimeter behaviours, etc.)
  • Pitot system icing implemented as well as many other specific features and effects
  • Multiplayer two-seater controls
  • Realistic implementation of all systems (radios, navigation, etc.) on both cockpits, including interaction between front and rear seats
  • Realistic GPU model

C-101EB:

• Realistic smoke system

C-101CC:

• Weapons system with air-to-air short-range IR missiles, gun pods, bombs, rockets and Sea Eagle anti-ship missile

Review: https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-aviodev-c-101eb-cc/

Chuck's Guide: https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-c-101cc-aviojet/

Regards

Edited by E69_Brisafresca
  • Like 1

Several good options for P3Dv4. Here are some I fly:

-- JustFlight BAE Hawk

-- LotusSim L39 

-- Dino's Aermacchi M345/S211

-- Dino's MB-326 (donationware)

-- Dino's new TA-4 is getting good reviews but I dont have it yet

Edited by yurei
added v4 for P3D
  • Like 1

I think the Lotussim L39 still works in p3d v4.  I'd buy that!  Amazing addon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I think the Lotussim L39 still works in p3d v4.  I'd buy that!  Amazing addon

Isn’t there an issue with the lights and sounds with Lotus Sim L-39 in P3D...?

Chris Camp

Military Trainers - go to DCS 

I did heavy research for my DCS setup.  The Mirage, F-5 and F-18 are fantastic addons.  These are the planes to buy.

I can not do Russian planes as I can not read the cockpit in Russian, way too much work for me.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

If you are interested in experiencing the most immersive and realistic feel of flying...DCS!  The L-39 would be a very good choice.:)

Once you've mastered the L-39, I'd suggest the F-5E.

Edited by FDEdev

Yes, DCS is the best option but if you’re sticking with P3d the just flight Hawk is good, 420kts low level cruise. There’s also an X-Plane version in case you swap sims. It’s a fairly simple aircraft with large analog instruments which work well in VR

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

2 hours ago, Skywolf said:

I can not do Russian planes as I can not read the cockpit in Russian, way too much work for me.

you can change the cockpit to English from option menu

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

If you are interested in experiencing the most immersive and realistic feel of flying...DCS!  The L-39 would be a very good choice.:)

Once you've mastered the L-39, I'd suggest the F-5E.

+1

A little bit of Albatros 😁😎

36 minutes ago, E69_Brisafresca said:

you can change the cockpit to English from option menu

But you still end up with that ridiculous brown for sky ,blue for ground ADI ball though , or can that also be changed for something a little more western and logical ?

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

18 minutes ago, jon b said:

But you still end up with that ridiculous brown for sky ,blue for ground ADI ball though , or can that also be changed for something a little more western and logical ?

Excuse me, but  you're getting confused with MIG15 ADI, L-39 ADI is more ''western''

I'm sure there is some explanation why the MIG-15 ADI is like that.

L-39C

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/41e/Screen_150722_133909.jpg

MIG-15

Screen_141219_235647.png_Thumbnail0.jpg

Ah Yes, I see what you’re saying. I don’t own the mig so it must be something else I’ve seen, but the L39 has the funny instrument where the wings move and the card stays stationary which I can’t get on with I’m afraid .

787 captain.  

Dino's T-45C Goshawk is a great trainer with the added benefit of allowing you to do carrier ops as your skills improve.  And its free!

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/5638/fsx-boeing-bae-t-45c-goshawk/

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

59 minutes ago, jon b said:

Ah Yes, I see what you’re saying. I don’t own the mig so it must be something else I’ve seen, but the L39 has the funny instrument where the wings move and the card stays stationary which I can’t get on with I’m afraid .

In real life the real Russian pilots have used it, it's another philosophy, only you have to get used to it.

Regards

Honestly I don't mind the attitude indicator on the L39. I can fly solid imc in flightsim with it.  Once you fly it more it's no biggie.  I think the Lotussim bird is like 25 bucks...a no brainier.

Otherwise I agree with others...DCS is incredible... awesome VR awesome everything.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |